Mad Cool 2023

edge235

Subjective opinions and everything aside, who on Earth is this line up meant to be for? Last year seemed to have a clear demographic of “people who like a good festival” and the bands reflected that; huge guitar bands, anthemic sing along type bands and up and comers mixed with a great electronic and dance section. 

This year is just “bands on tour”

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Subjective opinions and everything aside, who on Earth is this line up meant to be for? Last year seemed to have a clear demographic of “people who like a good festival” and the bands reflected that; huge guitar bands, anthemic sing along type bands and up and comers mixed with a great electronic and dance section. 

I feel like the majority of the festivals this year are all very weird and not consistent, but Madcool is probably one of the worst of these. It seems like a hard year for bookers to make good and balanced lineup, many artists are just touring outside festivals on solo tours, could be that. 

6 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

I prefer this years lineup over last years. But I don't like Muse, Imagine Dragons or The Killers for instance. 

1 minute ago, matrainertje said:

I prefer this years lineup over last years. But I don't like Muse, Imagine Dragons or The Killers for instance. 

I didn't like those bands either, but I had Phoebe Bridgers, Pixies, The War on Drugs, Flume, Mura Masa, The Comet is Coming, Brutus, Deftones, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Local Natives, Fever 333, Alt-J, Sigrid, London Grammar, Yves Tumor... and many more. Diversity in the best way

tempted by this now, great festival for those looking for different things and not just the same thing over and over. some boring but some very interesting (like every festival you cant please everyone, even though some on here expect the festival to cater to just them alone) 

Janelle monae is a great additon especially if she is a plan B

• Upvote 1

The irony is as I sit and look at this poster; for the price of a ticket I could definitely justify it with going to see: Sigur Ros, The 1975, The Offspring, Franz Ferdinand, Rina Sawayama, Paolo Nutini, Nate Rateliff, City and Colour, Mimi Webb, Nova Twins, The Amazons, QOTSA, Black Keys, Kaleo, Spoon, Puscifer, BBC, Kevin Morby, Stone, RHCP, LG, Janelle Monae, The Prodigy, Primal Scream and Kurt Vile.

Easily enough to justify £160odd for a ticket, but because they aren’t clear about the logistics of the festival (ie where it is, what time the metro lines are running to etc) I’m just not booking it. Ironic, that they just can’t give a clear answer about the stuff people actually want to know

Just now, 49Lawson said:

The irony is as I sit and look at this poster; for the price of a ticket I could definitely justify it with going to see: Sigur Ros, The 1975, The Offspring, Franz Ferdinand, Rina Sawayama, Paolo Nutini, Nate Rateliff, City and Colour, Mimi Webb, Nova Twins, The Amazons, QOTSA, Black Keys, Kaleo, Spoon, Puscifer, BBC, Kevin Morby, Stone, RHCP, LG, Janelle Monae, The Prodigy, Primal Scream and Kurt Vile.

Easily enough to justify £160odd for a ticket, but because they aren’t clear about the logistics of the festival (ie where it is, what time the metro lines are running to etc) I’m just not booking it. Ironic, that they just can’t give a clear answer about the stuff people actually want to know

major stumbling block for me as well. why i cant with my planning back ground be comfortable with booking it 

7 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

I didn't like those bands either, but I had Phoebe Bridgers, Pixies, The War on Drugs, Flume, Mura Masa, The Comet is Coming, Brutus, Deftones, Chvrches, Wolf Alice, Local Natives, Fever 333, Alt-J, Sigrid, London Grammar, Yves Tumor... and many more. Diversity in the best way

Yeah I like those too (and St. Vincent!), but this years lineup has more appealing names for me (Sigur Ros, Primal Scream, Angel Olsen, Lizzo, Black Keys, Janelle Monae, QOTSA, Spoon, Rina Sawayama, Jamie XX, Kurt Vile, Blessed Madonna, Puscifer, King Princess,...)

My takeaways from yesterday’s announcement:

great announcements (for me):

- The Offspring

- Kaleo

Nice additions

- Himalayas

- primal scream

- Mumford & Sons

- Spoon

You guys are saying how great Janelle is… I cannot understand how she could secure this spot. It is already sad that Liam was pushed up a slot coz clearly couldn’t find a big enough name. But Liam is certainly not deserving the same spot as QotSA or Lizzo. But this Janelle to me is completely generic radio music without any character. And very few people listen to her compared to bands ina similar spot. I mean for god’s sake she is above The Prodigy…..

on another note: it is a bit sad that Gayle is out, and I know she isn’t huge or anything but I have never seen a band pulling out and not even mentioned in a post.

6 minutes ago, Akujin said:

- The Offspring

- Kaleo

Nice additions

- Himalayas

- primal scream

- Mumford & Sons

- Spoon

You guys are saying how great Janelle is… I cannot understand how she could secure this spot. It is already sad that Liam was pushed up a slot coz clearly couldn’t find a big enough name. But Liam is certainly not deserving the same spot as QotSA or Lizzo. But this Janelle to me is completely generic radio music without any character. And very few people listen to her compared to bands ina similar spot. I mean for god’s sake she is above The Prodigy…..

on another note: it is a bit sad that Gayle is out, and I know she isn’t huge or anything but I have never seen a band pulling out and not even mentioned in a post.

Oh man, such a bad take on Janelle. Listen to the album dirty computer start to finish.

Liam is of course more worthy of the spot than Lizzo. He's like rock royalty. A bit of a prick but still he plays the biggest songs from one of the biggest Bands of all time.

What's Lizzos claim to fame. I like Lizzo but let's not be mistaken here. Shes the questionable headliner. Not Liam 

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

9 minutes ago, Akujin said:

- The Offspring

- Kaleo

Nice additions

- Himalayas

- primal scream

- Mumford & Sons

- Spoon

I saw about 50 acts a couple of years ago at a different festival and Monae was the outstanding performer. Her songs taken on a whole new dimension when performed.

And she is not above the Prodigy, they are the same font size.

Watch other festivals in the years to come. She will always be a headliner now.

I will give her another chance. 🙂 

on Liam tho I disagree. Yes he is a former member of a band that no longer exists and even Oasis itself is not huge outside of the UK.

He is no longer really relevant outside of the UK. Maybe 1 out of a 100 people could name a single song from him.

Having said all this, I like him, but I would have much rather seen Limp Bizkit above him, rather than moving him up.

(and the order DOES matter, RHCP is not the same billing as Janelle… 

37 minutes ago, Akujin said:

(and the order DOES matter, RHCP is not the same billing as Janelle… 

Only to the most pedantic.

Mad Cool refer to Monae as a ‘headliner’, equally to RHCP as a ‘headliner.

And chose to put them in the same font size when they could have put RHCP above. 

Accidentally found this festival today after the QOTSA Glastonbury mistake. Going to give it a read up, as we are going to Madrid in July for my 40th.

The lineup looks decent, especially as we would just be doing a day.

For anyone that has been before, how is the festival? Worth a visit?

2 minutes ago, iamstreety said:

Accidentally found this festival today after the QOTSA Glastonbury mistake. Going to give it a read up, as we are going to Madrid in July for my 40th.

The lineup looks decent, especially as we would just be doing a day.

For anyone that has been before, how is the festival? Worth a visit?

While this will also be my first Mad Cool, What I will say is that the venue will be completely different.

Not only different location but a completely different set up because they are building an all year type of venue and that’s where they will have it.

So this year could be VERY different compared to previous years.

Even with all the changes, I am sure that the stages/timings will be similar. Interesting looking at the Clashfinder for this year and previous. It starts later than I thought (6pm), with only a few acts playing on one stage.

Will definitely be a change to the usual European 'lads' weekend away.*

* By 'lads', we all have families and are getting on a bit.