Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kylie was the great refreshening, paving the way for the likes of Robbie Williams to do it.

Is he doing the legend slot next year then? He’s touring so why wouldn’t he do it? Because he wouldn’t take it, hence why he’s an exclusive (headliner may I add) at Isle of Wight. Not convinced Robbie will ever do it if he won’t do it this year (at least not for the next few years) which to me means they still need to refresh. You can refresh with both GnR and kylie, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Robbie has also released music far more recently than GnR so again it could be argued he is more of a headliner than GnR who haven’t released anything since the 90s

51 minutes ago, kalifire said:

You say there are signs. I say you’re reaching. Most of the things you’ve pointed to aren’t sources at all.

To be fair, and sorry to be pedantic, but everything you have listed is pretty much the definition of a sign, ie. a suggestion of something, not a confirmation of it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Is he doing the legend slot next year then? He’s touring so why wouldn’t he do it? Because he wouldn’t take it, hence why he’s an exclusive (headliner may I add) at Isle of Wight. Not convinced Robbie will ever do it if he won’t do it this year (at least not for the next few years) which to me means they still need to refresh. You can refresh with both GnR and kylie, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Robbie has also released music far more recently than GnR so again it could be argued he is more of a headliner than GnR who haven’t released anything since the 90s

Robbie's on record saying he wants to do it, so it's inevitable it'll happen at some point in the next few years.

Whereas we also have seeming confirmation that this year it's Roxy Music.

36 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think it's the former unfortunately. I don't think it ever needed to go that way and never was that way. It's a primarily non profit festival that sells every year. It does not need to jump on any 'bandwagons' so to speak to sell to a trend or promote it.

It will get a worse attendee by doing it though. I've been saying this for a few years though. As much as if I had a ticket great, a few years back I'd have been much more gutted whereas now I kind of just accept that if I fail in either of the sales then I do. I'll go elsewhere.

That is my bet. They have certainly chose to cash in this year for a far less substantial outing. I wouldn't be surprised if they did Glastonbury as a only Worldwide show or something

yup

What trend or bandwagon do you think they’re jumping on though?

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Robbie's on record saying he wants to do it, so it's inevitable it'll happen at some point in the next few years.

Whereas we also have seeming confirmation that this year it's Roxy Music.

If Neil hadn’t said Roxy Music were the legends slot and had merely said they were playing, would you have thought they were filling the legends slot or something like mid afternoon pyramid? 

I have no doubt they’re playing but am not sold they are big enough for the legends slot, a view shared by many others on here 

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone who claims there's a deterioration has to accept the fact that they're trying to tell us that the 1980s model - when Van Morrison and Elvis Costello took turns headlining - was preferable to the current 'booking the biggest acts on the planet' strategy.

Not really at all. I'm 36 lol, I don't care what was happening before I was born.

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

If Neil hadn’t said Roxy Music were the legends slot and had merely said they were playing, would you have thought they were filling the legends slot or something like mid afternoon pyramid? 

I have no doubt they’re playing but am not sold they are big enough for the legends slot, a view shared by many others on here 

I agree it's not a tap in of a booking, and will get a mixed reception. I'd definitely rather they were in the bill somewhere else and we had Cher or someone doing the big one.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree it's not a tap in of a booking, and will get a mixed reception. I'd definitely rather they were in the bill somewhere else and we had Cher or someone doing the big one.

Cher would be an incredible booking. Shame it’s not looking likely.

Just to be clear I’m not trying to come across as difficult (as I said I think it’s unlikely GnR will do legends slot- more trying to play devils advocate) but as I said I don’t think there’s a reason for us to be so dismissive of them as a legends slot possibility rather than headliner or nothing 

57 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think it's the former unfortunately. I don't think it ever needed to go that way and never was that way. It's a primarily non profit festival that sells every year. It does not need to jump on any 'bandwagons' so to speak to sell to a trend or promote it.

It will get a worse attendee by doing it though.

True, and it's happening already.

When I compare a lot of the Glastonbury attendees (not all I must stress) to Shambala, a truely independent non commercial event, who don't advertise, it's like chalk and cheese. I've heard that other smaller festivals like Noisily have a similar crowd to Shambala.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

True, and it's happening already.

When I compare a lot of the Glastonbury attendees (not all I must stress) to Shambala, a truely independent non commercial event, who don't advertise, it's like chalk and cheese. I've heard that other smaller festivals like Noisily have a similar crowd to Shambala.

If Shambala is how you want Glastonbury to be then just go to Shambala instead and save yourself the cost of going to Glastonbury.

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

If Shambala is how you want Glastonbury to be then just go to Shambala instead and save yourself the cost of going to Glastonbury.

Glastonburty costs me relatively little. No ticket cost (crew), maybe about £100 in fuel (but thats to get a live in van on site, no cost), mostly free food and I don't drink.

I've posted on this forum several times trying (mostly in vain ) that Glastonbury is more to me than the music, for me and my mates who also attend it's an annual meet up, some of them I only ever see there. Most of us have been going since the 80's and are important gogs in the Greenfields and SE corner.

I could go on but frankly it's pointless, suffice to say it's a very different experience. I wouldn't even consider going as a punter, whereas I would for Shambala.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Glastonburty costs me relatively little. No ticket cost (crew), maybe about £100 in fuel (but thats to get a live in van on site, no cost), mostly free food and I don't drink.

I've posted on this forum several times trying (mostly in vain ) that Glastonbury is more to me than the music, for me and my mates who also attend it's an annual meet up, some of them I only ever see there. Most of us have been going since the 80's and are important gogs in the Greenfields and SE corner.

I could go on but frankly it's pointless, suffice to say it's a very different experience. I wouldn't even consider going as a punter, whereas I would for Shambala.

Then why the constant moaning about the lineup?

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So I don’t really see what the issue is then. You get enjoyment from Glastonbury… because it’s Glastonbury and not Shambala. 

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

“Robbie wouldn’t take the slot but GnR would…”

Hmm…

The only reason I say that is because Robbie is touring this year and around at exactly the time of Glasto, yet has ruled himself out via exclusivity at IoW. We don't know what GnR's plans are currently, so yes what I have said, today, is currently accurate. So on current weight of evidence, it is more likely GnR do it than Robbie

Edited by tigger123