2024 Headliners

8 hours ago, Neil said:

BST would prefer to announce first, cos otherwise anyone with a glasto ticket isn't a BST ticket buyer.

It's funny that we don't really bat an eyelid to this system when it's clearly (at least) two corporations working together to rip off the consumer of 100's of pounds.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2024 at 5:26 PM, charlierc said:

I guess the arenas run is their choice to stretch it out. Though given several dates still look a fair way from selling out (likely because more expensive than the ITM stadium run), maybe oversaturation has been reached by default.

I know The Killers did Wembley in 2013 and sold it out, but their 2018 touring choices in the UK were a bit more sporadic and peculiar. Certainly it's done some good work for their reputation if they're selling out a whole raft of stadia.

Imagine they'll sell 'em out, come the time - they'll just drop ticket prices close to the date, I guess. (Believe it's mostly platinum left for Manchester, bar a few extras.)

I'm gonna be honest I'm well aware that everyone stamps this talk out.

But as time goes by I'm starting to think KOL are the Saturday night headliner. 

Debate all you want if their still big enough.  But for me I now think Dua is Friday and KOL instead of Coldplay or Stevie

Feel free to challenge me on this (I know you will) 

And for the record I probably would not watch either...  so it's not that the act I'd rather see wishful thinking thing. 

Edited by Ben7amin_

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

they are posting an awful lot of glasto clips

if it stops after BST sells then perhaps not much to it bar ticket sales

Trying to work out if there's any logic in the Glastonbury clips being an easy mix of high-quality/free-to-use and that's why they've been sharing so many. But surely other festivals/their own gigs generate just as much usable footage.

Just now, mouserat said:

Trying to work out if there's any logic in the Glastonbury clips being an easy mix of high-quality/free-to-use and that's why they've been sharing so many. But surely other festivals/their own gigs generate just as much usable footage.

Yeah they surely have videos from Reading and Leeds?

Just now, gfa said:

Yeah they surely have videos from Reading and Leeds?

Surely. Although when I saw them at Reading they weirdly turned on the crowd halfway through and it all went super weird so maybe they don't have fond memories of it?

2 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I'm gonna be honest I'm well aware that everyone stamps this talk out.

But as time goes by I'm starting to think KOL are the Saturday night headliner. 

Debate all you want if their still big enough.  But for me I now think Dua is Friday and KOL instead of Coldplay or Stevie

Feel free to challenge me on this (I know you will) 

And for the record I probably would not watch either...  so it's not that the act I'd rather see wishful thinking thing. 

Always questioned the Stevie logic myself, its the one piece that didn't sit right for me. So I could see Dua, KOL, and Coldplay 

1 minute ago, BeddyDriver said:

Always questioned the Stevie logic myself, its the one piece that didn't sit right for me. So I could see Dua, KOL, and Coldplay 

I think people have got so settled on those three that they are overlooking the act that for me now is providing the most evidence. 

12 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Surely. Although when I saw them at Reading they weirdly turned on the crowd halfway through and it all went super weird so maybe they don't have fond memories of it?

I remember this - while a decent number knew their back catalogue (Because of the Times is one of my favourite albums), it was clear the masses were there to hear Sex on Fire and Use Somebody. When they started playing Sex on Fire, crowd went nuts and Caleb was just shaking his head at the rest of the band, presumably because they thought no one cared about the rest of their set.

Was gutted as they ended with Black Thumbnail and played it super slow, super low energy to bring everyone down, guitarist smashed his guitar and swore at everyone as they left the stage.

So I imagine that's why R&L footage is less forthcoming...

8 minutes ago, mnightjamalan said:

I remember this - while a decent number knew their back catalogue (Because of the Times is one of my favourite albums), it was clear the masses were there to hear Sex on Fire and Use Somebody. When they started playing Sex on Fire, crowd went nuts and Caleb was just shaking his head at the rest of the band, presumably because they thought no one cared about the rest of their set.

Was gutted as they ended with Black Thumbnail and played it super slow, super low energy to bring everyone down, guitarist smashed his guitar and swore at everyone as they left the stage.

So I imagine that's why R&L footage is less forthcoming...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/reading-leeds-2018-lineup-kings-of-leon-2009-headliners-a8208296.html

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

An act with broad mainstream appeal and several big hits?

Probably be pretty good tbf

Was just looking at the BPI cetification list. They've got sixteen - sixteen - certified hit singles. Not sure many other rock bands this century have that. (I think The Killers have a dozen, for comparison.)

Multi-Platinum: Sex On Fire, Use Somebody
Gold: Closer, Revelry, Waste a Moment
Silver: Fans, Find Me, Manhattan, Molly’s Chambers, On Call, Pyro, Radioactive, Supersoaker, The Bucket, Wait for Me, Walls

That's about seventy-five minutes of material that your casual music fan is likely to have a passing knowledge of, I'd say, which is... pretty remarkable.

27 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think people have got so settled on those three that they are overlooking the act that for me now is providing the most evidence. 

Posting Glastonbury clips is not 'evidence' of them being a headliner.  It's just a hint that they may be there in some shape or form.

There's about 4 or 5 different sources now for the top 3 being a lock.

56 minutes ago, mouserat said:

This was my thought exactly, its HQ audio, multi cam footage.