Volunteering 2023

neil93

5 minutes ago, Daniel445 said:

Just had confirmation for getting pre festive shifts, I was one they only got onto volunteering a few weeks ago. Unbelievable! 

My group of three also got selected for pre-festival shifts, genuinely can’t believe it. Feeling extremely, extremely grateful. 

• Upvote 2

good on you earlies people! 

i'm going to be heading to glastonbury town on the sunday this year, ive never been up the Tor or to the Abbey so quite fancied doing that on the sunday: ahead of a big dinner, a night in a travelodge and a little 20 min drive to the oxfield to set up on the monday morning. Much better to do the four hour drive on sunday rather than through monday morning traffic . .  Cant bloody wait now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'll be there with Oxfam Monday! Just had the arrival email as well. Feels so real.

I'll be there Monday for a bit. Will register, get the tent up then go home for the rest of the day.

Trying to balance keeping the Wife / daughter happy by not spending to much time pre-festival on site.

Will come back Tues morning / lunchtime.

Just now, JoeyT said:

I'll be there Monday for a bit. Will register, get the tent up then go home for the rest of the day.

Trying to balance keeping the Wife / daughter happy by not spending to much time pre-festival on site.

Will come back Tues morning / lunchtime.

Gates open at 10am, but you'll not be able to register/get wristbanded til 1pm i think 👍 just FYI!

First time volunteering with Oxfam and I'm going solo. I'm planning on going down on the Monday to hopefully meet some friendly faces! I was expecting the email to mention where the campsite is located - is it the big staff campsite in Pylon Ground or elsewhere?

Edited by wairey
Added question

3 minutes ago, wairey said:

First time volunteering with Oxfam and I'm going solo. I'm planning on going down on the Monday to hopefully meet some friendly faces! I was expecting the email to mention where the campsite is located - is it the big staff campsite in Pylon Ground or elsewhere?

Hey! its not in Pylon staff camping, we've got our own Oxfield just outside gate B. parking is in the field next door, so lugging your gear in is extremely easy - its great but you probably will get fed up of powering up Muddy Lane when you're knackered at the end of every day 😄

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Hey! its not in Pylon staff camping, we've got our own Oxfield just outside gate B. parking is in the field next door, so lugging your gear in is extremely easy - its great but you probably will get fed up of powering up Muddy Lane when you're knackered at the end of every day 😄

Amazing! Thank you for confirming 😄

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Just on the camping.

I know they say you should camp in Oxfield but how rigorously is this enforced?

Just now, JoeyT said:

Just on the camping.

I know they say you should camp in Oxfield but how rigorously is this enforced?

I would say it’s not enforced rigourously, but if you try to leave Oxfield with all your camping gear after the festival opens you will be noticed as there is security on the field, and they are likely to believe you are doing a runner from your shifts.

Just now, amfy said:

I would say it’s not enforced rigourously, but if you try to leave Oxfield with all your camping gear after the festival opens you will be noticed as there is security on the field, and they are likely to believe you are doing a runner from your shifts.

That's fair.

My friends will all be up in the East Camper Fields so debating on whether to camp up there or at Oxfield.

I can get my camping stuff in with them in their caravans so shouldn't look dodgy when entering / exiting the oxfam field!

Will certainly be parking there though.

15 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

It's a disgrace

No workers should have to camp outside the fence.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

good on you earlies people! 

i'm going to be heading to glastonbury town on the sunday this year, ive never been up the Tor or to the Abbey so quite fancied doing that on the sunday: ahead of a big dinner, a night in a travelodge and a little 20 min drive to the oxfield to set up on the monday morning. Much better to do the four hour drive on sunday rather than through monday morning traffic . .  Cant bloody wait now! 

I always drive down on the Sunday and stay close by. Just makes the Monday so nicer. Getting on for 6 hour drive for me

4 minutes ago, gordong said:

Does anyone have any experience about moving their campsite into the main festival after working the earlys? I think officially this isn’t allowed and I’m assuming I’d still have the issue with security thinking I’m trying to do a runner…

I've thought about it and realistically you're probably gonna need a car to leave stuff in and 2 tents and do it over 2 or 3 trips on Wednesday.

Edited by Leyrulion

41 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It's a disgrace

The only option would surely be to extend the fence. I'm also fairly sure putting staff camping all round the edge is an attempt to reduce the number of points for jumpers.

Edited by Leyrulion

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

It's a disgrace

I’d rather camp outside the fence and be right next to the car park, that way I don’t have far to lug my stuff (and I do take a decent amount of things, I want a proper sleep so there’s duvets, pillows, all that shebang) cos the bit that always pissed me off something chronic about going as a punter was carrying all my worldly possessions the 76,093 miles from car to campsite loaded like a camel! Of course getting an on-site car permit would be ideal, but there’s not a huge amount of those 

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Yes. Whilst recycling crew have the advantage of being inside the fence it's still a trek up Muddy Lane or up through pyramid field a few times a day!  Good for the calf muscles 

50 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I've never had them in 15 years of stewarding, so you have all been very fortunate.

Wow. How many festivals do u do with oxfam each year and how big is your group that applies?

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

That's fair.

My friends will all be up in the East Camper Fields so debating on whether to camp up there or at Oxfield.

I can get my camping stuff in with them in their caravans so shouldn't look dodgy when entering / exiting the oxfam field!

Will certainly be parking there though.

You may be given general Oxfam volunteer role like what I got for 2019 (I can't remember what it's called yet again but someone told me a few pages back)...I got my shift pattern but not any actual locations so I had to report and meet at the Oxfam tent for each shift and then given my role...2 earlys and 1 night so had to be at Oxfam tent for 5.45am on earlys and 21.45 for the night shift

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Usually Bearded, but also Boomtown, Beautiful Days and Shambala.

Oh that is odd then. Makes me feel even more lucky. See you at boom and shambala too though!! Can see you know independently run festivals are the real ones though ❤️