2024 Headliners

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There is a minuscule, 1% chance of it happening if she plays Coachella, which would also require a different set-up and actually pays enough for it to be worth the trouble. If she did that then it would be fairly straightforward to get that across the Atlantic for Glastonbury )and presumably a few other festivals too). But that still doesn’t solve the issue of the strong likelihood of her adding a Sunday night in Dublin. This entire conversation is utterly pointless. 

The argument about the how much glasto pays isn’t really relevant I don’t think. If Taylor plays, she’s gunna play because she wants to not because she’s getting x amount. Artists also get a cut from the BBC streaming fee the labels charge and obvs the additional album sales/streams. 

Cutting out some dancing/choreography on certain songs, and cutting some songs from the setlist altogether, is hardly "designing a brand new show" people, get a grip.

She's not going to play Glastonbury, but getting her enormous team of tour production managers, assistants and professional dancers to make some changes over the next 11 months isn't that difficult. She might even find time in the 4 days off a week for several months to actually rehearse it a few times, if she was arsed. Which she won't be, as she would have designed the tour to be properly free for Glastonbury if she was actually playing.

Edited by ghostdancer1

6 minutes ago, roughbloke said:

The argument about the how much glasto pays isn’t really relevant I don’t think. If Taylor plays, she’s gunna play because she wants to not because she’s getting x amount. Artists also get a cut from the BBC streaming fee the labels charge and obvs the additional album sales/streams. 

I get that but I’m on about her designing a show just for Glastonbury. If she was to need to design one for Coachella as well then it would make a lot more sense (but still not much). Unless the suggestion is that she just stands there with no dancers or staging for two hours which personally I’d be all for but I can’t see her agreeing to. 

2 hours ago, thewomble said:

Honestly was shocked by all the Dua Lipa suggestions but didn't realise just how many festivals she played pretty high up for last year. I've seen her a few times and enjoyed it - just still not sure I see her as a pyramid headliner! Don't ask me why!

On whether Dua Lipa is big enough to headline the Pyramid. 

There are about 400 songs that have a billion or more Spotify plays (essentially THE benchmark for a huge hit in the Spotify era).  Dua Lipa has 7 of these. 

She is a globally massive superstar, with 6-10 of the biggest songs of the last decade, has played Glastonbury before, and was booked to headline the Other Stage in 2020, before her last (incredibly successful) album.

Can we please put to bed any question of whether she is big enough or not.  She undoubtedly is, and it's only a question of her tour schedule aligning as to exactly when she'll get the gig.

35 minutes ago, goonerben said:

There are about 400 songs that have a billion or more Spotify plays (essentially THE benchmark for a huge hit in the Spotify era).  Dua Lipa has 7 of these. 

She is a globally massive superstar, with 6-10 of the biggest songs of the last decade, has played Glastonbury before, and was booked to headline the Other Stage in 2020, before her last (incredibly successful) album.

Can we please put to bed any question of whether she is big enough or not.  She undoubtedly is, and it's only a question of her tour schedule aligning as to exactly when she'll get the gig.

You give her previous album way more credit than you should be. It hit way less figures than her debut album over here, in America she is a different animal. Even the song that brought Dua Lipa out from fading away with Miley Cyrus didn't turn those UK figures around.

Arctic Monkeys when they hit the US big time just to give an idea, had 1600 UK sales and 1400 US sales. That's being globally massive.

I don't disagree she will headline though.

Edited by northernangel

42 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Imma bet she wants to do it so badly she'll arrange any tour she does specifically around her headline set.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Benefit of the doubt would suggest the former. Its not had very widespread or mainstream exposure has it?

feel like it was a big thing when it first broke but then no outlets could be arsed picking it up, and online Blur fans were rabid in telling anyone mentioning the allegations to shut up. Kinda feel like Blur's fanbase more resistant than most to face up to their faves being properly malignant.

46 minutes ago, Amy Lawn said:

Do ppl suggesting Blur not know about Coxon abusing female fans 30 years younger than him or just not care?

Honestly it's the holy trinity of evidence 

1) assuming Taylor Swift absolutely under no circumstances wouldcreate & rehearse different show 

2) 100% assuming that Taylor Swift will play another date In Ireland

3) shouting down anyone who dare question point 1 or 2

Honestly in 3 weeks time we will know if there is a 2nd dublin date and it could settle this one way or another.   

Until then point 1 evidence is not the blocker people are celebrating it to be, especially for some one as hardworking as Taylor who has a massive team around her. 

I'm not saying she is definitely headlining I'm saying its premature to rule her out. 

I'm sure people will come at me with more point 3.........  but you have made the point and it didn't convince me.

I’m still minded to think that until Taylor fills that Sunday night gap she’s in the frame.

Reasons:

1. Emily’s “we’ve got her next time she tours” comments. Given how careful she is with her comments to the media there’s no way she would say that unless there was a pretty clear agreement on both sides.

2. She has form for doing 3-4 nights on the spin on her current tour. Dublin to Glastonbury overnight is hardly crossing the Atlantic is it?

3. She’s agreed to do it before.

4. Cutting a three hour show down to a two hour show isn’t that big an ask really. Just involves playing fewer songs.

Could easily be that she doesn’t do it, she might go back on her agreement with Emily, she might add another Dublin night. But until she’s definitively ruled out there’s a chance IMO.

(if she is out then it needs to be made public before T-Day)

• Upvote 2