Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

12 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Surprising post from somebody who rails against words being put in his mouth. I literally said "I concede it looks likely". Are you disagreeing with me that it's not official until the festival announce it?

Not really sure it’s official even if the festival announce it. Axl might just not turn up or get lost on the way there.

10 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Genuine question - Metallica were going to play other stage before they were bumped up and I’d argue they’re much bigger than guns and roses. Could gnr be on other stage? 

Id guess at fairly similar record sales, and each band has one absolute out and out stone cold classic banger of an album (appetite and MoP, just for clarity!) but Metallica came from and helped create thrash, which is a much smaller genre than guns n roses coming out of hair metal - much more radio play, sales, fuss and nonsense about the latter (sadly). 

its a great question though, and definitely worth some debate. I think guns n roses have an extra live cachet in that they didnt properly exist for the last twenty years, whereas metallica have carried on, and have an excellent live reputation even through dwindling album returns.  I've seen metallica a couple of times, never seen Guns. 

Edit: Metallica want to play arenas these days, more so than stadiums. But they're headlined basically everywhere, played everywhere all over the world, and are in a position where they can pretty much do whatever they fancy, so if its nice dark indoor arenas as opposed to drafty shitty sound at big outdoor places, then good on em - its a much more enjoyable thing as a punter, i'm sure it is as a band as well.  

Edited by balti-pie

Just now, BenG92 said:

Were they bumped up because they were too big for Other? 

The other question to ask is - were Metallica only ever on the Other Stage in the first place, despite it being a fair bit beneath them, because Lars was willing to fall on his sword a little as playing it was on his bucket list?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

The other question to ask is - were Metallica only ever on the Other Stage in the first place, despite it being a fair bit beneath them, because Lars was willing to fall on his sword a little as playing it was on his bucket list?

By it I mean the G rather than the Other Stage.

The popular opinion is that Metallica were to play the Other when Prince was going to be on the pyramid, so they could drag a fair bit of the crowd away from a colossal draw. Dunno if its true but it does have the ring of vague plausibility about it 

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The popular opinion is that Metallica were to play the Other when Prince was going to be on the pyramid, so they could drag a fair bit of the crowd away from a colossal draw. Dunno if its true but it does have the ring of vague plausibility about it 

For that to be true then the same would also apply for booking Chase and Status opposite the Stones and MTS opposite Macca. And I don't buy it.