Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im viewing it as a realist ... I will be reconsidering at a point likely not this year though ... im on minimum wage 

If you can still do it this year on min wage then surely people with deeper pockets than you are affording it even more easily. Got to remember a lot of Glasto attendees are well off middle class people

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

If you can still do it this year on min wage then surely people with deeper pockets than you are affording it even more easily. Got to remember a lot of Glasto attendees are well off middle class people

Careful now!

although I completely agree

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Surely no one has ever disagreed with that?! This forum is representative of that. Nadine Dorries tried for tickets fs!

She could easily get to the festival if she wanted - I can imagine (dark place) her helping out with the Power Ballad Yoga people or something - it's cool for her to say she tried

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

When I go on the Camping Bargains thread and see people discussing tents at over a grand I'm like I'm really out of place here 

Similarly the getting fit for 23 forum seems to be full of athletes this year, what's that about?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Surely no one has ever disagreed with that?! This forum is representative of that. Nadine Dorries tried for tickets fs!

I got into a huge argument with Neil when I first mentioned this, started by private message and spilled onto the forum, loads of people backed him up, although to be fair others objected to what he was saying. It even went as far as him trying to trace my IP address and wrongly concluding that I came from Hertfordshire, this along with the fact I use a Mac led him to conclude that I must be middle class (again wrong).

A significant number on here disagree about the middle class thing and get angry when it's suggested. Re the Nadine Dorries, several claim that she didn't really try for tickets.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

When I go on the Camping Bargains thread and see people discussing tents at over a grand I'm like I'm really out of place here 

That along with the surprising number who are willing to pay ridiculous prices for off-site clamping, which is so not "in the spirit' of the event, makes me feel the same.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That along with the surprising number who are willing to pay ridiculous prices for off-site clamping, which is so not "in the spirit' of the event, makes me feel the same.

Don't get me wrong. Some of those tents are lush and I'd definitely kip in one of them but I'm like 'how much!' I use a refurbished fresh and black 3 man that cost me 30 quid!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The festival obviously has very varied roots, it sounds like it used to be a bit of a wild west but then it's also had people like Arabella Churchill organising it.  How much has it changed over the years and what has driven that?  (e.g. rising ticket prices, improving food & facilities, a wall, the BBC, muddy and sunny years).  In 2008 (poor year economically that one too, not sure when people started to feel affects) there weren't hundreds of thousands of middle class people waiting in the wings to scoop up all the unwanted tickets - seems to have changed a lot in 15 years!

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I got into a huge argument with Neil when I first mentioned this, started by private message and spilled onto the forum, loads of people backed him up, although to be fair others objected to what he was saying. It even went as far as him trying to trace my IP address and wrongly concluding that I came from Hertfordshire, this along with the fact I use a Mac led him to conclude that I must be middle class (again wrong).

A significant number on here disagree about the middle class thing and get angry when it's suggested. Re the Nadine Dorries, several claim that she didn't really try for tickets.

She only wants to go for the cider.

Just now, scatteredscreens said:

Don't get me wrong. Some of those tents are lush and I'd definitely kip in one of them but I'm like 'how much!' I use a refurbished fresh and black 3 man that cost me 30 quid!

Absolute steal that fresh and black. I've had ebay notifications for over 2 years and not seen any sell for under about £70 at that size

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Nothing to do with her class as such.  It's more that it's quite a hostile place for well known Tory politicians.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Nothing to do with her class as such.  It's more that it's quite a hostile place for well known Tory politicians.

Nice one Jamie (can't stand his shows or music and I'm a Liverpool fan, but I love his politics).

It may well be quite hostile to well known Tory politicians but a fair few have attended over the years.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

ahhh i forgot the detail im after a pop up - i currently have a 3man but want the lazy person's version!

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

I've gone in the reverse direction, takes me longer to wrestle the pop up bastard back into the bag than it does to set the 3 man up!

I have both and the pop up is harder to carry, takes up more room in car and has nearly caused me to have a breakdown in a field on a Monday morning on more than one occasion. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I have both and the pop up is harder to carry, takes up more room in car and has nearly caused me to have a breakdown in a field on a Monday morning on more than one occasion. 

Putting it back into the bag makes me feel like I'm murdering it. I'm also not a fan of the big circle bag either, 3 man all the way.

4 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I wonder how many people will forgo big holidays abroad for the next few years but do things here instead including festivals and gigs. We were considering going abroad next year but with 2 kids it will be 2-3 grand so if we did it would have been no Glastonbury. We decided against it with having to re mortgage next year but will still go to Glastonbury and that will be our main holiday next year. Hopefully we will get the weather like we are abroad. 

Yup - if anything, scoring a Glasto ticket has eased the pressure to do anything else next year. The Marillion weekend in the Netherlands and possibly the UK (got a hotel booked but not bought tickets yet), Def Leppard in Lytham and that's pretty much it for me. No other gigs or holidays. The only gig I will buy in advance for in the next year will be Spice Girls.

And it's the "in advance" thing that's bugging me. When someone like Blur or Pulp announce they are going back out and tickets are on sale next week, that gives people zero time to consider and budget. And if you really want to go, you can't leave it to chance that tickets will be available at a later date. Tickets are now on sale so far in advance, it feels like a constant pressure to invest in things that you can't appreciate for months (or even years). I could fork out £150 for Blur, lose my job and really wish I had that £150 again. Or feel the pressure to pay for transport / hotels / beers on top of a ticket I couldn't really afford in the first place.

So I ain't playing the game any more. There are very few of the old, expensive acts I haven't seen now. Last minute Twickets if I've got an evening free, and Glastonbury will more than satiate my fix.

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Be nice to watch an actual debate on the Left Field rather than usual "debate" of people who all agree with each other followed by back slapping and smokes... 

Dunno why they've not yet done a live Question Time from there on the Thurs evening. Would be great telly and could help ease the crowds elsewhere!

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

avForums is bad for that...."Read our review on the budget friendly 4k projector- rrp £4,999.99 " 🤣

8 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im viewing it as a realist ... I will be reconsidering at a point likely not this year though ... im on minimum wage 

7 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Ok, so you’re on minimum wage but still put £50 down for a ticket. Who are you imagining the people for whom £50 was too much are? 

This is my situation too. The £50 deposit was a considered purchase, and I hope to save the rest before balance payment, along with Xmas and birthday contributions. In reality, this maybe my last "as a punter" Glastonbury as I'm being priced out of it

Glastonbury attracts a relatively diverse crowd, but it undeniably attracts large swathes of middle class people. That’s not so much a Glastonbury thing, that’s more a festival thing. Go back 10/15 years and festivals in general were far more niche, now they’re completely mainstream and peoples mums go to them. People who wouldn’t have dreamt of going to a festival 10 years ago now see it as a normal activity, it just so happens that Glastonbury is the poster boy for festivals with it being broadcast on TV.

The fact that alternatives to camping have grown almost exponentially in this time is no coincidence, and reflects how there are more than plenty middle class people there now compared to 10/15 years ago.

• Upvote 1