Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, sfroml said:

What's the situ with G'N'R rolling on stage an hour late as has been the case on previous occasions? I'm assuming (rightly/wrongly) that they'll have their set cut by an hour? Or, would Glastonbury schedule it to allow a time buffer to cater for the fact of potential time issues?

Word is they've been a lot better since reforming, you'd think the festival will warn Axl that any nonsense will not be tolerated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfroml said:

What's the situ with G'N'R rolling on stage an hour late as has been the case on previous occasions? I'm assuming (rightly/wrongly) that they'll have their set cut by an hour? Or, would Glastonbury schedule it to allow a time buffer to cater for the fact of potential time issues?

Heard they plan to have Peter Kay waiting backstage and if they're more than 15 minutes late he'll go on and headline instead.

Won't be quite as funny though.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Word is they've been a lot better since reforming, you'd think the festival will warn Axl that any nonsense will not be tolerated.

they'll probably tell axl that any licencing fine will be deducted from the band's fee.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Heard they plan to have Peter Kay waiting backstage and if they're more than 15 minutes late he'll go on and headline instead.

Won't be quite as funny though.

That punch line doesn't quite work using Peter Kay, I'm assuming that you're suggesting GNR will be at least some amount of funny?

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Spinning Appetite For Destruction for the first time in years right now.

I've never heard of The Spaghetti Incident?, so I'll start there.  Might be good reason for that not being on the tip of people's tongues...

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Appetite and Use Your Illusion are the only ones you need.

90% of the setlist will be from them.

Yeah - I'll be looking at setlists nearer the time - if you're not right then I'm not interested!

They really haven't done much beyond those two albums, have they

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Ah, right. Well, I won't be watching them (although one of my pals will probably want to take a peek so I might get dragged along for a bit). I'm sure that there will be something else spectacular going off around the site. They played Leeds Festival in 2002, I didn't bother watching them then either, not a fan......

12 minutes ago, p.pete said:

That punch line doesn't quite work using Peter Kay, I'm assuming that you're suggesting GNR will be at least some amount of funny?

"Guns and Roses, remember them, what was all that about? Why did we all like them? Guns AND roses? Together? Weren't the 90s weird"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfroml said:

Ah, right. Well, I won't be watching them (although one of my pals will probably want to take a peek so I might get dragged along for a bit). I'm sure that there will be something else spectacular going off around the site. They played Leeds Festival in 2002, I didn't bother watching them then either, not a fan......

I was at that Leeds.

Prodigy finished and me and my mates had little interest in seeing GnR so we went to watch The Streets in a tent. Came back out after they had finished and we could see GnR walking out onto the stage in the distance, we figured we'd go and check out what we assumed was their encore... turns out they were only just coming on!

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I take it you know it's a covers album?

Haha, was thinking it sounded familiar.  Not their version but that song's title.  Still, if they're going to do some covers in June then why not...

This seems to be one of their earliest albums - did they start as a pub covers band or something?

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Haha, was thinking it sounded familiar.  Not their version but that song's title.  Still, if they're going to do some covers in June then why not...

This seems to be one of their earliest albums - did they start as a pub covers band or something?

It's their last studio album before they split. They started doing original stuff plus a few covers thrown in. 

All this about GnR being late - I think that tends to be their own headline shows MORESO than fests. I've seen them at Download 2006 (10 mins early) and when I saw them in 2017 I think they were on time or possibly slightly early.

They tend to play 3 hours or thereabouts, but as people say they do a lot of guitar solos etc in between songs - I'd think they'll get 21:15/30-23:45 with a view to going 15 mins over. I think the license is stop by midnight if I'm not wrong hence the 15 min buffer. They can easily cut the set down by losing a solo in between songs or taking a longer song out of the setlist for 1 night. 

I for one can't wait to see them on the Pyramid, Slash is my favourite guitarist and I missed him STUPIDLY on Pyramid to go and watch the fucking football in 2010 so I'm after my redemption!

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Guns N’ Roses Concert Setlist at Eden Park, Auckland on December 10, 2022 | setlist.fm

In fairness, I'd be all over this.  Even the covers and doubtless 15 minute noodly solo.

Needs a bit of pruning, and I can’t imagine any way that them doing Wichita Lineman isn’t terrible, but that’s a tempting setlist.

1 minute ago, Sorcha17 said:

I actually really like the title track from Chinese Democracy.

Do they still play Slither?

Have been on the current tour.  And why not, probably the best thing Slash ever wrote.