Glasto without the music

Supermerv

On 8/2/2022 at 10:03 AM, Skip997 said:

No, but I have seen people watching acts on I player from their caravan/motor home.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, DareToDibble said:

This does blow my mind a little bit. I guess they would only do this with acts they're not overly fussed by seeing but still.

Each to their own I guess!

My wife sat in the caravan and watched Florence headline…. On the tv..

she was recovering from a bad motor vehicle accident and had broken her pelvis (amongst other bits) and with hindsight should not have attempted going tbf…

Edited by BlueDaze
Correction

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

If you are heavily into comedy or circus, you can easily get your ticket price worth. Honestly some of the bigger mainstream circus acts they have on will charge £80-120 for ringside seats at a London residency. 

But yeah, Glastonbury has always had a weird relationship with it's "festival of performing arts" label. A lot is made of the other stuff but not much invested in it. 

Not sure it's true that there's not much invested in non music - the T&C area has a massive budget and I believe (it was true as of ~6-7 years ago anyway) that they issue more performer wristbands than any other self contained group within the festival hierarchy - so more than any of Silver Hayes, the Greenfields, Avalon&Glade, or The Park for example.

Beyond that, there's been various attempts over the years with mixed results. It gets largely overlooked in this type of conversation because it's not been hugely popular, but The Pier is the most recent example of a huge amount of time and money being invested in something that ultimately falls well within the category of Performance Art.

While they've all long since evolved into something else, a lot of the initial budget / intention to build up the various late night venues were at least partially on a Performing Arts basis - Arcadia being the prime example of this - Metamorphosis was a fantastic show mixing music and performing arts and it'd be great if they went back in that direction. Unfortunately these days they seem more interested in trying to competitively book big name DJs who ultimately play broadly the same shit as every other DJ on the stage - but I guess they've decided that's what people want from them.

7 hours ago, SouthbanKen said:

1999 and 2000 I went. Most of our group of 17/18 yr olds stayed pretty much at our campsite up near the pylon at the back of the main stage. Could see and hear the main stage but certainly wasn’t sat there watching the acts. From memory, I actually went and watched Ash and REM. Spent the rest of the weekend working my way through a massive block of soap bar. Great weekends both. 

A mate of mine who used to do as many festivals as me until he 'retired' in 2013 spent pretty much all of Reading Festival 2002 sat in our campsite drinking, taking drugs and talking to randoms. He came in the arena on the Saturday night, watched 15 mins of Beck and decided he preferred sitting drinking and taking drugs around the campfire.  

He rated it some years later as the best Reading he did.

He's now a sensible married father of two with a highly paid senior managers job and would shudder at the thought of going to a music festival these days.  Oh how times change. 🙂