Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The problem with special guests is it could always be someone you can't stand. Thankfully I wasn't at Coldplay when they wheeled out Barry Gibb but I was trapped with no way out when The Killers enforced the bloody Pet Shop Boys on us.

The Barry Gibb bit was....yeah.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

If anything, and this is gonna cause a scene, I'd equate them to Spice Girls. Massive name that everyone knows, huge fanbase, and absolutely dominated things while they were at the top.  But if you strip it back and take away the hype they both released a very limited number of albums in that time, and while they have some songs that are absolute monsters they actually don't have a huge number of songs that hit the popular  consciousness. It's just those that did really hit home.

Right, gonna sit back and watch responses. This should be fun.

I kind of get that reference in that for me I was hugely into them for a small period of time. (I even had Axl Rose posters on my wall) but it feels like a phase I have passed out of which I imagine would be similar for a lot of Spice Girls fans. 

I also think the negativity towards them is partly to do with the trio of headliners rather than just them. If Taylor was playing or Dua or even Harry Styles I don't think the remaining 2 would get anywhere near as much grief. It just feels like the contemporary memo has been missed. 

• Like 1

I don't get the GnR thing at all - I could understand if they were headlining Download but they seem a bit of an odd fit for Glastonbury. I totally got it when Metallica played as they had a huge back catalogue and, in my opinion, had loads more to offer. I don't think the same applies to GnR at all...I really do think that if they headline it could be one of the smallest crowds for a long time.

People on here have this perception that I hate the Pyramid and deliberately miss headliners in some misguided attempt to be "cool".

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not the case. There's nothing quite like the atmosphere at the Pyramid when it's really "going off", e.g. Beyonce and Jay Z (for me).

But I ain't going to go to see acts I dislike just because they're headliners and it's the Pyramid.

Most years I see a headliner every night, just more often on WH or The Other. WH in particular tend to book acts I like.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

OK, here's one. 

If Elton John gets Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa out...

...who do Arctic Monkeys and Guns 'n' Roses whip out? (The latter have history for guests - Angus Young, Pink, Billy Gibbons, Dave Grohl and Carrie Underwood in recent years.)

Oh wow… I was 50/50 about seeing GNR but with the possibility of the absolute GOAT duck walking all over the pyramid stage is making GNR a must see. 

An Angus guest appearance setting up an AC/DC headline spot for 2024… One can dream right? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

People on here have this perception that I hate the Pyramid and deliberately miss headliners in some misguided attempt to be "cool".

Sorry to disappoint, but it's not the case. There's nothing quite like the atmosphere at the Pyramid when it's really "going off", e.g. Beyonce and Jay Z (for me).

But I ain't going to go to see acts I dislike just because they're headliners and it's the Pyramid.

Most years I see a headliner every night, just more often on WH or The Other. WH in particular tend to book acts I like.

So why are you constantly complaining about the Pyramid headliners then?

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

He's not in the band anymore, he's was a guest, I was very excited to see him. His contributions were some of the highlights of the set.

Though he played the entire tour so it wasn't anything special for Glastonbury.

Billy Wyman or Bobby Womack would have been more of a moment given they played the same weekend.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The shitstorm that followed the Kanye announcement shows the GnR thing for what it is - just a few grumpy gits moaning.

Emily won't be getting death threats and Neil Lonsdale won't be starting petitions over GnR.

If people need reminding how bad the Kanye stuff was just remember it cost us Prince FFS!!

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Nobody is asking you to. I think you'll find most people here average one Pyramid headliner a festival and loads probably less than that. West Holts often does have the best options.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I also think the negativity towards them is partly to do with the trio of headliners rather than just them. If Taylor was playing or Dua or even Harry Styles I don't think the remaining 2 would get anywhere near as much grief. It just feels like the contemporary memo has been missed. 

This is definitely a big part of it - of the three headliners they're the most objectionable so will draw the most negative attention. If they were headlining alongside Stormzy and Taylor Swift (to give just one of many more balanced examples) I doubt we'd be having this conversation. 

I won't be watching them personally but don't massively mind that they're playing - to me, the reasons they feel like a poor 'fit' are more to do with Axl's personality and reputation for turning up late than with their actual music.

7 minutes ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

I don't get the GnR thing at all - I could understand if they were headlining Download but they seem a bit of an odd fit for Glastonbury. I totally got it when Metallica played as they had a huge back catalogue and, in my opinion, had loads more to offer. I don't think the same applies to GnR at all...I really do think that if they headline it could be one of the smallest crowds for a long time.

oh look another....at glasto we like and include all music.....oh wait its heavy go stick with Download festival....it has no place here!

Guns n Roses are not a small band!!! its unbelievable people think they are and that they would struggle to sell out academys!

3 minutes ago, mouserat said:

This is definitely a big part of it - of the three headliners they're the most objectionable so will draw the most negative attention. If they were headlining alongside Stormzy and Taylor Swift (to give just one of many more balanced examples) I doubt we'd be having this conversation. 

I won't be watching them personally but don't massively mind that they're playing - to me, the reasons they feel like a poor 'fit' are more to do with Axl's personality and reputation for turning up late than with their actual music.

Yeah I agree with this. I might watch them, might not, but they make sense as a booking to me. I think @NorthernSoul52 is right that the trio feels a bit unbalanced as it's missing an up and comer but certainly not the first year that has happened.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That pretty much describes me and the average punter but there’s just no need to keep saying things are shit because they aren’t what you’d book given the choice. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree with this. I might watch them, might not, but they make sense as a booking to me. I think @NorthernSoul52 is right that the trio feels a bit unbalanced as it's missing an up and comer but certainly not the first year that has happened.

Somebody call?

But yes, this exactly.

3 minutes ago, mouserat said:

Yep that definitely makes them the easier target. I also think the lack of self-confirms etc has more people obsessing over the headliners than would normally care. I have my one headliner in Elton so really wouldn't want anymore anyway so I am perfectly happy to not be too enthused about the others. 

I have a slight concern about rumours about Lizzo being the act on before GnR just in terms of will you have fans of GnR who wouldn't care about Lizzo hanging around and spoiling the vibe but I think it'll just be a case of getting in a good spot and hoping for the best. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We still have two first time headliners though...

Said all along that AM feels the most stale booking of the three to me, despite them being massive.

people throwing a tantrum that a band they dont like are headlining because they are in their opinion rubbish live and haven't released anything in 'years' ...would probably be over the moon if Stone Roses headlined

think it stems from it was meant to be Taylor Swift and are taking their anger out on the band that has replaced her..as if they changed her mind for her 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I have a slight concern about rumours about Lizzo being the act on before GnR just in terms of will you have fans of GnR who wouldn't care about Lizzo hanging around and spoiling the vibe but I think it'll just be a case of getting in a good spot and hoping for the best. 

You may be overestimating the number of hardcore GnR fans at Glastonbury there...