Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I've decided to aim for the 1000 miles a year again. Just managed to do last year, for the second time. Will be around 93 miles in January which is good for the time of year. I find this makes the week at Glastonbury straightforward. I love wandering off for ages just randomly exploring.

I've managed 123.4km in january, or 76.67 miles... Not great, but not bad considering my slow start to the month. 

I like your annual goal idea, so much so that I'm stealing it. Have some catching up to do though!!! About 17 miles off pace already. 😕 

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I've managed 123.4km in january, or 76.67 miles... Not great, but not bad considering my slow start to the month. 

I like your annual goal idea, so much so that I'm stealing it. Have some catching up to do though!!! About 17 miles off pace already. 😕 

That's no biggie as you are always going to do more walking in the much longer Summer days than the very short Winter ones. 

Edited by gigpusher

On 1/23/2023 at 3:12 PM, Padgey said:

Of course you will, tough conditions at the moment so fair play doing 17 miles a few weeks after Christmas in freezing weather. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, gigpusher said:

You will. Adrenaline on the day will get you through the rest. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, Alvoram said:

You'll be fine, 3 months yet, keep training, and you'll get further and further, then like gigpusher said, the occasion will carry you over the line. 

Thanks for the kind responses! Looked into my nutrition and it was way off. Lost 5kgs in a week taking me to 58kgs at 5'11. Not good.

Managed to run 20 miles yesterday feeling much stronger and getting more carbs into my recovery meals.

2 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Thanks for the kind responses! Looked into my nutrition and it was way off. Lost 5kgs in a week taking me to 58kgs at 5'11. Not good.

Managed to run 20 miles yesterday feeling much stronger and getting more carbs into my recovery meals.

The carb loading before the big runs and especially the marathons itself makes a big difference. My husband has done 2 marathons and for the first one he wasn't all that scientific about it and he said the last 6 miles were awful but for the next one he did it properly and it made all the difference. Honey on toast is a good quick carb optimised snack in the days before when you are trying to eat more food than you really want to. 

Getting married in August so is my main aim tbh...but I think I need to shift at least 3 stone by then.....hovering around the 17.5st mark and the excess weight is predominantly around my tummy.

Joined a gym today and having a health kick with regards to my dinners/boozing etc.

Lets see how we go. 🙂 

Just now, Alvoram said:

Dunno what it’s like anywhere else, but the cold breeze / wind here is making it tough this week. Only managed a 2.5km walk this morning 😞 

Yep Nuala (my poorly noise sensitive dog) wouldn't walk at all this morning. Thankfully Ferris is hardier so went out with him and did almost 6k steps. Will do another walk later but it is a bit breezy out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Yep Nuala (my poorly noise sensitive dog) wouldn't walk at all this morning. Thankfully Ferris is hardier so went out with him and did almost 6k steps. Will do another walk later but it is a bit breezy out. 

Just been for another quick one around the res… Took some pics, they’re ALL LIES. Looks lovely in the pics, but it’s horrid, freezing cold wind that seems to change direction so I’m walking into it no matter which way I walk. 🙈😂

3C07B545-1045-4D08-9C74-B6EF2E19B8FB.thumb.jpeg.a76fc581fb599985982eaceb6a6bdc28.jpeg

D443A0A6-2119-4B7B-BC21-D09E1052A3DE.thumb.jpeg.3413d05cb1748b22c4e426628c7db651.jpeg

AC6E8AE2-AE2B-49FF-8CC7-9B9972B3DB1B.thumb.jpeg.bf3b7a1680fba25ea5811278326c10d6.jpeg

8CFC40F4-573B-427A-94EF-CE7F8518AF1A.thumb.jpeg.0bc7fcb185a5424693090d21fcd77400.jpeg

The res isn’t often this high… Might grab my rubber dinghy out as that’s an awesome long twisting overflow chute (you can see the end of it in the wooded photo later)

2D947A17-1E6B-4253-A38E-8108D94D7CC7.thumb.jpeg.0dfa2776dd08f6a5f9c7b9f0f2538719.jpeg

9214F147-FF1F-4A83-BE5C-BDE09330F386.thumb.jpeg.61de1cbae49ffff1b3b9fbc54c3704fa.jpeg

see the bottom section of that overflow chute in the image above, always wanted to slide down it, would be so much fun! 

5BC43A41-4280-439A-95C2-DD5D22162661.thumb.jpeg.8de7fb54b8352b4eba4429fc44bcfe22.jpeg

F673BAA4-72AD-479F-9FE7-892D47D27E2C.thumb.jpeg.a6f31e32443b528cbbf04ef392dda1f4.jpeg

Bless Nuala, the wind noise puts Keira off too. Keira is sensitive, but the worst thing for her is traffic, I cannot walk her by roads at all, she terrified (sensible girl I guess.) 

Edited by Alvoram

59 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Just been for another quick one around the res… Took some pics, they’re ALL LIES. Looks lovely in the pics, but it’s horrid, freezing cold wind that seems to change direction so I’m walking into it no matter which way I walk. 🙈😂

3C07B545-1045-4D08-9C74-B6EF2E19B8FB.thumb.jpeg.a76fc581fb599985982eaceb6a6bdc28.jpeg

D443A0A6-2119-4B7B-BC21-D09E1052A3DE.thumb.jpeg.3413d05cb1748b22c4e426628c7db651.jpeg

AC6E8AE2-AE2B-49FF-8CC7-9B9972B3DB1B.thumb.jpeg.bf3b7a1680fba25ea5811278326c10d6.jpeg

8CFC40F4-573B-427A-94EF-CE7F8518AF1A.thumb.jpeg.0bc7fcb185a5424693090d21fcd77400.jpeg

The res isn’t often this high… Might grab my rubber dinghy out as that’s an awesome long twisting overflow chute (you can see the end of it in the wooded photo later)

2D947A17-1E6B-4253-A38E-8108D94D7CC7.thumb.jpeg.0dfa2776dd08f6a5f9c7b9f0f2538719.jpeg

9214F147-FF1F-4A83-BE5C-BDE09330F386.thumb.jpeg.61de1cbae49ffff1b3b9fbc54c3704fa.jpeg

see the bottom section of that overflow chute in the image above, always wanted to slide down it, would be so much fun! 

5BC43A41-4280-439A-95C2-DD5D22162661.thumb.jpeg.8de7fb54b8352b4eba4429fc44bcfe22.jpeg

F673BAA4-72AD-479F-9FE7-892D47D27E2C.thumb.jpeg.a6f31e32443b528cbbf04ef392dda1f4.jpeg

Bless Nuala, the wind noise puts Keira off too. Keira is sensitive, but the worst thing for her is traffic, I cannot walk her by roads at all, she terrified (sensible girl I guess.) 

On Nuala's worst days the front door closing can stop her walking, on her best days people can throw bricks in skips beside her and she'll carry on. She has a number of physical ailments, has cost us a small fortune and sadly until she's gone we live our lives in service to her. She's not a Winter dog any more that's for sure. She doesn't like wind, wet weather, loud traffic (we live on a main road), bins being moved or having rubbish put into them, car doors slamming, building work and her number 1 nemesis is fireworks. 

Unfortunately when she's having a bad spell like she is at the moment she becomes nocturnal so for the last few weeks we've been surviving on 3-4 hours sleep a night as she wakes us up with her panic attacks which requires that she licks you incessantly. She also finds 3 am the best time to go out for a poo as it's not as noisy. 

I'm majorly impressed with myself for sticking to my diet as usually when I've had no sleep is when I end up reaching for the snacks to keep me going in the afternoon. 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Good start to the day Nuala walked and I walked to the dentist and back so already on 11.5k steps for the day. 

The wind is bad though so Nuala has been allowed to go back upstairs to bed. Upstairs is her safe place when she's scared. 

Slow start here... just over 1k steps. But I'm over 26k for the week so far. 

Weds was a rest day last week if I remember correctly, if my body thinks it's getting one today it can think again... Going down to the res soon. 🙂 

Also, finally seem to be losing some of the weight I've gained recently. 🤞

Windy here too and I am just stuck behind my screen.

January: I reached the 2.5 K + active minutes which was a bit my personal goal! I did push a bit too much last week and had to recover the past couple of days though so I won't put the goal higher.

Although my weighting scale is OBVIOUSLY broken and as showing all the weight I lost,  I do feel like a couple of shirts fit better now, so that's that!

I need to do something, last year I volunteered and struggled to get back from Ped Gate A -> Oxfam field, a 45 min walking route across the top end of the site, Pyramid field etc. Stopped and started multiple times, thought I was going to collapse! I physically could not walk any more!

Here's to getting fit before the festival!

Sorry folks, I've let you down, I've let my friends down, I've let my family down, I've let my country down, but most of all, I've let myself down. 😭

Seriously though, after a good start to the week, Thurs, Fri and Saturday were write offs, 😕 I'll be lucky to make 70k this week. Nevermind, next week is a new week, and I still feel fitter than a few weeks ago, (if a little ill. 😕 ) 

15 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Sorry folks, I've let you down, I've let my friends down, I've let my family down, I've let my country down, but most of all, I've let myself down. 😭

Seriously though, after a good start to the week, Thurs, Fri and Saturday were write offs, 😕 I'll be lucky to make 70k this week. Nevermind, next week is a new week, and I still feel fitter than a few weeks ago, (if a little ill. 😕 ) 

Cheer up dude any amount of walking is better than none , plus another day down 🕺🕺🕺

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone! 

been following this post for a while and I’ve finally decided reading it isn’t going to shift the weight and get me fit like i need to be for Glasto!

I work from home and find I can be sat down the full day due to having to be in calls so I’m going to put the walking treadmill I bought a few years ago under my standing desk and walk whenever I’m in a call with camera off. I figure this will also stop be from stuffing my face with food/snacks during these calls too!

aiming to get my 10k steps a day next week then gradually build up the number of steps each week. 🤞🏼

Took part in Rombalds Stride yesterday, 23 miles trail run covering Esholt, Baildon Moor and Ilkley Moor. 

Was pretty tough going..... But my running time was 3 hours 56 mins so pleased with that. Been trying to improve my fitness over past couple of years and am signed up for a marathon in May. My mates who are coming to Glasto with me for the 1st time this year are also on it regarding trying to get a bit fitter!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sfroml said:

Took part in Rombalds Stride yesterday, 23 miles trail run covering Esholt, Baildon Moor and Ilkley Moor. 

Was pretty tough going..... But my running time was 3 hours 56 mins so pleased with that. Been trying to improve my fitness over past couple of years and am signed up for a marathon in May. My mates who are coming to Glasto with me for the 1st time this year are also on it regarding trying to get a bit fitter!

That's bloody impressive. Marathon should be a breeze posting that kind of time on that kind of terrain. 

Edited by Alvoram

IMG_20230205_193544.thumb.jpg.6c844a59333107d6192f453dab1d1200.jpg

Happy with those again. And still steadily losing weight. Just 5 kilos to go until I am officially not overweight. Still avoiding temptation especially at work (leftover breakfast hash browns are my nemesis!) which is probably a bigger achievement for me. I was always a 'just one won't hurt, oops I seem to have devoured all of them' type. Still am I guess but I'm managing to not have that first one.

And I've nabbed some half decent stuff from lost property at work to put off buying new clothes until I'm closer to my goal weight. My old stuff really is hanging off me now.

11 hours ago, philipsteak said:

IMG_20230205_193544.thumb.jpg.6c844a59333107d6192f453dab1d1200.jpg

Happy with those again. And still steadily losing weight. Just 5 kilos to go until I am officially not overweight. Still avoiding temptation especially at work (leftover breakfast hash browns are my nemesis!) which is probably a bigger achievement for me. I was always a 'just one won't hurt, oops I seem to have devoured all of them' type. Still am I guess but I'm managing to not have that first one.

And I've nabbed some half decent stuff from lost property at work to put off buying new clothes until I'm closer to my goal weight. My old stuff really is hanging off me now.

I'd say you are my Fit for Glasto twin if it wasn't for the pure weight loss. With 5 Kgs less I am off the overweight BMI too, and I've done 100 k steps last week. I still have clothing I am aiming to fit in though so that will be cheaper.. I am not weighting myself to avoid frustration but noticed that I lost some... "chest fat" 😛 Quite a good indicator for women!

Last week I managed my first 5 K running, albeit with two short breaks. Getting there! 

I am in awe of those able to do anything more than 10ks and always thought you had to be a superhuman to do that but I think I'm starting to see that persistence and training do really work. I am wondering when I'll plateau though.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

I'd say you are my Fit for Glasto twin if it wasn't for the pure weight loss. With 5 Kgs less I am off the overweight BMI too, and I've done 100 k steps last week. I still have clothing I am aiming to fit in though so that will be cheaper.. I am not weighting myself to avoid frustration but noticed that I lost some... "chest fat" 😛 Quite a good indicator for women!

Last week I managed my first 5 K running, albeit with two short breaks. Getting there! 

I am in awe of those able to do anything more than 10ks and always thought you had to be a superhuman to do that but I think I'm starting to see that persistence and training do really work. I am wondering when I'll plateau though.

Good effort with the 5k run. I think I remember you did couch to 5k,is that right? That's one aspect where you're way ahead of me. Haven't even started with anything beyond walking yet. Kept telling myself I wanted to lose some weight first, if only to protect my poor knees (and also didn't want to be the cliche of the fat bloke taking up running in the new year!) I'm running out of excuses though. 

8 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Good effort with the 5k run. I think I remember you did couch to 5k,is that right? That's one aspect where you're way ahead of me. Haven't even started with anything beyond walking yet. Kept telling myself I wanted to lose some weight first, if only to protect my poor knees (and also didn't want to be the cliche of the fat bloke taking up running in the new year!) I'm running out of excuses though. 

Yes, not the NHS one but an equivalent indeed. Now the goal is to do that without any breaks. I was worried about the knees too but if you just focus on getting it done without looking at speed/ paying attention to little aches, I found it OK, even though my knees are quite prone to injuries! Lots of stretching and warm up too. At my best I do 10 km/h in speed so the "running" is more a theory than a sight.

Anyway it's February now so you can start 😄