2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Benjsh said:

When the new acts start writing songs as good as Elton has or as good as November Rain, Paradise City and Sweet Child O Mine etc then we might see a huge swing. 

There's a heap load of young acts with songs just as good as anything EJ or GnR have written.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's a heap load of young acts with songs just as good as anything EJ or GnR have written.

That's a bold statement if there ever was one. 

Some of the most famous songs of the last 50/60 years you're including there. 

Who are these acts you are referring to exactly?

Edited by Benjsh

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is true, but the songs haven't yet had the years / decades to seep into the consciousness of the nation to become standards.

Not sure Dua Lipa, Harry Styles or Taylor Swift will ever write a song as good as Elton's biggest hits if they live to being 100. That is an incredibly high bar he has set with his back Catalogue.

Not sure they will even write a better song than Sweet Child O Mine either though. 

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

if nothing by Taylor, Miley or Lorde has become as overplayed as Sweet Child O’ Mine in 40 years time, it’ll be a blessing

They won't be being played in 40 years time anyway most likely. They will be largely forgotten about. 

Don't think we will see the current artists become the legends that the ones in the 60's and 70's have. Certainly not in the same numbers anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

Not sure Dua Lipa, Harry Styles or Taylor Swift will ever write a song as good as Elton's biggest hits if they live to being 100. That is an incredibly high bar he has set with his back Catalogue.

Not sure they will even write a better song than Sweet Child O Mine either though. 

It's totally a matter of taste.

There's this weird thing, a sort of "confirmation bias" that if a singer has been around for decades then their songs must be the best. It's as if people don't listen to new artists (which of course they do). It seems that after decades of innovation and experimentation mainstream still wins for most.

Almost like punk never happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No reason at all why tracks like As It Was, Green Light or Flowers won't become future standards.

That's a scary world I want no part of then. Hahaha.

I will still listen to Elton, the Stones, The Who and the Beatles etc well into my late years anyway. Great music will never die.

Just now, Skip997 said:

It's totally a matter of taste.

There's this weird thing, a sort of "confirmation bias" that if a singer has been around for decades then their songs must be the best. It's as if people don't listen to new artists (which of course they do). It seems that after decades of innovation and experimentation mainstream still wins for most.

Almost like punk never happened.

There's lots of bands who have been around for decades I don't like. That's not what I'm saying at all. 

Likewise there are newer acts I admire too. The Lathums for example are brilliant. Been listening to them for a few years now. 

The diversity of access to music is the barrier that will prevent standards seeping into public consciousness. 
Limited national radio and almost singular to music programmes meant everyone knew stuff. That’s just not the case anymore. 

Edited by ClementsMike

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

okay if you say so. Won’t hold it against you when I see you at the 1989 50th Anniversary tour in 2064 bestie ❤️

I hope for your sake you get to see it. I truly mean it. 

I will be dead or in my 80's so won't care. Hahaha

2 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

The diversity of access to music is the barrier that will prevent standards seeping into public consciousness. 
Limited national radio and almost singular to music programmes meant everyone knew stuff. That’s just not the case anymore. 

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pyramid crowd seemed delighted when Rick Astley covered As It Was.

Might be a bit rarer but it can and does still happen - it just happens on places like TikTok that I assume most people on here don't really frequent.

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Next year marks 10 years since the last properly, undeniably pants headliner so I guess it’s as good a time as any for that golden run to come to an end 

I thought 2014's was a great trio of headliners.

Arcade Fire who were one of the biggest bands in the world at the time, Metallica who are all time musical legends and have been one of the biggest bands in the world for 30+ years but also a bit of a left turn for a Glastonbury headliner choice, and Kasabian who were long established festival favourites and long overdue a Glasto headline slot.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Agreed. Sculptures is epic, especially in the dark.

I got caught up in the whole first album thing after seeing them do ACR in Sheffield, I actually think on reflection Sculptures was a very good choice to open with; it's a very good song

It was a great start all round. That’s a superb opener and they played the next couple of songs at the proper pace. It just drifted after that.

It wasn’t even the new stuff though ditching one of the newer tracks and the cover for something better known would have made sense at a festival. It was playing the older stuff too slowly and singing behind the beat that was the killer.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Last Sunday night’s headliners on the main stages apart from Elton looked like a medium-strength Reading and Leeds line up circa 2013 so that’s no obstacle 

With QOTSA, Foos, Royal Blood, Arctics, GNR and the Manics, this year's line-up looked more like R&L than this year's R&L line-up does!