Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Frank’s a huge deal and whenever he releases his new album he’ll be inescapable for anybody mildly interested in music, but the fact that he releases albums and then dips off the scene for five or so years gives him far more of an elusive feel than a lot of other artists of his size. But he is headlining Coachella after years of inactivity and would presumably headline any festival he plays here/the rest of the world, and certainly hasn’t fallen off the radar to the point that people have forgotten who he is.

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yes, that was the time you missed out the other bit "but the aim is that you're conscious of that when you're booking" 

Emily speaks on the subject for just over a minute. Unless you want to transcribe the full thing you’re always going to be missing a bit.

My point is simply that those saying it won’t be AM/GNR/EJ because there’s no Female headliner are wrong. Emily herself says it’s possible that some years they will have all-male headliners. She has been very consistent in saying the target is 50/50 on the bill. She’s said it repeatedly and reiterates it in this interview. But there are no promises about a split among Headliners, which is what I was specifically referring to. It was discussed a few (probably a lot of, by now) pages back but not everybody had heard that quote I referenced. 

Edited by MEGABOWL

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Frank’s a huge deal and whenever he releases his new album he’ll be inescapable for anybody mildly interested in music, but the fact that he releases albums and then dips off the scene for five or so years gives him far more of an elusive feel than a lot of other artists of his size. But he is headlining Coachella after years of inactivity and would presumably headline any festival he plays here/the rest of the world, and certainly hasn’t fallen off the radar to the point that people have forgotten who he is.

I think theres different ways of looking at it - he is an act thats elusive and that definitely has pushed him up lineups. When he was last about he didn't do any headline slots nearly the size of coachella if i'm correct.

Quick look and he did Parklife that was smaller at the time and their main stage isn't that big anyway, Lovebox etc. Headlined way out west (20k) as well and flow festival (not sure on capacity, around 30k i think maybe)

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I don’t think your average UK punter will have heard of Frank Ocean. He’s genuinely not a big name here.

I’d say amongst my age group he’s incredibly well respected and well liked. Absolutely everyone loves him and thinks he’s a god.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think theres different ways of looking at it - he is an act thats elusive and that definitely has pushed him up lineups. When he was last about he didn't do any headline slots nearly the size of coachella if i'm correct.

Quick look and he did Parklife that was smaller at the time and their main stage isn't that big anyway, Lovebox etc. Headlined way out west (20k) as well and flow festival (not sure on capacity, around 30k i think maybe)

I can bet you money he would have headlined R&L/Wireless by now if he was not so difficult to book and such a massive flake.

As @FloorFiller said it’s his career activity which makes him a hard one to place. He keeps a low profile so much you question whether he’s even still alive.

23 minutes ago, gfa said:

Yeah his elusiveness has helped, but also the fact that the reception to Blonde has only gotten better since it’s release to the point that it was ranked incredibly highly on almost every decades end list, often right at the top. His next move is massively anticipated and will almost certainly hit #1 all over (and hopefully it’ll actually be good, too). If he’s not a guaranteed headliner right now, he will be after it’s release. Just hope he’s got his live act together so this Coachella set is worth the wait as I’ve got a awful feeling it’s gonna be a bit of a dull thud like his last tour seemingly was. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not got a great rep as a live perrormer though. Coupled with the slow and intimate vibe of his material its not a guaranteed slamdunk.

Yeah this is the problem. Who knows what direction the new material will take as he might well go back to the more tuneful sound from Channel Orange or something similarly upbeat, but if it’s another slow burner like Blonde then he’s gonna struggle to set things alight and I do think it’s gonna be a bit of a weird one. 

As a caveat, I don’t think he’s ever gonna headline Glastonbury, but maybe I’ll 180 on that come new album time.

4 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I don’t think your average UK punter will have heard of Frank Ocean. He’s genuinely not a big name here.

Quick straw poll says agree. (We're having a few friends around and most are under 30).

A point to add to the AM setlist discourse is they’ve been heard soundchecking old songs recently while touring.

So far, they’ve seemingly soundchecked A Certain Romance, Old Yellow Bricks, If You Were There Beware, and most recently (in Sydney yesterday), Mardy Bum. Fans have shared videos of this, for example:

It might not lead to anything but this gives me a bit of hope they’re going to be bringing back some classics for their UK tour and Glastonbury.
Edited by Punisher

I'm almost 100% convinced that we will see another Who appearance - 2007, 2015 .... 2023 8 years between the previous ones and they have just added European dates to their tour, last one 23/6 as it stands.

I think its pretty nailed on!

However, have to say, I'm a massive fan, but I hope they don't play again as a head line act, personally I think they are past it, the reviews of recent gigs have been great, but I always think these a biased. 

I would love to see them again there, but on a smaller stage / venue and leave the pyramid to others.

4 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I'm almost 100% convinced that we will see another Who appearance - 2007, 2015 .... 2023 8 years between the previous ones and they have just added European dates to their tour, last one 23/6 as it stands.

I think its pretty nailed on!

However, have to say, I'm a massive fan, but I hope they don't play again as a head line act, personally I think they are past it, the reviews of recent gigs have been great, but I always think these a biased. 

I would love to see them again there, but on a smaller stage / venue and leave the pyramid to others.

Definitely not headlining ever again imo

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For all its faults, The Who brought the bangers. Check the setlist. I walked away pretty happy.

I remember them opening strongly then the set dropping off a cliff aftee half an hour or so.

Remember the band distancing themselves from the performance afterwards too.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I remember them opening strongly then the set dropping off a cliff aftee half an hour or so.

Remember the band distancing themselves from the performance afterwards too.

A little more than distancing… they out and out claimed someone sabotaged their set up, and moaned a lot about the sound. 

https://www.thewho.com/backstage-blog/28-june-2015-glastonbury-festival-worthy-farm-somerset/