2024 Festival

Chad888

Stages to be renamed: Festival Main Stage (more of a traditional festival lineup), and the BBC Radio 1 Main Stage (more radio friendly lineup).

Top 3 on each stage are staggered, but the remaining acts will be worse quality, cheaper booking, but cross over.

Fr/Sa

Eminem // J Hus // Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes

Royal Blood // Bombay Bicycle Club // Idles

Sa/Su

Blink-182 // Yungblud // Limp Bizkit

Fred Again.. // J Hus // Ice Spice

Su/Fr

King's of Leon // The Wombats // Lil Yachty

Paramore // Avril Lavigne // Pink Pantheress

Edited by Chad888
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Stages to be renamed: Festival Main Stage (more of a traditional festival lineup), and the BBC Radio 1 Main Stage (more radio friendly lineup).

Top 3 on each stage are staggered, but the remaining acts will be worse quality, cheaper booking, but cross over.

Fr/Sa

Sa/Su

Su/Fr

image.png.20403e031b261fc972603f3105ffcf14.png

20 hours ago, gblock said:

Kings of Leon & Courteeners to headline? 2018 style. That would sell well… not. Pretty sure that even sold poorly back then.

Do they even have new music or touring plans, or have F1 just offered them ridiculous cash for a one off gig do we think? Be very surprised if they get booked either way 

They've done concerts after F1 races in Abu Dhabi and Singapore, plus as part of pre-season testing in Bahrain. Clearly they're an F1 favourite, though it is something to see it evolve at Silverstone. I remember it being seen as a novelty when they booked Kaiser Chiefs to do it in 2014 as a first time ever for having it the night before the main race weekend.

The bass player says they're working on new songs, so some are coming. Though that race is same weekend as BST Hyde Park and the Finsbury Park gigs, so I'm guessing Silverstone plus London is the likelier way we'd see it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

image.jpeg.1c69b990724fb1094d4f8afe4a5b1283.jpeg

There goes my hero.

7 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Fr/Sa

Sa/Su

Su/Fr

I still cannot fathom Royal Blood - and who can? - but other than that, there's a decent spread there.

1 hour ago, gblock said:

What

Both massive artists and always a shock/unpredictable headliner. Maneskin are touring and headlining all over Europe so wouldn’t accept less. Can’t think of others who will do it. Think maybe Kings of Leon again but I’d be shocked if they’re there again and obviously they’d be MSE. MSW I can only really think of Kasabian/Courteeners who don’t look to be touring or releasing anything currently.

16 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Loving the stage guessing here! 😃

Give us a clue Paul!

My guess is 

MSE - same as

MSW - same as

Radio 1 tent - Genre Agnostic lineup in old dance tent footprint. Will have dance focussed post 6pm. Will hoepfully have much better screens  

Little tent 1 - FR same name. Same programming

Little tent 2 - New name. Heavier rock and smaller Rap artists. Will offer direct niche alternative to MS programming at headline times

51 minutes ago, Benj said:

Give us a clue Paul!

My guess is 

MSE - same as

MSW - same as

Radio 1 tent - Genre Agnostic lineup in old dance tent footprint. Will have dance focussed post 6pm. Will hoepfully have much better screens  

Little tent 1 - FR same name. Same programming

Little tent 2 - New name. Heavier rock and smaller Rap artists. Will offer direct niche alternative to MS programming at headline times

Losing the 1xtra tent which is probably the biggest draw for most kids? The most attended after the main stages...

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

Losing the 1xtra tent which is probably the biggest draw for most kids? The most attended after the main stages...

Didn’t go in 2023 but it was pretty much half full at best, sometimes pitifully attended the times I ventured past it in 21/22

19 minutes ago, Benj said:

Didn’t go in 2023 but it was pretty much half full at best, sometimes pitifully attended the times I ventured past it in 21/22

1Xtra has been poorly attended but it has a good amount of acts that get bumped up to the main stages. R&L will always point to the likes of Stormzy that got bumped up, plus the likes of Jack Harlow, Headie One, D-Block Europe, Tion Wayne, AJ Tracey, even Lizzo since 2018

26 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

1Xtra has been poorly attended but it has a good amount of acts that get bumped up to the main stages. R&L will always point to the likes of Stormzy that got bumped up, plus the likes of Jack Harlow, Headie One, D-Block Europe, Tion Wayne, AJ Tracey, even Lizzo since 2018

Yup, them now being on the main stage is why its importance is less. It's initial mission, when debuted in 2013, was to ensure there was a path for those acts to make it. 10 years on, it's completed its mission and is probably now a victim of its own success in that poor attendance is due to larger acts now attracting its audience to the main stages.

The modern equivalent of smaller, newer, nicher acts in it's genre could still very much feature, just amongst other fayre that would further increase the festivals diversity in 2024, as the 1Xtra did 2013-2019

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, foolee said:

Both massive artists and always a shock/unpredictable headliner. Maneskin are touring and headlining all over Europe so wouldn’t accept less. Can’t think of others who will do it. Think maybe Kings of Leon again but I’d be shocked if they’re there again and obviously they’d be MSE. MSW I can only really think of Kasabian/Courteeners who don’t look to be touring or releasing anything currently.

I've been hearing this rhetoric for years now, that they throw in 'out there' headliners. It's always used as a reason 

Doja Cat is not MSE. She is what they thought they were getting when they booked Megan Stallion in 2022. 

Maneskin are a gimmick band only known in this country for their one meh cover.

All the headliners they book are genuine, bona-fide, large names in this countries music scene. Or legacy acknowledged perma-headliners.

Edited by Chad888

6 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I've been hearing this rhetoric for years now, that they throw in 'out there' headliners. It's always used as a reason 

Doja Cat is not MSE. She is what they thought they were getting when they booked Megan Stallion in 2022. 

Maneskin are a gimmick band only known in this country for their one meh cover.

All the headliners they book are genuine, bona-fide, large names in this countries music scene. Or legacy acknowledged perma-headliners.

Manneskin aren't headlining Reading Festival

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

It’s unpredictable the 1xtra, seems to be the busiest tent for a few acts over the weekend, but the average attendance over all 3 days was probably the lowest of the 5 in 2023 … would often walk past to under 300 people inside, even at 4pm

Wish there was stats to back up/ disprove such anecdotal evidence though. 

1 minute ago, gblock said:

It’s unpredictable the 1xtra, seems to be the busiest tent for a few acts over the weekend, but the average attendance over all 3 days was probably the lowest of the 5 in 2023 … would often walk past to under 300 people inside, even at 4pm

Wish there was stats to back up/ disprove such anecdotal evidence though. 

That was very much my experience in 22. At one point there was literally an MC playing to 10-15 people. 

I never saw it “busy” as I did a couple times in 21. 

Again it could be a complete coincidence but the radio station listenership has declined a lot post pandemic / TikTok boom

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

MSE: Doja Cat
MSW: Maneskin

MSE: Fred Again..
MSW: J Hus

MSE: The 1975
MSW: Avril Lavigne

I think that would be the weakest set of headliners ever. Only really 1975 and maybe Doja deserving to headline there. And 1975 have been there the last 2 years so it’d be a travesty for them to be there