2024 Headliners

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Nicks officially announced for BST.

It's all coming together.

How much gap has there been between BST announcements so far (i.e. how many days until Stevie Wonder is hopefully announced and then we can finally get a Glasto poster)?

1 minute ago, mouserat said:

How much gap has there been between BST announcements so far (i.e. how many days until Stevie Wonder is hopefully announced and then we can finally get a Glasto poster)?

There is no pattern.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Stevie Nicks may well play, but she ain't a headliner.

This is the thing with Glasto, someone can play a 60,000 capacity show in London and we're all like, nope, not big enough to headline. 🤣

If she announces the rest of her tour and it's Stevie Sings Fleetwood Mac, rather than the usual mix, that'd absolutely be enough for 90 mins on the pointy one on a Sunday night. The day crowd would eat that up. 

Edited by Dark Star

12 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Not forgetting. I dont think there is any issue with playing Austria on the 27th & Glastonbury on the 29th 

Yeah, if I can go into work on the Tuesday after Glastonbury, there should be no problem flying from Austria on a private jet, having a day's break and playing again.  Otherwise they're wimps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Was just looking at the BPI certification list. They've got sixteen - sixteen - certified hit singles. Not sure many other rock bands this century have that. (I think The Killers have a dozen, for comparison.)

Multi-Platinum: Sex On Fire, Use Somebody
Gold: Closer, Revelry, Waste a Moment
Silver: Fans, Find Me, Manhattan, Molly’s Chambers, On Call, Pyro, Radioactive, Supersoaker, The Bucket, Wait for Me, Walls

That's about seventy-five minutes of material that your casual music fan is likely to have a passing knowledge of, I'd say, which is... pretty remarkable.

I don't think anyone is denying that they're a massive act and have some huge tunes, just that they are 15 years past their "artistic" peak and tend to phone it in live.

Last time I saw them was late 2008, just about the time they got huge with SOF/Use Somebody.  That was a pretty decent setlist and performance, but every vid I've seen of them on stage recently, they could be statues.

Closer is a top drawer opening track for a gig though TBF.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I don't think anyone is denying that they're a massive act and have some huge tunes, just that they are 15 years past their "artistic" peak and tend to phone it in live.

Last time I saw them was late 2008, just about the time they got huge with SOF/Use Somebody.  That was a pretty decent setlist and performance, but every vid I've seen of them on stage recently, they could be statues.

Closer is a top drawer opening track for a gig though TBF.

Who is/was closer to their artistic peak: Guns N Roses when they headlined last year or Kings of Leon if they headlined this year?

Don't think they'll be headlining at all but the argument that they're past it doesn't really work for me.

Guns n Roses have sold over a hundred million albums, they're in no way comparable to Kings of Leon - who mightve sold at a guess about a tenth of that. I know its a slightly outmoded comparison these days (but i hate going by streams too 😄 i'm very old) but they're not in same ballpark, they aren't even the same sport.

Unless that sport is hairy blokes who seriously lost their mojo after a decent run, and subsequently became dreadful. 

seen them live twice they were bang average both times. thats being kind, thats my main issue with them. i think their songs are decent-ish but they are not at the peak of their powers which was around 2005... 

Edited by TiZuff

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Guns n Roses have sold over a hundred million albums, they're in no way comparable to Kings of Leon - who mightve sold at a guess about a tenth of that. I know its a slightly outmoded comparison these days (but i hate going by streams too 😄 i'm very old) but they're not in same ballpark, they aren't even the same sport.

Unless that sport is hairy blokes who seriously lost their mojo after a decent run, and subsequently became dreadful. 

🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Franco Baresi said:

With all their big gigs in England about to go on sale, perhaps they are just posting up their Glastonbury headline slot as a way of saying "Remember what a big deal we are lads, get and buy our tour tickets".

Thats what I’m taking it as. 

I’ve just had a Quick Look on YouTube though, and they’ve several full festival sets (e.g. Rock in Rio, Lollapalooza Chicago) on there and a pro shot gig from London on their last tour available. So it does seem a bit odd to keep choosing Glastonbury clips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I'm gonna be honest I'm well aware that everyone stamps this talk out.

But as time goes by I'm starting to think KOL are the Saturday night headliner. 

Debate all you want if their still big enough.  But for me I now think Dua is Friday and KOL instead of Coldplay or Stevie

Feel free to challenge me on this (I know you will) 

And for the record I probably would not watch either...  so it's not that the act I'd rather see wishful thinking thing. 

Are Kings of Leon pyramid headliner material? I feel like at most Other or some sort of sub 

57 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Not forgetting. I dont think there is any issue with playing Austria on the 27th & Glastonbury on the 29th 

Thereby risking their big money gig at BST the next day? 

Seems unlikely. 

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

Are Kings of Leon pyramid headliner material? I feel like at most Other or some sort of sub 

I mean yeah I kind of also feel that way based on history.

But I'm not in that Bubble where I think it's impossible for Glastonbury to have to lower its standards slightly to pick one of the headliners.  

It's already been implied that a delay in announcements could be due to difficulties in headliner selection why that thought can be had but a line is drawn there and we can not consider that those difficulties might include a slight lowering of the headliner bar is beyond me.

I'm not saying it's what they ideally want to do sure the team want to pick the biggest acts in the world to headline. 

Just might not always be possible. 

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Thereby risking their big money gig at BST the next day? 

Seems unlikely. 

I mean the constant tweeting of Glastonbury content over the last few weeks has got people talking and in some places assuming  so if that's a risk it's already an accepted risk