Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

58 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I'm 42 and G n R were already completely obsolete by the time that I really got into music around 93/94 ish. I'm not sure how many of those 39 year old Dad's will be into them. 

As a 39 year old (not a dad) I can say our group will all be at G&R... barring me. Seen them in 2017 Liked it.

Loved Appitite for Destruction & Use your illusion - but IMO it's an incredibly tired booking.

If they were booked when they first came back, fair enough. But to me it smacks of despiration.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It's an incredibly tired booking.

The thing with Guns 'n' Roses, as massive a draw as they clearly are, is this. (It is a problem I also share a little with Arctic Monkeys).

One or the other, alongside Elton John, would feel alright. Together, as a trio, it is undeniably blockbuster as a draw, but still feels a bit wheezy on paper.

Unless Glastonbury has truly topped out at the rarefied air that it must be stadium acts or nothing - in which case, can understand the reluctance to book Muse and Coldplay agian to a point - then there's surely plenty of others that feel a little bit fresher who they could swing for.

At the end of the day though, one man's poison is another man's party. Hope, as with everybody, they knock it out of the farm.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Unless Glastonbury has truly topped out at the rarefied air that it must be stadium acts or nothing - in which case, can understand the reluctance to book Muse and Coldplay agian to a point - then there's surely plenty of others that feel a little bit fresher who they could swing for.

The only reasonable excuse I can think of, is that for some reason(s) unknown to us, they really couldn't get anyone else.

It's not as if they haven't "taken a chance" on younger upcoming acts before.

This is a shockingly poor trio to be booking in 2023.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

The only reasonable excuse I can think of, is that for some reason(s) unknown to us, they really couldn't get anyone else.

It's not as if they haven't "taken a chance" on younger upcoming acts before.

This is a shockingly poor trio to be booking in 2023.

If my patented one-up, one-top, one-down formula is adhered too (cannot remember where I warbled on about it), then we should be taking Arctic Monkeys, one of Guns 'n' Roses and Elton John and somebody in the ascendancy. (Dua Lipa, Dave and The 1975 are the trio stuck in my noggin right now.)

Still gonna be a bigger headline trio than anything else booked in Europe. Don't see why Guns N Roses are any different to booking Metallica. Both legacy rock/metal acts that have done the rounds for years. Guns N Roses have at least 10 bangers everyone knows whether you're a festival goer or not.

Just now, kingbadger said:

Still gonna be a bigger headline trio than anything else booked in Europe. Don't see why Guns N Roses are any different to booking Metallica. Both legacy rock/metal acts that have done the rounds for years. Guns N Roses have at least 10 bangers everyone knows whether you're a festival goer or not.

Without a word of a lie I couldn't name one GnR song and although I may recognise one if I heard it, I'd be very unlikely to be able to say who it was by.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Yes and no. Metallica might not have maintained the popular awareness of the Enter Sandman days, but they were still an active band throughout that continued to tour and release. GnR are 100% heritage with 2 albums in the last 30 years, and the last one almost 15 years ago.

Both bands were / are past their peak, but aside from being hard rock / metal they're not massively comparable.