Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, JoeyT said:

You can see GnR. In the legend slot.

Harry Styles / AM / Elton John.

Harry Styles is just so bland though.

I'll concede that the first thing he brought out (Sign Of The Times?) was ok but everything else I've heard by him is just horrifically meh. I can't comprehend his popularity beyond the old 1D fans who like to have a bit of a swoon at him.

38 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think this is where I struggle. My list of must-sees that are headliner-level is non-existent now.  I'm not hugely fussed about any repeat viewings at Glastonbury, and almost all of the bands over my lifetime that I've really wanted to see, I've seen.

The only two exceptions I can think of would be REM (I've mentioned them in the dream lineup conversations, seen them once but not at Glastonbury) and Metallica (the only one of my "big acts" that I've never see at all).

REM will never reform and I very much doubt that Metallica will be a repeat Glastonbury headliner, so it's a slim field for me.

The undercard & smaller stages, that's where I could start reeling off dream bookings.

REM are a huge gap in my gig history.  Loved them since the late 80's and never managed to see them.  Never will now either.

I have thought of another dream headliner who could still do it, Depeche Mode.  Again, never seen them and would love to, but not at the price point the current tour is demanding.  There's a shot at 2024 being Harry Styles/Depeche Mode/Taylor Swift and if that happened (and I got a ticket) I'd be a pig in shit.  Plus, feels a very "Glasto" trio to me.

44 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

come on now .... we all now know you are a closet coldplay fan 🙂 

They came into my group 2.

One act I'm interested in seeing, wouldn't normally bother but will be a very good night if nothing else drags me away.

By 2016 I was easily dragged away by the Cabaret Tent.

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They came into my group 2.

One act I'm interested in seeing, wouldn't normally bother but will be a very good night if nothing else drags me away.

By 2016 I was easily dragged away by the Cabaret Tent.

I think the world can happily wait a while longer for another Coldplay set.

In my group, an ideal trio would be:

+ One artist on the way up/close to the potential peak of their powers.

+ One artist arguably at a fixed plateau among the biggest heavyweights of modern music.

+ One artist possibly long removed from commercial relevance but with a championship pedigree to delight in.

I'd argue 2019 represented a fine example there. Stormzy on the way up, The Killers at the top and The Cure on the way down, in a nutshell. (You can argue The Killers were also on the way down, but they're still posting number one albums with regular ease over here, so who knows.)

This year would break the mould for the former. In Arctic Monkeys, you have an artist at a fixed plateau - they're never going to be bigger than they are as a live draw now, but they're still among the most popular and established groups of twenty-first century music (at least in Britain.)

On the other hand, with Guns 'n' Roses and Elton John, you've got two who fall into the latter category. (Yes, Elton John has had a string of recent hit singles that beggars a spot of belief, but the people are going almost purely for the thirty-year-old-plus hits.)

Strike GNR, and throw Dua Lipa, or The 1975, or Dave in at their expense, and suddenly it is a trio that feels more even-keeled to me. (I can't argue however against stuffing your three-man headline bill with heritage stadium acts if you can.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In my group, an ideal trio would be:

+ One artist on the way up/close to the potential peak of their powers.

+ One artist arguably at a fixed plateau among the biggest heavyweights of modern music.

+ One artist possibly long removed from commercial relevance but with a championship pedigree to delight in.

Billie

Kendrick

Macca

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

REM are a huge gap in my gig history.  Loved them since the late 80's and never managed to see them.  Never will now either.

I have thought of another dream headliner who could still do it, Depeche Mode.  Again, never seen them and would love to, but not at the price point the current tour is demanding.  There's a shot at 2024 being Harry Styles/Depeche Mode/Taylor Swift and if that happened (and I got a ticket) I'd be a pig in shit.  Plus, feels a very "Glasto" trio to me.

Ditto to all of this.  

Still mad at myself for never managing to see REM.  I've seen Stipe perform solo a few times, and even gotten to hang out in his company a couple of times.  But I'd still rather have seen REM

34 minutes ago, gazzared said:

That video is what I was thinking of the other day when there was a suggestion that they were an anti hair metal band. 

Its one of the few music videos that I find more comical than any attempts to satirise it. 

I know they are getting a lot of stick on here but GNR are a big scoop I think. Never played Glastonbury before and are pretty legendary in musical terms. Not sure if I'd watch them, depends what else is on. But it's a bit of variety, controversial maybe but that's what it's all about right. Can't please everyone all the time

12 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That video is what I was thinking of the other day when there was a suggestion that they were an anti hair metal band. 

Its one of the few music videos that I find more comical than any attempts to satirise it. 

yeah its becomes stupid when all the cake is flying everywhere and everyones running around . Friday Artics singing Crying Lightning, Saturday night Guns singing November Rain, Rod legends trying to sing We are sailing and Elton singing Dont let the sun go down on me.......it doesnt bode well for the weather thread haha 

Edited by gazzared
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, plaskins said:

I know they are getting a lot of stick on here but GNR are a big scoop I think. Never played Glastonbury before and are pretty legendary in musical terms. Not sure if I'd watch them, depends what else is on. But it's a bit of variety, controversial maybe but that's what it's all about right. Can't please everyone all the time

I cant wait to see them 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, gazzared said:

yeah its becomes stupid when all the cake is flying everywhere and everyones running around . 

Isn't the whole thing a bit pompous and up its own arse? The big ceremony, the guitar solo, showing off his beautiful girlfriend - like a bigger budget whitesnake video or something?

Even though I do really like some of their songs I wouldn't go to see them, at least partly for songs like that. 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Isn't the whole thing a bit pompous and up its own arse? The big ceremony, the guitar solo, showing off his beautiful girlfriend - like a bigger budget whitesnake video or something?

Even though I do really like some of their songs I wouldn't go to see them, at least partly for songs like that. 

yeah it looks it now but 32 years ago when I was 16 it seemed like a great video haha