Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can we not?

Aren't Missy's live shows notoriously patchy?  Sure I read a review of one that featured more dance interludes and raffles for trainers than actual content (maybe due to the Graves disease I guess)

Apologies for the thoughtless use of a derogatory term.

10 hours ago, jannybruck said:

And yet a legendary popstar that's helmed more iconic pop culture moments than most past or potential Glastonbury headliners could ever dream of, even Missy (and they're both very vocal fans of each other's work, by the way).

By her own admission she's never been the best singer or dancer but that hasn't ever been a job requirement for being a popstar, let alone an artist who's pretty much always done what the fuck she wants in the face of ridicule and criticism.

Madonna is literally the biggest selling female artist of all time. You don't get that by not working hard for four decades, even if it might not be in a way that you approve of.

Never claimed she didn't have a work ethic or that she wasn't a huge celebrity.  It's just that people who have limited artistic integrity rarely appeal to me. 

"helmed more iconic pop culture moments than most" Much of her fame/infamy is carefully constructed and as her star occasionally wanes, she and her management team do something shocking to attract public attention again (Sex book, Hung Up video etc.)  She's never been at the vanguard of anything, just changes style, direction and song writing team to try and keep up with whatever is selling.  Even the success of her debut was largely on the coat tails of Nile Rogers who at the time was the industry's biggest hitmaking producer.

She has managed her celebrity and image brilliantly.  But the music is largely average, especially early 90's onwards, her voice/range poor and the live shows terrible.

Not for me I'm afraid.

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely. 

Feels like we're running out of dead cert all-timers though. Out of who's currently active, who would be a sure fire success in the headline slot?

Elton? Yep. Taylor? Absolutely. Who else?

Depending on the criteria for 'currently active', now that theyve bagged Elton it's basically just Fleetwood Mac and AC/DC left. Maybe Queen and Adam Lambert.

Although in the case of the latter I dunno if I could cope with 6 months of the inevitable discourse.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Depending on the criteria for 'currently active', now that theyve bagged Elton it's basically just Fleetwood Mac and AC/DC left. Maybe Queen and Adam Lambert.

Although in the case of the latter I dunno if I could cope with 6 months of the inevitable discourse.

Anyone who has seen Queen & AL knows they would absolutely slay it.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is it just me or are Queen & Adam Lambert not technically Queen any more.

Freddie Mercury was Queen and without him they're just cashing in....????!!!

Totally agree on this.

I am fortunate to have seen the real Queen in 1982.

Anyway it won't happen unless ME stops his support for badger culling.

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely. 

Feels like we're running out of dead cert all-timers though. Out of who's currently active, who would be a sure fire success in the headline slot?

Elton? Yep. Taylor? Absolutely. Who else?

The 1975

44 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

"helmed more iconic pop culture moments than most" Much of her fame/infamy is carefully constructed and as her star occasionally wanes, she and her management team do something shocking to attract public attention again (Sex book, Hung Up video etc.)  She's never been at the vanguard of anything, just changes style, direction and song writing team to try and keep up with whatever is selling.  Even the success of her debut was largely on the coat tails of Nile Rogers who at the time was the industry's biggest hitmaking producer.

Is this not.. exactly what plenty of great popstars and artists do, though? Even someone non-musical Andy Warhol had an entire team of people to create his work, repurposed other things that existed, played the media at its own game with stunts and understood where and how to position himself within pop culture – and yet is still respected as one of the greatest who ever lived.

If you don't like any of her tunes that's perfectly valid, but there's still a level of artistry and smart understanding of media and culture to her work that shouldn't be dismissed regardless of if she wrote every single line in her songs. Simply the curation process of turning yourself from nothing, with no industry connections, into the biggest selling female popstar who ever lived is worth respect and most of the pop girls the board loses its shit over playing Glasto like Dua, Doja, Lana, Lizzo, Miley or whoever are all indebted to the foundations she laid and use exactly the same techniques she does: working with producers and writers who've had existing hits, or designers that have certain looks, or directors who've created iconic images.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Better start a thread now just in case.

12 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Is this not.. exactly what plenty of great popstars and artists do, though? Even someone non-musical Andy Warhol had an entire team of people to create his work, repurposed other things that existed, played the media at its own game with stunts and understood where and how to position himself within pop culture – and yet is still respected as one of the greatest who ever lived.

If you don't like any of her tunes that's perfectly valid, but there's still a level of artistry and smart understanding of media and culture to her work that shouldn't be dismissed regardless of if she wrote every single line in her songs. Simply the curation process of turning yourself from nothing, with no industry connections, into the biggest selling female popstar who ever lived is worth respect and most of the pop girls the board loses its shit over playing Glasto like Dua, Doja, Lana, Lizzo, Miley or whoever are all indebted to the foundations she laid and use exactly the same techniques she does: working with producers and writers who've had existing hits, or designers that have certain looks, or directors who've created iconic images.

Never said that she was the only one and agree she's a deft exponent of what she does.  Also realise I'm in a huge minority here.  It's just for me, I'd rather listen to/watch someone who has a degree of musical talent than someone who only has a lot of self-promotional talent.  I get that the names you quote above - and many, many more besides - play the fame game also, but at least they can actually sing/write music or lyrics/play instruments etc. in some way shape or form and aren't just hiding behind a huge showy production and a massive backing band or backing track.

Like I said, realise I'm in a minority but it has no appeal for me.