Volunteering 2023

neil93

On 3/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, From the Woods said:

I'm feeling very fortunate as I've been accepted to join the recycling team this year - it will be my first time attending as a volunteer and it has sent my anticipation to a whole new level!

A few questions arising:

• We were also lucky in securing normal tickets back in Nov.  (Two tickets that will definitely be added to the resale!).  I'm surprised that there is no process for moving the £50 deposit to our 'guarantee' payment to the Recycling team.  Does this apply to all the volunteering organisations?  I'm assuming I've got zero chance to claim back from Seetickets?
  • We missed last year's, and the last pre-pandemic, Glastos,  but would I be right to assume that you can now get by 100% cashless?  As I'm hoping to get post festival shifts this is asking for right up to the Thursday after.
  • No idea how packed the Recycling campsite gets - will there be plenty of pitch options if arriving early afternoon on Tuesday?

Was that via a charity route or direct from recycling team via a recommendation?

1 hour ago, Cridge said:

What did you use to set up an alert? 

I could do with setting one up myself.

Just a basic one using Distil extension on chrome as advised on here.

Depending on the outcome of the resale I might have to get a bit more pro and get live texts sent etc.

Just shows that its anytime spaces can pop up and not just office hours. 

Edited by faymondo

WaterAid are releasing slots now.  Just been offered Clear up Crew
Positive is on site from the Mon / Tue before but no shift until the Tuesday after the festival.
Negative is it can be a challenging role physically and mentally and ten days in tent.

Please oh please weather Gods...

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Positive is on site from the Mon / Tue before but no shift until the Tuesday after the festival.
Negative is it can be a challenging role physically and mentally and ten days in tent.

Good to know! Hopefully I hear something soon. 

40 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Excellent.   Have you volunteered with them before? 

35 minutes ago, med said:

Excellent.   Have you volunteered with them before? 

I have med and also Volunteer with them all year round on bits and bobs.

I don't mind admitting I first volunteered with them in 2019 just to get into the festival but it opened a door for me and am in it for the long haul now.  Cut me and I bleed WaterAid Blue

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I have med and also Volunteer with them all year round on bits and bobs.

I don't mind admitting I first volunteered with them in 2019 just to get into the festival but it opened a door for me and am in it for the long haul now.  Cut me and I bleed WaterAid Blue

That's so good, I've got a feeling that is the way forward for me now as well, if I can get my foot in the door.. 

Just now, foals98 said:

Just got a place with WaterAid with the loo crew - anyone have much experience with this or know what it’s like? Also what is the shift policy at WaterAid?

Did it in 2019.  it is not as bad as you would think and we had a great crew that year.  The only time I thought WTF am I doing here?! was the Saturday morning shift at 07:00 and it was already about 25 degrees and rising.  I has been in the SE corner till 04:30 and had an hours sleep.  It was a brutal shift but of my own making.  Lived on Berrocca and will power alone that day.

You camp in a brilliant place in a small field right opposite Worthy Farm.  The food is good, Toms bar is cheap and a great place to meet folk.  Hot showers etc.

There are 4 shifts which are 6 hours and you will deffo get a free day.  In 2019 I had a shift on Wed, Thur, Sat and Sun.  

Mate, loo crew is loo crew but as I said back in 2019, it was way less challenging than I anticipated.  The WaterAid staff are absolutely fantastic and i have made some good friends in the WA Community

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:
11 minutes ago, foals98 said:

Just got a place with WaterAid with the loo crew - anyone have much experience with this or know what it’s like? Also what is the shift policy at WaterAid?

Did it in 2019.  it is not as bad as you would think and we had a great crew that year.  The only time I thought WTF am I doing here?! was the Saturday morning shift at 07:00 and it was already about 25 degrees and rising.  I has been in the SE corner till 04:30 and had an hours sleep.  It was a brutal shift but of my own making.  Lived on Berrocca and will power alone that day.

You camp in a brilliant place in a small field right opposite Worthy Farm.  The food is good, Toms bar is cheap and a great place to meet folk.  Hot showers etc.

There are 4 shifts which are 6 hours and you will deffo get a free day.  In 2019 I had a shift on Wed, Thur, Sat and Sun.  

Mate, loo crew is loo crew but as I said back in 2019, it was way less challenging than I anticipated.  The WaterAid staff are absolutely fantastic and i have made some good friends in the WA Community

I have a super similar story and feeling about WA. Alsop can't recommend their camping spot higher. It's amazing!

20 minutes ago, Scrump said:

I have a super similar story and feeling about WA. Alsop can't recommend their camping spot higher. It's amazing!

Where is the WA campsite? 

9 hours ago, Ged Devereux said:

I take it Water aid places also open back up after the resale? 

They do offer slots occasionally as people drop out for a variety of reasons but they get offered to those who have lodged their applications already. It does not seem to be a live system like Oxfam with places coming up for grabs.

15 hours ago, stuie said:

Where is the WA campsite? 

15 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Up Muddy Lane and turn left before St Mary's Gate directly opposite Worthy Farm

It's next door to the recycling camping.

As @Jay Peesays great location and also handy that it's inside the fence.  

anyone got more info on shelter shifts? Can’t seem to find much re: shift patterns or start and finish times.

do you get 3 night shifts or is it a mix of day and night? Only gig I’d really love to see is Elton so what’s the likeliness of getting my shifts done before Sunday night 😂 I’ve done oxfam before and that was a total mix of mornings and lates - just wondered if shelters the same?

also I did email shelter re: travel and they mentioned that they are looking into potentially offering a drive option - may not happen but fingers crossed! Would be fab to be able to drive on Tues rather than via coach. X

Edited by lazymagnet

On 3/23/2023 at 5:37 PM, Scrump said:

Thanks all - I've just accepted my offer!

That's quite good to hear you'll definitely get one full day of music

What's shift swapping like? Really want to see AM headline! I'm not as fussed about other headliners but would be awesome if I could swap with people

8 minutes ago, foals98 said:

That's quite good to hear you'll definitely get one full day of music

There's a risk your day off could be on Wednesday. Full transparency!

Don't think you can shift swap with water aid. Both above points are downsides but still a great way into the festival if you ask me. 

Like @Jay Pee I now volunteer with them all year round despite initially seeing them as a way to the festival.

18 minutes ago, Scrump said:

There's a risk your day off could be on Wednesday. Full transparency!

Don't think you can shift swap with water aid. Both above points are downsides but still a great way into the festival if you ask me. 

Like @Jay Pee I now volunteer with them all year round despite initially seeing them as a way to the festival.

Good shout Scrump. I had a different role last year and my day off was indeed Wednesday. That said, whatever your day off is, it's party time!

The other thing to consider is the shifts are, I think, really reasonable. 4 X 6 hour shifts is one day out of six days on site and access to staff bars from Tuesday provides plenty of opportunities.