ticket tips and tricks Glastonbury 2024 resales

Crazyfool01

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There's alternatives to massively raising the price. They'll at least be considering making significant cuts in order to bring costs down. By which I mean ditching an entire stage or area.

6 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Any other festival, yeah. I just don't think Glastonbury would go around slashing areas or stages. 

The other festivals are going to have a struggle, especially those that put tickets on sale the day after this year's events. Worse lineups all round I'm guessing next year

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

There's a reason for this. The BBC are not allowed to report from or broadcast from "the naughty corner". The reason given by Emily was that people don't want to be seen there by their parents/bosses whatever.

The late night areas need to stay, imagine the chaos if there was no post midnight entertainment.

Waffle.  The BBC may not broadcast live sets from the SE Corner, but they report from it every year. It gets more coverage than something like the Acoustic Tent does.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Waffle.  The BBC may not broadcast live sets from the SE Corner, but they report from it every year. It gets more coverage than something like the Acoustic Tent does.

Not total waffle, okay they may report on it, but broadcasting is banned, as are punters taking photos in NYC Downlow and The Guerilla Bar.

Do they not broadcast sets from Acoustic, I've not been in that venue since 1985.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not total waffle, okay they may report on it, but broadcasting is banned, as are punters taking photos in NYC Downlow and The Guerilla Bar.

Do they not broadcast sets from Acoustic, I've not been in that venue since 1985.

They've had BBC cameras in NYC Downlow on a few occasions - albeit with a focus on the performers rather than the punters.

The Acoustic Stage existed in 1985?

1 hour ago, rgill3 said:

Am I right in saying the rumour is Genosys went mouldy sitting in storage and so they had to do something at the eleventh hour?

Yes, that's right. 

The Guardian posted photos of it ready to be installed, looking worse for wear - and then it was scrapped.  I doubt it will return though. 

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The thing I'd be really concerned about is the late night areas. They don't really help with capacity as they're mostly empty during the day. They're hardly featured on the BBC coverage either. If Silver Hayes went there wouldn't be much impact. Even the naughty corner could be vastly simplified and reduced to a few big dance tents with no-name DJs. 

You've reminded me that part of Boomtowns rethink was apparently to be able to get more hours use out of their stages.  They realised it was a bit mad that huge stages they were paying for were empty for 8 hours a day (both the daytime and night time ones). They were essentially paying twice for the same infrastructure. 

This year they had stages running for essentially 16 hours on the Saturday. 

There's no real reason (other than the licence I know) for John Peel, Acoustic, left field to finish as early as they do. Or for temple, Arcadia, iicon to start so late. In a pinch you could merge stages and have them "switch" over. 

Boomtown had Kool & the Gang followed by Four Tet playing deep techno. 🤣 

12 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You've reminded me that part of Boomtowns rethink was apparently to be able to get more hours use out of their stages.  They realised it was a bit mad that huge stages they were paying for were empty for 8 hours a day (both the daytime and night time ones). They were essentially paying twice for the same infrastructure. 

There's no real reason (other than the licence I know) for John Peel, Acoustic, left field to finish as early as they do. Or for temple, Arcadia, iicon to start so late. In a pinch you could merge stages and have them "switch" over. 

That's what I don't get. I'm sure there's a way of using those tents you mentioned - JP, Acoustic etc, to do something in the evening without the sound systems being on fully or to keep them within the agreement. I know it's not to everyone's appeal, but if you had a silent disco in say, the Acoustic, you could at least get a couple of thousand people in there or queueing to get in. I'm sure there's other ways they can be used as well, even if it meant scrapping the Pilton Palais cinema and just showing a couple of films in there post 11pm. 

42 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's what I don't get. I'm sure there's a way of using those tents you mentioned - JP, Acoustic etc, to do something in the evening without the sound systems being on fully or to keep them within the agreement. I know it's not to everyone's appeal, but if you had a silent disco in say, the Acoustic, you could at least get a couple of thousand people in there or queueing to get in. I'm sure there's other ways they can be used as well, even if it meant scrapping the Pilton Palais cinema and just showing a couple of films in there post 11pm. 

Left field finishes at 10, temple starts at 8. Move left field into there.

BBC introducing finishes at 7, totem starts at 10. Put it in the vacant BBC tent. 

Obviously there'd be huge site changes and logistical rethinks required if you did that and in reality it wouldn't be as simple as merging stages but if costs are tight it seems like a logical way to cut costs and keep the experience similar. 

Assuming, that is, that cutting a couple of stages and sound systems would actually make a significant dent in overall costs.

12 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Oh yeah definitely. But there are radical options there. With the new sound system at Other you could take out Oxylers and make that a bigger capacity stage and then kill of the John Peel tent and make it camping.

Not saying I'm in favour of this but if costs really are an issue then there are options.

The thing I'd be really concerned about is the late night areas. They don't really help with capacity as they're mostly empty during the day. They're hardly featured on the BBC coverage either. If Silver Hayes went there wouldn't be much impact. Even the naughty corner could be vastly simplified and reduced to a few big dance tents with no-name DJs. 

It'd piss people off for sure and certainly cut the appeal of the festival to some people, but I've never got the impression that the Eavii really actually care about the after-dark festival-in-a-festival. They hardly ever talk about, and nor do the media. I genuinely do question if faced with the choice of massively cutting the after-dark elements of the fest, or pricing out a significant chunk of the audience, they would necessarily go with the latter.

I don't want it to happen either but if ticket prices are going to be looking like £350 I can almost guarantee it's at least being discussed as an option.

Lol think this is the most ive been annoyed by an eFests comment. The main Silver Hayes stages are largely the late afternoon ( e.g. couldn't get into the tent for Job Jobse B2B Palms Trax this year) relative to the size they take up, and theyre extremely needed at night time to take people away from SE Corner. Lonely Hearts was busy every night. 

Think the idea that Emily doesnt care about the "after dark" festival is ludicrous tbh, just an important as a collective as the rest of the festival. Not sure why the media would talk about it when they arent allowed to broadcast from it. 

Glastonbury is one of the best dance festivals in the world, even if the dance stages are secondary to the main stages, nuts to be flippant that removing half of it would not have "much impact" and that the SE Coner could be a few dance tents with "no-name DJs".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Lol think this is the most ive been annoyed by an eFests comment. The main Silver Hayes stages are largely the late afternoon ( e.g. couldn't get into the tent for Job Jobse B2B Palms Trax this year) relative to the size they take up, and theyre extremely needed at night time to take people away from SE Corner. Lonely Hearts was busy every night. 

Think the idea that Emily doesnt care about the "after dark" festival is ludicrous tbh, just an important as a collective as the rest of the festival. Not sure why the media would talk about it when they arent allowed to broadcast from it. 

Glastonbury is one of the best dance festivals in the world, even if the dance stages are secondary to the main stages, nuts to be flippant that removing half of it would not have "much impact" and that the SE Coner could be a few dance tents with "no-name DJs".

Agreed. I went to meet a friend post Sunday headliners this year at Lonely Hearts and it was completely rammed...I think Groove Armada were playing....took us a good 20 minutes to locate her!

15 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Or possibly more interesting lineups with lesser known but potentially better performers.

Nope. Worse lineups. First notable one in the u.s announced for next year last week. Big damn stretch for the likes of Baby Keem being second overall name and $400 usd just for ga. 

the pound going to parity kinda just wrecked a few more things. And im still crazy for saying itll reach £400 in 5 years eh....

97F61FD2-6FF4-479F-8F1E-4F15F77932E8.jpeg

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Left field finishes at 10, temple starts at 8. Move left field into there.

BBC introducing finishes at 7, totem starts at 10. Put it in the vacant BBC tent. 

Obviously there'd be huge site changes and logistical rethinks required if you did that and in reality it wouldn't be as simple as merging stages but if costs are tight it seems like a logical way to cut costs and keep the experience similar. 

Assuming, that is, that cutting a couple of stages and sound systems would actually make a significant dent in overall costs.

This all sounds very logical. Why have whole venues sitting empty for the day, just to open up past 9pm. 

I wonder how much they could keep the venues unique in this case. For example, Totem (is this place new?) sounds like it has a Native American vibe. Would that be lost if it was just the BBC introducing-Totem area? They'd have a couple of hours to change it around obv, but then they'd need all the ppl to bring out props etc.

16 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The other festivals are going to have a struggle, especially those that put tickets on sale the day after this year's events. Worse lineups all round I'm guessing next year

all festivals always have to guess at next year's costs.

11 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This all sounds very logical. Why have whole venues sitting empty for the day, just to open up past 9pm. 

I wonder how much they could keep the venues unique in this case. For example, Totem (is this place new?) sounds like it has a Native American vibe. Would that be lost if it was just the BBC introducing-Totem area? They'd have a couple of hours to change it around obv, but then they'd need all the ppl to bring out props etc.

Theres actually a limited number of substantial stages this would work for tbh, and its pretty much only those @Leyrulion mentioned in addition to the Rum Shack.

The others that start late at night are not really appropriate for day time use (Arcadia, ICON, Genosys, Downlow) or too small to be of any noticeable benefit (HMS Sweet Charity (dont even know what this is), Platform 23, Flying Bus, Salon Carousel)

18 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Theres actually a limited number of substantial stages this would work for tbh, and its pretty much only those @Leyrulion mentioned in addition to the Rum Shack.

The others that start late at night are not really appropriate for day time use (Arcadia, ICON, Genosys, Downlow) or too small to be of any noticeable benefit (HMS Sweet Charity (dont even know what this is), Platform 23, Flying Bus, Salon Carousel)

18 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

its not the budgets which are the issue for the smaller stages but the tickets needed foir the performers.

5 hours ago, MaxPower said:

It is, but it's only been one of the best dance festivals for the past 10-15 years. It's been one of the best all-round UK festivals for at least twice that.

I'm not arguing for this to happen, I'm just looking at the reality of it. Which is depressing. But costs are spiralling everywhere, and there's nothing the festival can do that doesn't somehow exclude people.

They can:

1) Put the ticket price up substantially - this prices out some people and diversity of audience has always been important to the festival

2) Cut some areas entirely - but crucially it needs to be areas that don't reduce the overall capacity much. Giving up on the "dance festival" side of things entirely is a possibility. As is giving up on the "family" side of things by gutting T&C.

Ask yourself honestly, if it comes to it, who do you really think the festival would give up on first? Families, less well-off people or dance music fans? 

The problem is most of the other easy cost-cutting measures are already in place. T&C and Avalon have had budgets gutted over the past five festivals, they're essentially just about keeping heads above water.

There are other ways to save but then you start having to look at the overall lineup, headliners and undercard, which is the festival bread and butter. The headliner thread seems to indicate that isn't happening.

Again, one can bury their head in the sand and just say "it's fine, just charge more and keep everything" and that might well be what they end up doing. But I'd caution against assuming that'll definitely be the case. 

2 hours ago, MaxPower said:

I think Arcadia, IICON and genosys could definitely do more day time stuff, it's just really hard to imagine because it would require redoing whole areas and merging genres that play. So that stages would really be entirely new rather than "merged".

E.g. IICON is big enough to have a stage so that could run say the park or Avalon programming. 

Or rejig Arcadia so the new helicopter comes out of west Holt's when that ends (ok that one might be a bit extreme). 

The festival would feel very different.