Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

16 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

surely the fact Foos played TWO festivals ago is enough for anyone with half a brain cell to rule them out and naturally place the current TBCs ahead of them?

I don't think it is FF to be honest, but to put it another way it will be 6 years since they last played. Not that small of a gap when you think about it considering Coldplay did a 3 year headliner gap followed by a 6 year gap.

Edit; beaten to it by BenG92!

Edited by FrancisH

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Why didn’t they just rebook the 2019 headliners for 2022 then given it was a three year gap.

The lack of festivals between when they last headlined is more reason not to revisit an act sooner, as there is a backlog of acts who otherwise might have played.

Because 6 is - wait for it - twice as much as 3. Obviously the longer the gap the less obnoxious it is, I don't think 6 is that wild at all. Again I'll reference Download which regularly repeats headliners 3 years apart, and while it's not great on paper, Download's hardly been struggling. 

If the rumour was Radiohead I honestly don't think half as many people would have been phased by the idea

3 minutes ago, adcarr_ said:

This is my first year going to glasto so naturally my first year closely following this forum. Is it normally this chaotic? 🤣

Strap in and get used to it, there's a loooooooong way to go 😂

And don't forget to keep a close eye on the weather thread for maximum chaos!! 🥴

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The-Heartbreak-Kid said:

So you were told Jose Pose that FF will be at the festival but you are doubting that FF will actually be there Jose Pose? 

What you got against joey T? 

I’ve got nothing against Joey T, I’m just quoting him. Did you actually read what he literally just said a page back?

The one credible source for Foos headlining is saying it probably isn’t them, and it’s probably GnR, yet people are still thinking it might be.

Truly bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Because 6 is - wait for it - twice as much as 3. Obviously the longer the gap the less obnoxious it is, I don't think 6 is that wild at all. Again I'll reference Download which regularly repeats headliners 3 years apart, and while it's not great on paper, Download's hardly been struggling. 

If the rumour was Radiohead I honestly don't think half as many people would have been phased by the idea

You’re referencing a rock festival that has a very limited pool of headliners that needs to book big rock acts to sell tickets. You couldn’t pick a worse comparison if you tried. 

Glastonbury literally has the whole of music to pick from and sells out without announcing an act, and not only that has had three separate years since Foos headlined when they couldn’t book anyone at all.

The lack of festivals is all the more reason  not to go back to acts who have done it recently.

Edited by Jose Pose

10 minutes ago, adcarr_ said:

This is my first year going to glasto so naturally my first year closely following this forum. Is it normally this chaotic? 🤣

Oh mate you've seen nothing yet, just you wait until we have about a month to go and the weather model graphs start getting posted all day and meticulously analysed.

Just now, Jose Pose said:

You’re referencing a rock festival that has a very limited pool of headliner that needs to boom big rock acts to sell tickets. You couldn’t pick a worse comparison of you tried. 

Glastonbury literally has the whole of music to pick from, and not only that has three separate years since Foos headlined when they couldn’t book anyone.

Let's be real though, it's not "the whole of music" for the top of the pyramid is it? It's rock and pop and sometimes hip-hop. Pretty broad but it's not as broad as all of music. 

Not saying I think it's Foos, I don't. I just don't think the whole 2 festival gap argument holds up when it's been 6 years and Glasto clearly aren't shy about repeating headliners. Add to that the whole "return to music after Taylor Hawkins" thing and it's really not a crazy idea at all. Certainly no crazier than GNR when Foos are FAR more popular here. 

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Oh mate you've seen nothing yet, just you wait until we have about a month to go and the weather model graphs start getting posted all day and meticulously analysed.

Oh god 🤣my gf already thinks I’m mental for scrolling through this forum religiously every day. God knows what she’s gonna think of me when I’m pretending to be a met office employee for a month! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Glastonbury literally has the whole of music to pick from and sells out without announcing an act, and not only that has had three separate years since Foos headlined when they couldn’t book anyone at all.

That's a good argument as to why FF could easily be booked again, guaranteed a sell out regardless. 

13 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I think Radiohead would be equally slated.

If Foos headlined again it'd literally be the same set so what's the point. Even repeat bookings like Coldplay had massive albums that clearly added to their set, as shite as they are. Download clearly has a narrower list of potential acts, and is nervous on bumping up acts, hence the usual suspects popping up every year. 

4 minutes ago, The-Heartbreak-Kid said:

That's a good argument as to why FF could easily be booked again, guaranteed a sell out regardless. 

That is one bizarre take. Ever wondered why Glastonbury sells out without announcing an act?

Clue: Amongst other thing it’s probably because they don’t bring headliners back after two festivals.

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think Radiohead would be equally slated.

If Foos headlined again it'd literally be the same set so what's the point. Even repeat bookings like Coldplay had massive albums that clearly added to their set, as shite as they are. Download clearly has a narrower list of potential acts, and is nervous on bumping up acts, hence the usual suspects popping up every year. 

I think the point is, it's Glastonbury, and tickets are rare as rocking horse shit. It matters much less than other festivals if they have someone who was on 6 years ago when someone who's been for the last 10 years could suddenly find themselves without a ticket this time. Download on the other hand almost never sells out at all and repeats those bookings even though there's a TON of other bands that could have played those slots by now, but as you say, it's the fearful/usual suspects scenario. 

Anyway, I don't think it's Foos. I'll sit quietly in my corner and hope for the extreme outside shot of Radiohead playing nothing new as they're the last on my bucket list. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I think the point is, it's Glastonbury, and tickets are rare as rocking horse shit. It matters much less than other festivals if they have someone who was on 6 years ago when someone who's been for the last 10 years could suddenly find themselves without a ticket this time. Download on the other hand almost never sells out at all and repeats those bookings even though there's a TON of other bands that could have played those slots by now, but as you say, it's the fearful/usual suspects scenario. 

Anyway, I don't think it's Foos. I'll sit quietly in my corner and hope for the extreme outside shot of Radiohead playing nothing new as they're the last on my bucket list. 

No, it’s precisely why it matters much more.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Out of curiosity more than anything but what are the terms that are most palatable for an artist to return to headline again?

Are years enough?

Does there have to be a chart topping album?

You get my drift.

Don't think those matter, just a desire of attendees to see them. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Out of curiosity more than anything but what are the terms that are most palatable for an artist to return to headline again?

Are years enough?

You get my drift.

I've always believed there should be three albums between sets. Minimum

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Are years enough?

You get my drift.

I’d say broadly speaking for Glastonbury there isn’t much excuse for getting an act back within 10 years.