Green Man sells out in record time - what does this mean for November Glasto ticket sale?

billum

11 hours ago, gizmoman said:

There may actually be an increase in demand for domestic festivals next year, this summers weather was exceptionally good, virtually no rain at any of the festivals I went to, if people are strapped for cash this year they may well opt for a local festival rather than an expensive summer holiday in order to save money.

Exactly this. We wanted to go abroad next year but with everything that is going on and having to renew our mortgage next year we probably aren’t going to be able to afford it. 
Glastonbury was potentially going to be a no go and just splash out on a holiday in the sun but I just can’t see it happening now. We will try for tickets and if somehow we can get abroad the tickets will go back in the pot. I’m sure there will be lots of other people in the same boat.

Some friends who use to go but haven’t been in 8 years have been drawn back into it after this years coverage. The great weather this will draw in a new wave of attendees, I personally think ticket day will be one of the busiest yet but could also see the highest number of tickets returned for the resale 

It's impossible to predict the impact on Glastonbury because people have so many things they spend money on that cost of living crisis might put going to a festival as more important to some people and less important to others. For example if you are someone who usually has a fair amount of disposable income you generally comfortably go to many gigs during the year and do a festival or 2 and a holiday abroad or 2. If you have to cut something out you could make lots of decisions that could either increase or decrease the importance of a festival. You could decide going to the gigs is most important as it gives you something to look forward to on a more frequent basis so the festival might go down in terms of importance or you could cut back on the number of gigs you go to and make getting festival tickets your top priority as it's a relatively cheap way to see huge amounts of live music. 

I think the festival will still sell out this year. What would be interesting is if the cost of living crisis continues and we had a 2016 weather festival next year. If that happened I could see next year being a very different situation. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It's impossible to predict the impact on Glastonbury because people have so many things they spend money on that cost of living crisis might put going to a festival as more important to some people and less important to others. For example if you are someone who usually has a fair amount of disposable income you generally comfortably go to many gigs during the year and do a festival or 2 and a holiday abroad or 2. If you have to cut something out you could make lots of decisions that could either increase or decrease the importance of a festival. You could decide going to the gigs is most important as it gives you something to look forward to on a more frequent basis so the festival might go down in terms of importance or you could cut back on the number of gigs you go to and make getting festival tickets your top priority as it's a relatively cheap way to see huge amounts of live music. 

I think the festival will still sell out this year. What would be interesting is if the cost of living crisis continues and we had a 2016 weather festival next year. If that happened I could see next year being a very different situation. 

It’s difficult as you say to predict the impact of the cost of living crisis.  Food prices are really on the rise. Factor in mortgage payments, energy costs etc we are still in the early stages of how it will all impact family budgets. Glastonbury still offers great value but with a winter ahead some might find the cost too much, others will sacrifice other things such as holidays. But it will still sell out in the usual quick time. 

• Like 1

Yeah I think the refundable Glasto deposit scheme does make a big difference, with people saying we’ll happily pay the £50 in Nov and see how things are next April, when there could be a record number of returns if things haven’t improved.

But that still makes it impressive that GM sold out so quickly when you have to pay it all up front (well there is a payment scheme but not sure that’s widely taken up)

Or maybe people were thinking if they pay for their GM tickets now before the winter squeeze hits, that’s next year’s festival locked in as something to look forward to? If Glasto had the option to pay in full straight away maybe some would prefer that?

29 minutes ago, billum said:

Or maybe people were thinking if they pay for their GM tickets now before the winter squeeze hits, that’s next year’s festival locked in as something to look forward to? If Glasto had the option to pay in full straight away maybe some would prefer that?

It would still sell out as quickly as usual but alienate those who can only afford  the deposit and save up over the winter to pay the balance. 

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It would still sell out as quickly as usual but alienate those who can only afford  the deposit and save up over the winter to pay the balance. 

Yeah sure - shouldn’t alienate people if paying in full was optional though, you could still just put down the deposit

1 hour ago, billum said:

Yeah I think the refundable Glasto deposit scheme does make a big difference, with people saying we’ll happily pay the £50 in Nov and see how things are next April, when there could be a record number of returns if things haven’t improved.

But that still makes it impressive that GM sold out so quickly when you have to pay it all up front (well there is a payment scheme but not sure that’s widely taken up)

Yes the way I feel I'd happily pay all in one go and know I have at least that to be looking forward to. I wouldn't want them to get rid of the deposit scheme but the option to pay earlier would be good.