2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, VCK said:

With QOTSA, Foos, Royal Blood, Arctics, GNR and the Manics, this year's line-up looked more like R&L than this year's R&L line-up does!

R&L doesn't know what it is anymore. That's partly why. 

Interesting that V festival no longer exists. They decided to drop guitar bands in their latter years and fully embrace Pop and now they are no more.

Glasto tried to cater for all and usually does a good job of it tbf.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rwoo said:

As much as I love Olivia Rodrigo. There’s no way she’s going to headline. 

Yet. But everyone now sees the precedent of Billie yet she was on course to do it anyway. Olivia has done one single tour, hasnt cut her teeth around the circuit and now everyone wants to elevate her.

6 hours ago, Drinky said:

I love Paramore, but I think that’s the kind of counter programming you need, give people a decision to make

Theyre not a R/L band like people think anymore.

This crowd sure seems small. Why is a sub getting 60,000 people if theyre not good?

IMG_6338.jpeg

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wolf Alice would be excluded on the fact they're still light years away from topping the bill.

Yeah it’s hard to see Wolf Alice getting much bigger than they are now. Last album was a critical smash, they did L@WF and still only came in fourth down.

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Do the Female Headliners referred to have to be solo artists? Does having a female lead qualify as a female headliner?

If so how about Wolf Alice or other female led bands?

I’d still like to see The XX do it but their time has probably now passed barring a miracle. Another victim of the timid reluctance to give new headliners the nod over the last decade. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Who in recent years should The XX have been given priority over?

Radiohead in the year they last played. Any of Muse, Coldplay, The Killers, The Cure or The Who in other years. Arguably Mumfords in 2013 too although that’s a matter of taste rather than one option being fresher than the other. 

Just now, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Radiohead in the year they last played. Any of Muse, Coldplay, The Killers, The Cure or The Who in other years. Arguably Mumfords in 2013 too although that’s a matter of taste rather than one option being fresher than the other. 

Mumfords, ironically, being a bump up option.

I guess I can see the argument against people who've had multiple bites of the cherry - just that the consequences could be a track record of having acts like The Fratellis, Alt-J, Biffy, etc headlining, which arguably damages the standing of the festival.

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Ironically Mumfords was one of the few examples in recent years of the festival taking a chance on an up and comer.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Ironically Mumfords was one of the few examples in recent years of the festival taking a chance on an up and comer.

Although, as hard as it might be to imagine now, they were f**king ginormous so was hardly a punt from the festival and just made total sense at the time. Remember there being a lot of denial at the time that they were gonna headline, with people thinking they were gonna sub the Stones and possibly be a back up option if the Stones didn’t work out, when in fact it couldn’t have been more obvious that they had the headliner gig locked in themselves. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mumfords, ironically, being a bump up option.

I guess I can see the argument against people who've had multiple bites of the cherry - just that the consequences could be a track record of having acts like The Fratellis, Alt-J, Biffy, etc headlining, which arguably damages the standing of the festival.

I mean yeah but on the other hand it’s now left them in a situation where the headliner pool has been bled so dry and  unreplenished that it’s become a realistic possibility the Foo Fighters could headline for the second time in five festivals. Stormzy and Mumfords are the only times they’ve taken a chance on a headliner in living memory - yes it’s unfortunate that both dropped off the face of the earth after that but I don’t think Emily would ever say they were wrong to be given the chance. Sometimes you just have to go for it. 

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dua Lipa is a lock for next year. Dave, Taylor and Sam Fender are hot on her heels.

It happens and will continue to happen.

Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift I can understand even if they are not my cup of tea. Both megastars. 

Dave isn't a Glasto headline act in a million years. Most people don't know any of his songs. The average person on the high street wouldn't even know who he was nevermind his songs. I only know the name of one because of the infamous Alex from the crowd does Dave performance. Without that I wouldn't have a clue who he was.

Stormzy just about got away with it but even that was a bit boring after about 35 mins or so. Headline acts need to have sing along moments for me. Dua Lipa and Taylor would deliver that....not sure Dave would. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dave is #1 at this very moment.

Didn't know. Don't know the song. Doesn't that say everything about how irrelevant the single charts have become though? 

That style of music does absolutely nothing for me though tbf.