Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Now this has sat with me for a bit I’m wondering why they didn’t book Lana Del Rey, Arctic Monkeys and Elton John as the three pyramid headliners.

Perhaps Lana’s live rep is the risk, but I feel like it looks like a real Glasto trio to me and would be more interesting on paper.

Lana has by far got the most press from the announcement. Far more than I’d expect from a non-headliner.

They probably had GNR there and waiting, but why did they need to rope in another stadium act when they could have taken a bit of a gamble.

Lana has five UK #1 albums. It’s hardly a Stormzy booking where you really are taking a punt on someone.

Idk. Just been thinking about it a bit.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Now this has sat with me for a bit I’m wondering why they didn’t book Lana Del Rey, Arctic Monkeys and Elton John as the three pyramid headliners.

Perhaps Lana’s live rep is the risk, but I feel like it looks like a real Glasto trio to me and would be more interesting on paper.

Lana has by far got the most press from the announcement. Far more than I’d expect from a non-headliner.

They probably had GNR there and waiting, but why did they need to rope in another stadium act when they could have taken a bit of a gamble.

Lana has five UK #1 albums. It’s hardly a Stormzy booking where you really are taking a punt on someone.

Because she’s not an exciting Pyramid level headliner, at all. I love her music but a showstopping Pyramid headliner performance she does not have in her, and that’s on a good day, discounting that more often than not she’s not having a good day when performing live. I’m gutted about missing her this year but at least with GnR I’m guaranteed huge banging singalongs even if Axl himself hasn’t got it in him. Lana has no such thing and if she fucks it or visibly can’t be arsed then it’s gonna be incredibly apparent.

• Upvote 2

Guess having Lana the same time as GnR will help make decisions like that in the future. If she out does them in performance and crowd size they'll know better next time.

As it stands though they get both and fans of Lana still get a big 90 minute set so win win for everyone. Besides top line diversity. 

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because Emily likes GnR more.

8 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Why isn’t Lana headliner? Because she’s not big enough.

Simple. 

Refreshing to see some common sense here. Astonishing to see people complaining why an act that is on the lineup with a bigger act above them isn't headlining. It's like actively wanting a weaker lineup.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, clasher said:

Refreshing to see some common sense here. Astonishing to see people complaining why an act that is on the lineup with a bigger act above them isn't headlining. It's like actively wanting a weaker lineup.

I think it's an interesting point. I don't think the "backlash" as it were would be any worse if she was headlining than if GnR were. Just over a different thing. "She's not big enough" versus "why is it all men?"

Plus the festival have outright said money is tight - I can see why we'd want the stronger line-up but it's actually interesting to question why the festival didn't just figure they could get away with it. Especially as it'd be known she was a last minute replacement with the whole Taylor thing.

(Tin-foil hat time: given her attitude over the announcement thing, maybe they offered it her and she said "yes, but I want Taylor's fee" and the festival went "nah, we can get GnR for that money and still have you on Other")

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think it's an interesting point. I don't think the "backlash" as it were would be any worse if she was headlining than if GnR were. Just over a different thing. "She's not big enough" versus "why is it all men?"

Plus the festival have outright said money is tight - I can see why we'd want the stronger line-up but it's actually interesting to question why the festival didn't just figure they could get away with it. Especially as it'd be known she was a last minute replacement with the whole Taylor thing.

(Tin-foil hat time: given her attitude over the announcement thing, maybe they offered it her and she said "yes, but I want Taylor's fee" and the festival went "nah, we can get GnR for that money and still have you on Other")

The festival starting to try to ‘get away with it’ is what could inevitably lead to their downfall along the line. Even Glastonbury isn’t untouchable in these dire times, especially in a year with a massive price increase, so now is definitely not the time to be giving headliner slots to acts not big enough to do so. People are always gonna moan about the headliners regardless, but at least you can’t deny that stadium playing GnR are big enough to do so (as much as Neil will scream in to the ether that the opposite is true). 

Also especially notable is that Lana was supposed to sub in 2020 and hasn’t gotten bigger or anything (and probably never will) so trying to sneak her up to headliner now wouldn’t go over especially well as we all know that’s not what the festival/market sees her as. 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The backlash absolutely would be much larger. Maybe not on efests where people are more likely to pay attention to music, but the mainstream platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc, would be absolutely rammed full of "who the fuck is that", "what a downer" type complaints.

Whereas I honestly don't think there's been much of a GnR backlash. The gender balance debate wasn't as loud as people expected, and went quiet pretty quickly. If you look at the comments on the Glastonbury facebook posts, they're majority positive.

7 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Who's been suggesting Lana Del Rey is big enough in this day and age to headline Glastonbury? Always happy to hear arguments for and against, but that feels like something of a pipe dream.

Evidence she’s not big enough to headline is the fact she’s…….

Not headlining. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, incident said:

The backlash absolutely would be much larger. Maybe not on efests where people are more likely to pay attention to music, but the mainstream platforms like Facebook, Twitter, etc, would be absolutely rammed full of "who the fuck is that", "what a downer" type complaints.

Whereas I honestly don't think there's been much of a GnR backlash. The gender balance debate wasn't as loud as people expected, and went quiet pretty quickly. If you look at the comments on the Glastonbury facebook posts, they're majority positive.

Couple of newspapers tried really hard to make it a thing but like you say, never really got much traction