Yungblud
Pendulum
Neck Deep
Beabadoobee

BBC Radio 1 Stage
Bombay Bicycle Club
Lil Yachty
Sundara Karma

Love this but Simz was third down last year and she’s released a new album since. I think she will rightfully sub next time. I also think Aitch would sub. Ain’t no chance Deftones play. 

3 hours ago, Hart Attack said:

FRIDAY

Main Stage
Paramore
Two Door Cinema Club
Boygenius
Little Simz
Pale Waves

BBC Radio 1 Stage
The Wombats
Denzel Curry
Soft Play

----------

SATURDAY

Main Stage
Travis Scott
Kasabian
Aitch
Tom Grennan
Mahalia

BBC Radio 1 Stage
Deftones
Ashnikko
Skindred

----------

SUNDAY

Main Stage
My Chemical Romance
Yungblud
Pendulum
Neck Deep
Beabadoobee

BBC Radio 1 Stage
Bombay Bicycle Club
Lil Yachty
Sundara Karma

How well was BBC’s secret set attended?

I'm thinking Hart Attack is very close, I'd go something like:

FRIDAY

Main Stage// Paramore >> Olivia Rodrigo >> Two Door Cinema Club

Big Tent// Dermot Kennedy

SATURDAY

Main Stage// Travis Scott >> AJ Tracy >> Little Simz

Big Tent// Wombats

SUNDAY

Main Stage// Blink-182 >> Yungblud >> Ashnikko

Big Tent// Aitch

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Love this but Simz was third down last year and she’s released a new album since. I think she will rightfully sub next time. I also think Aitch would sub. Ain’t no chance Deftones play. 

Yeah I'd probably slot her in between Paramore and TDCC. Otherwise not bad. Deftones would be a very strong NME headline booking, if the festival wish to get a band like them back in today's climate.

15 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Wasn't really 3rd down though, 3rd down doesn't play at 6pm. On the face of it, it's written as 3rd down, but she was 5th.

Little Simz > Glass Animals > Polo G > Megan the Stallion > Dave

When there's an hour break on a stage while the other stage has a performance, that's just a single stage in reality. They aren't playing concurrently.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Wasn't really 3rd down though, 3rd down doesn't play at 6pm. On the face of it, it's written as 3rd down, but she was 5th.

When there's an hour break on a stage while the other stage has a performance, that's just a single stage in reality. They aren't playing concurrently.

Yeah this was my interpretation.

As for Deftones, I know they aren't really what people might expect at Reading these days, but I heard they've gained a new wave of popularity with Gen Z through TikTok (as have Skindred, apparently) so I figured they might be viable due to that. 

57 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Yeah this was my interpretation.

As for Deftones, I know they aren't really what people might expect at Reading these days, but I heard they've gained a new wave of popularity with Gen Z through TikTok (as have Skindred, apparently) so I figured they might be viable due to that. 

Hears that too. TikTok is amazingly regional though, may just be in the US

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Indeed. It’s a single stream of music 1-13 in reality.

We should also AGAIN remind ourselves there used to be 10 acts on the main stage anyway

3 acts have relaxed the whole second stage and Pit 🤣

…and they tried to make us think it was better

Not really a prediction, but more of just a concept poster and idea for the future of the festival...

5 stages - Main Stage (currently Main Stage East), BBC Radio 1 Stage (currently Main Stage West), BBC Dance Stage (currently the same), BBC Sounds Stage (replacing the current Festival Republic and BBC Radio 1Xtra Stage), Festival Republic Stage (replacing the Alternative Stage). 

Friday Reading - Saturday Leeds:

Main Stage: Blink-182 / Yungblud / Pinkpantheress / Rico Nasty

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Doja Cat / IDLES / Peggy Gou / The Band CAMINO

BBC Dance Stage: Hannah Laing / Belters Only / Jazzy

BBC Sounds Stage: Unknown T / FLO / Nafe Smallz

Festival Republic Stage: girl in red / Hot Milk / Wunderhorse

Saturday Reading - Sunday Leeds:

Main Stage: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / Mabel / Nova Twins

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Fred Again.. / The Wombats / Summer Walker / mxmtoon

BBC Dance Stage: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

BBC Sounds Stage: Lizzy McAlpine / Matilda Mann / flowerovlove

Festival Republic Stage: Sundara Karma / Teezo Touchdown / CMAT

Sunday Reading - Friday Leeds:

Main Stage: Olivia Rodrigo / Jungle / Ice Spice / Jacob Collier

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Kasabian / 30 Seconds To Mars / Mahalia / Black Sherif

BBC Dance Stage: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

BBC Sounds Stage: Fredo / Baby Queen / Cat Burns

Festival Republic Stage: Skindred / G Flip / TV Girl

Placings, acts booked and everything I haven't really thought about masses on this one, but it's more the concept I wanted to share - haven't worked out yet (par from 'headliners') if the acts on the Main Stage and BBC Radio 1 Stage will clash (hence why there aren't really any counter-programmed names). Think for those stages to have clashing acts during the day, it'd require the former MSW stage being moved in Leeds, to prevent some bottlenecks in the arena moving from the tents over to MSE.

In terms of the BBC Sound Stage, that stage can be a range of rap, indie, pop, alternative, rock, etc - whatever they're playing over on the BBC stations, Radio 1 particularly - merging together the names that would've appeared in the old Radio 1 tent, 1Xtra tent, FR Stage and the random stuff they're putting early on in the current Dance tent.

Then the new Festival Republic stage is more altered towards a new home for indie, rock, rock-rap, metal and alternative - essentially being a proper mix of the old FR, Pit, Lock-Up (how the current one is intended to be).

Finally, the Dance Stage will be back to it's former glory, with just dance acts on, instead of random bands and artists performing early on. 

Really hope I've not made this concept super confusing, but hopefully helps liven up this thread a bit again.

A quick mock-up poster I made below:

image.thumb.jpg.71bf331a0d905fd9f58f3848f968b215.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stanh said:

Not really a prediction, but more of just a concept poster and idea for the future of the festival...

5 stages - Main Stage (currently Main Stage East), BBC Radio 1 Stage (currently Main Stage West), BBC Dance Stage (currently the same), BBC Sounds Stage (replacing the current Festival Republic and BBC Radio 1Xtra Stage), Festival Republic Stage (replacing the Alternative Stage). 

Friday Reading - Saturday Leeds:

Main Stage: Blink-182 / Yungblud / Pinkpantheress / Rico Nasty

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Doja Cat / IDLES / Peggy Gou / The Band CAMINO

BBC Dance Stage: Hannah Laing / Belters Only / Jazzy

BBC Sounds Stage: Unknown T / FLO / Nafe Smallz

Festival Republic Stage: girl in red / Hot Milk / Wunderhorse

Saturday Reading - Sunday Leeds:

Main Stage: Travis Scott / Lil Baby / Mabel / Nova Twins

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Fred Again.. / The Wombats / Summer Walker / mxmtoon

BBC Dance Stage: Sonny Fodera / D.O.D / Switch Disco

BBC Sounds Stage: Lizzy McAlpine / Matilda Mann / flowerovlove

Festival Republic Stage: Sundara Karma / Teezo Touchdown / CMAT

Sunday Reading - Friday Leeds:

Main Stage: Olivia Rodrigo / Jungle / Ice Spice / Jacob Collier

BBC Radio 1 Stage: Kasabian / 30 Seconds To Mars / Mahalia / Black Sherif

BBC Dance Stage: Wilkinson / Bou / venbee

BBC Sounds Stage: Fredo / Baby Queen / Cat Burns

Festival Republic Stage: Skindred / G Flip / TV Girl

Placings, acts booked and everything I haven't really thought about masses on this one, but it's more the concept I wanted to share - haven't worked out yet (par from 'headliners') if the acts on the Main Stage and BBC Radio 1 Stage will clash (hence why there aren't really any counter-programmed names). Think for those stages to have clashing acts during the day, it'd require the former MSW stage being moved in Leeds, to prevent some bottlenecks in the arena moving from the tents over to MSE.

In terms of the BBC Sound Stage, that stage can be a range of rap, indie, pop, alternative, rock, etc - whatever they're playing over on the BBC stations, Radio 1 particularly - merging together the names that would've appeared in the old Radio 1 tent, 1Xtra tent, FR Stage and the random stuff they're putting early on in the current Dance tent.

Then the new Festival Republic stage is more altered towards a new home for indie, rock, rock-rap, metal and alternative - essentially being a proper mix of the old FR, Pit, Lock-Up (how the current one is intended to be).

Finally, the Dance Stage will be back to it's former glory, with just dance acts on, instead of random bands and artists performing early on. 

Really hope I've not made this concept super confusing, but hopefully helps liven up this thread a bit again.

A quick mock-up poster I made below:

image.thumb.jpg.71bf331a0d905fd9f58f3848f968b215.jpg

At least it admits MSW is a second stage, otherwise it does little with the issue with choice we currently have other than making one of the two little stages a little more diverse

Won’t be the majority choice but personally i’d happily swap out the second main stage for a return to 10 on the main and a return of the Pit/ a second FR type stream. 

More options is what’s needed, not just removing one thing for something else

14 minutes ago, Benj said:

More options is what’s needed, not just removing one thing for something else

This could easily give more options though, especially if par from headliners the MSW 'replacement' acts on the Main Stage and BBC 1 Stage clashed... It would just require a slight overhaul of the arena in its current state to avoid some bottlenecks, but don't think it would be the hardest thing in the world for Festival Republic to achieve. 

I've made a little Clashfinder to show what I mean. At least adds more choice and variety from recent years, and would be a step in the right direction.

2006935470_Screenshot2023-09-03at20_56_14.thumb.png.6ad9ecfdcc2d561b75dd450cbfe935a6.png

1 hour ago, stanh said:

Blink-182 / Travis Scott / Olivia Rodrigo

Is this the most likely headliner trio right now do we think? I like it. Think this would be perfect with your subs (realistically speaking)

Love the poster btw. Can’t wait to see it in the Reading Chronicle

Edited by gblock

9 minutes ago, gblock said:

Is this the most likely headliner trio right now do we think? I like it. Think this would be perfect with your subs (realistically speaking)

Love the poster btw. Can’t wait to see it in the Reading Chronicle

Cheers!

Still undecided on Travis Scott, depends if he just does his own dates over here next year, or does R&L alongside them, or just R&L - would be slam dunk booking though if they do get him.

O Rod seems pretty likely, then I'd imagine a tour early next year, then with festival dates in the summer. Would expect a few headline slots in North America and Europe.

Blink-182 make sense, Live Nation tour, sold very well, probably go down pretty well with the crowd, and requested a fair bit this year.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, stanh said:

Still undecided on Travis Scott

Yeah agree he’s the most unlikely of the 3 right now, still very very very early days though - doesn’t stop us discussing it though! 
Also think Fred again will take sub instead of the big tent, caught him at glasto and thought he smashed the sunset slot on the Other stage, he’s made for it 

2 minutes ago, gblock said:

Yeah agree he’s the most unlikely of the 3 right now, still very very very early days though - doesn’t stop us discussing it though! 
Also think Fred again will take sub instead of the big tent, caught him at glasto and thought he smashed the sunset slot on the Other stage, he’s made for it 

Don't know if I made it clear, but the Radio 1 Stage on my poster is just Main Stage West re-branded. Exactly the same stage, open-air and everything, just a new name for it, then can be marketed as a second stage instead of the MSW bs, but then have the ability to clash acts during the day, par from the headliners, different from how MSW was advertised when it was introduced. Dance, BBC Sounds and FR all would tents though. Fred Again.. in a tent these days would be dangerous. Could maybe see him even fully headline the festival, only put him lower because I think Olivia Rodrigo works better as a closing act.

3 hours ago, stanh said:

O Rod seems pretty likely, then I'd imagine a tour early next year, then with festival dates in the summer. Would expect a few headline slots in North America and Europe.

Seems a very easy choice assuming she’d want it and keeps any your relatively exclusive

Would be good for her cred but she culd could maybe earn more touring.

I reckon she’d be mad to turn it down. Headlining Reading would be a huge boost longer term, even if she could maybe earn more doing 4/5 more shows

An MSW if they keep the old format, less so. 

Reckon her with Fred Again as sub would be a pretty big deal day wise, if they’ve been relatively exclusive till that point 

4 hours ago, stanh said:

This could easily give more options though, especially if par from headliners the MSW 'replacement' acts on the Main Stage and BBC 1 Stage clashed... It would just require a slight overhaul of the arena in its current state to avoid some bottlenecks, but don't think it would be the hardest thing in the world for Festival Republic to achieve. 

I've made a little Clashfinder to show what I mean. At least adds more choice and variety from recent years, and would be a step in the right direction.

2006935470_Screenshot2023-09-03at20_56_14.thumb.png.6ad9ecfdcc2d561b75dd450cbfe935a6.png

I don’t reckon you can have two big outdoor stages playing the same time at reading. You’d have to rotate one stage and it would then be nightmare safety/ convenience wise

Otherwise it’s great…but why not just bring back the tent, so you can have some smaller bands play later slots/ in the dark, as opposed to broad daylight / 2pm just to jam in Doja Cat

1 hour ago, Benj said:

I don’t reckon you can have two big outdoor stages playing the same time at reading. You’d have to rotate one stage and it would then be nightmare safety/ convenience wise

Otherwise it’s great…but why not just bring back the tent, so you can have some smaller bands play later slots/ in the dark, as opposed to broad daylight / 2pm just to jam in Doja Cat

Hadn’t though about the sound clash actually, that is a very valid point. Maybe possible still, but just would require a complete overhaul of the arena at both sites to make it work. 

32 minutes ago, Benj said:

Just watched the Bakar set.

Massive crowd, good music, new music on the way.

There's your Bit Tent headliner over against the old man rock out this year...

Was gonna make a comment about him returning for a third year in a row but erm… I need to read the room😉🤣 

Really not sure if the tent will return next year though if I’m being honest. Perhaps keep both MSE and MSW, then sacrifice another tent, and replace that with the new R1, but then it brings the problem of there still not being as many acts as there once was - but, I don’t know if there ever will be that amount again. There is certainly a lot of options there though, just wonder which one logistically makes most sense, and what will be easiest for FR to market to try and scoop back some of the old regulars. 

1 minute ago, stanh said:

Really not sure if the tent will return next year though if I’m being honest. Perhaps keep both MSE and MSW, then sacrifice another tent, and replace that with the new R1, but then it brings the problem of there still not being as many acts as there once was - but, I don’t know if there ever will be that amount again. There is certainly a lot of options there though, just wonder which one logistically makes most sense, and what will be easiest for FR to market to try and scoop back some of the old regulars. 

I suspect it wont either and I certainly agree we will never see the quality or the quantity of acts as there were pre 2016-17ish when so many other festivals boomed and sucked up all the Reading talent for their stages.

We can dream though...  Personally Id sacrifice the dance stage and 1extra for a new big tent but I wouldnt be saying that if I liked dance music

They need to something big though I feel, no one wants more of the same (although it looks great on TV!)

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

Really enjoyed the Central Cee set too...(I really shouldve gone 🤣)

Deffo not like reported on the socials, where he turned up and didnt put any effort it.

V good

Honestly think he’s a future headliner - haven’t watched the set yet on iPlayer, but didn’t hear amazing things. Defo will give a watch though. 

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

Honestly think he’s a future headliner - haven’t watched the set yet on iPlayer, but didn’t hear amazing things. Defo will give a watch though. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0g0pgjy/radio-1-at-reading-and-leeds-festival-2023-central-cee?seriesId=b007xt4m-28-hip-hop-and-r-b

Here tis