2024 Headliners

Just now, JonSnow said:

Consider me on the list of people in their 30s who really like Dave and thinks he would absolutely smash a Pyramid headliner slot and would be chuffed if he was headlining next year.

Not that;

a) Any musician or act can't or shouldn't be enjoyed by anyone aged 1-100

b) Why any of that is even relevant for their Glastonbury headline credentials

It's not relevant, it's just straw clutching because a personal opinion doesn't tally with the facts.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Things feel nice and open at the moment - but all with exciting names. 

Would love for it to be one of these:

Prediction I’d put a bet on

Dua Lipa, AC/DC, Taylor Swift

Others

Olivia Rodrigo, AC/DC, Taylor Swift

And then some combination of Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo, Depeche Mode, AC/DC, Taylor Swift.

Will be interesting to see if any of them drop off the radar in the next few months.

Why on earth would you bet on Taylor.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Things feel nice and open at the moment - but all with exciting names. 

Would love for it to be one of these:

Prediction I’d put a bet on

Dua Lipa, AC/DC, Taylor Swift

Others

Olivia Rodrigo, AC/DC, Taylor Swift

And then some combination of Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo, Depeche Mode, AC/DC, Taylor Swift.

Will be interesting to see if any of them drop off the radar in the next few months.

Taylor Swift dropping off the radar

When was she......on....the radar?

Image result for ross from friends

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

It really reminded me of the headliners thread and properly made me laugh when my 19 year old turned round at the Other and said - 'why is there no Spanish speaking rap here, like Bad Bunny - I'd see that'. 

He was confused why I found it so funny.

Honestly I was thinking this year about the massive age divide in audiences for a few acts on the lineup. Like Lovejoy and Cavetown are hugely popular online and can sell out tours in medium sized venues really quickly. Then they're languishing in the BBC Introducing and Leftfield stages at Glastonbury. Would love to know what sort of crowds they got.

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

It really reminded me of the headliners thread and properly made me laugh when my 19 year old turned round at the Other and said - 'why is there no Spanish speaking rap here, like Bad Bunny - I'd see that'. 

He was confused why I found it so funny.

Saw some Spanish language rap on Saturday night in Glasto Latino after GnR.

It went ALL the way off!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JonSnow said:

Vampire like everything else she writes is about to go huge and in my view is yet another fantastic song.

Like I said yesterday I think Emily is going to be keeping a close eye on how this album does

Completely agree it’s going to get a lot of streams but that doesn’t mean she’s going to headline the pyramid stage in 2024 or 2025. Loads of artists have billions of streams but aren’t headline material…we will never see Tones and I topping the pyramid. 

If Lizzo can’t headline this year, Olivia Rodrigo won’t in the next couple of years. I’m not saying she never will, but over the next two years? No way. 

15 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

Completely agree it’s going to get a lot of streams but that doesn’t mean she’s going to headline the pyramid stage in 2024 or 2025. Loads of artists have billions of streams but aren’t headline material…we will never see Tones and I topping the pyramid. 

If Lizzo can’t headline this year, Olivia Rodrigo won’t in the next couple of years. I’m not saying she never will, but over the next two years? No way. 

Lizzo absolutely could’ve done so this argument doesn’t hold any water 

AFAIK Tones & I have never played the Other to a huge crowd and been received incredibly well but I might have missed it 

17 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Lizzo absolutely could’ve done so this argument doesn’t hold any water 

AFAIK Tones & I have never played the Other to a huge crowd and been received incredibly well but I might have missed it 

But lizzo wasn’t booked to headline? Arguably Lizzo is a much more suitable pyramid headliner than Olivia in terms mass appeal but my point being, if Lizzo isn’t booked to headline, why would Olivia come in above all the acts like Taylor, rhianna, dua, blur, Coldplay, the 1975, Madge, harry styles etc. 

if you’re going on about other stage crowds you could say that Fred again… should be topping the bill? Which I reckon, if Glasto ever want to have a dance act closing the pyramid, he’d be the first one in years to do it. But in the next two years, no chance. 

in 2019, Lewis Capaldi played to a massive other stage crowd but was booked 3rd down this year..by your logic, he should have headlined over GNR? In the UK, he is undoubtably bigger than Olivia Rodrigo as well. 

Just now, Monty Pythagoras said:

I think unless its repeated we have to forget about Emily's first timer comment.

Dave

Oliva Rodrigo

Dua

While it would be the happiest day of the Bump Up Brigade's lives, that feels a little too fresh.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having one more heritage act with more years on the scores heat 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

While it would be the happiest day of the Bump Up Brigade's lives, that feels a little too fresh.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having one more heritage act with more years on the scores heat 

I'm a heritage act enjoyer but for me they're all at headliner level or at least will be when they get to the 24 festival.

Only one I'm worried about is Olivia Rodrigo as is she really big enough yet. By the sounds of her new single she will be.

13 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

But lizzo wasn’t booked to headline?

But she could’ve been, and the fest has essentially admitted that she almost was and only subbed because one of the biggest acts all time was available to come on after her. Similarly, if they have Madonna, AC/DC and Rihanna all lined up to headline next year then Liv wouldn’t be prioritised over them either. But she’s clearly about to be in the ’could headline or could also be a strong sub for an all time legend who hasn’t headlined before’ tier of acts just down from that, alongside the likes of Dua and Lizzo

15 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

Taylor, blur, Coldplay, the 1975, harry styles

All of these are fairly unlikely to be available

20 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

if you’re going on about other stage crowds you could say that Fred again… should be topping the bill? Which I reckon, if Glasto ever want to have a dance act closing the pyramid, he’d be the first one in years to do it. But in the next two years, no chance. 

As you say, not the sort of act that tops the bill these days. If Glastonbury did book dance acts to headline then he’d be in line to get the call. O-Rod on the other hand is exactly the genre and breed of headliner the fest has been booking for the last decade so not sure what your point is here.

21 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

in 2019, Lewis Capaldi played to a massive other stage crowd but was booked 3rd down this year..by your logic, he should have headlined over GNR? In the UK, he is undoubtably bigger than Olivia Rodrigo as well. 

I agree he could’ve been booked to headline and it was a show of the fear’s continued strength that he wasn’t. Although he played to a headline-sized crowd anyway. Again, not sure what your point is here. Glastonbury books headline-sized acts in non headliner spots? Yes we know that. So what.

A lot of Rihanna talk, isn't she pregnant with her second child currently? I know by next fest she will be probably 6 - 9 months post-baby, but not sure if she's realistic given the lack of new music/live shows/children as it is. I think Dua Lipa is nailed on, but the other two slots I'm unsure on. The talk of there being 2 female headliners made sense if Taylor looked a cert, but I'm on the side of her tour dates being solely focussed on her current show rather than a festival appearance. I think time will tell, if the likes of Mad Cool/Primavera/Sziget etc. come out later this year for their 24 fests and Taylor is on a few, then I think she has a set festival show which she will do across the summer, but if no sign of her around European fests then it seems as though she's touring her current show next summer and not touching festivals. I'd be surprised if she does Glastonbury as a one off. This begs the question of which other female act could realistically headline. I know the 1975 are touring again later this year and into 2024, so there's a strong possibility they could headline, but just feels a bit stale off the back of an album which will be nearly 2 years old by G 2024, unless they drop something new beforehand. Dave also seems like one who could step into the frame, having not released anything since We're All Alone two years ago now, so it could be perfect timing for him to create buzz in 2023, and drop his third album in 2024 in advance of a headline slot at Glastonbury. 

A trio of Dave, 1975 and Dua Lipa just doesn't seem to read right though for Glastonbury, but I think there's a strong possibility two of those three take up the spots. If Rihanna was in the frame, then it balances out again, but not sold on her being active at the time. Could a Beyonce/Adele step back in for another crack at the whip? Or are we focussing too heavily on 2/3 being female acts. If she's well and healthy enough then I think if you add Madonna to any 2 of the above 3, then it reads like a Glastonbury trio. 

Dua Lipa

Madonna

14 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

But she could’ve been, and the fest has essentially admitted that she almost was and only subbed because one of the biggest acts all time was available to come on after her. Similarly, if they have Madonna, AC/DC and Rihanna all lined up to headline next year then Liv wouldn’t be prioritised over them either. But she’s clearly about to be in the ’could headline or could also be a strong sub for an all time legend who hasn’t headlined before’ tier of acts just down from that, alongside the likes of Dua and Lizzo

All of these are fairly unlikely to be available

As you say, not the sort of act that tops the bill these days. If Glastonbury did book dance acts to headline then he’d be in line to get the call. O-Rod on the other hand is exactly the genre and breed of headliner the fest has been booking for the last decade so not sure what your point is here.

I agree he could’ve been booked to headline and it was a show of the fear’s continued strength that he wasn’t. Although he played to a headline-sized crowd anyway. Again, not sure what your point is here. Glastonbury books headline-sized acts in non headliner spots? Yes we know that. So what.

My point is Olivia Rodrigo is not going to be booked to headline Glastonbury in the next two years because there are so many other better choices available. She also does not have the universal clout (at the moment) to be considered. 

if lizzo and Lewis Capaldi aren’t booked to headline (even you feel they should be) olivia Rodrigo won’t do it before them. 

If you’re moving the goalposts to now say she is a strong sub, 3rd down. Yea, potentially 

Edited by roughbloke

2 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

My point is Olivia Rodrigo is not going to be booked to headline Glastonbury in the next two years because there are so many other better choices available. She also does not have the universal clout (at the moment) to be considered. 

if lizzo and Lewis Capaldi aren’t booked to headline (even you feel they should be) olivia Rodrigo won’t do it before them. 

If you’re moving the goalposts to now say she is a strong sub, 3rd down. Yea, potentially 

But its literally just been stated that at least half of the, in your opinion, 'better choices' that you have listed are unlikely to be available in 2024