Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

The only reason I say that is because Robbie is touring this year and around at exactly the time of Glasto, yet has ruled himself out via exclusivity at IoW. We don't know what GnR's plans are currently, so yes what I have said, today, is currently accurate. So on current weight of evidence, it is more likely GnR do it than Robbie

Kate Bush hasn’t said no either. So by that logic she is just as likely as GnR.

(neither is remotely likely)

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Kate Bush hasn’t said no either. So by that logic she is just as likely as GnR.

(neither is remotely likely)

Kate Bush isn’t rumoured to be performing at the festival, so not the same thing at all. Is Kate Bush playing at other festivals in June? No.

I am not doubting the rumours, more the immediate assumption that GnR are headlining rather than playing legends slot and no one has so far come up with a solid argument other than their own opinion to prove otherwise 

Edited by tigger123

Kate Bush isn’t rumoured to be performing at the festival, so not the same thing at all.

I am not doubting the rumours, more the immediate assumption that GnR are headlining rather than playing legends slot

I’m only going to say this once more.

There is absolutely no chance that Guns n Roses, one of the biggest rock bands in history who sell out stadia and headline festivals all over the world, are playing a slot previously held by Lionel Richie, Barry Gibb and Kylie Minogue.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I’m only going to say this once more.

There is absolutely no chance that Guns n Roses, one of the biggest rock bands in history who sell out stadia and headline festivals all over the world, are playing a slot previously held by Lionel Richie, Barry Gibb and Kylie Minogue.

Do the Spice Girls sell out stadia? Yes. So why do many tout them for the legends slot? 

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Do the Spice Girls sell out stadia? Yes. So why do many tout them for the legends slot? 

Because the Spice Girls play a brand of camp, cheesy pop that would suit that slot perfectly.

Guns n Roses play a brand of music that would absolutely not suit that slot.

Have you actually been paying attention to who has been booked for it in the past?

Because the Spice Girls play a brand of camp, cheesy pop that would suit that slot perfectly.

Guns n Roses play a brand of music that would absolutely not suit that slot.

Have you actually been paying attention to who has been booked for it in the past?

Of course I’ve been paying attention but if you’d been paying attention to what I’ve previously said in this thread, in the legends slot thread, everyone was saying that the pool of legends is drying up. Therefore there is a need to refresh said pool. Getting GnR to do it is refreshing said pool by allowing it to go in the rock direction.

Also to say sweet child of mine isn’t cheese is frankly laughable, maybe not cheesy pop but certainly cheesy rock, hence it’s inclusion on every wedding playlist since 1995

3 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Of course I’ve been paying attention but if you’d been paying attention to what I’ve previously said in this thread, in the legends slot thread, everyone was saying that the pool of legends is drying up. Therefore there is a need to refresh said pool. Getting GnR to do it is refreshing said pool by allowing it to go in the rock direction.

Also to say sweet child of mine isn’t cheese is frankly laughable, maybe not cheesy pop but certainly cheesy rock, hence it’s inclusion on every wedding playlist since 1995

Having GnR as the ‘legend’ would effectively render the slot obsolete, it would just be a big act who could also headline playing in the afternoon. 

Edited by Jose Pose

The legends slot has been known in recent years as a big camp pop party, and the most successful acts - Dolly, Lionel, Kylie have got that and leant into it. Guns and Roses are by any metric a terrible fit for that slot.

There are still plenty more acts in the pool to come - the likes of Duran Duran and Bryan Adams would be much better fits if they want to look at more guitary acts. If they want to stay pop then they’ll move into the 90’s and look to likes of Robbie and the Spice Girls. Then there are acts like Cher and Celene Dion who could still do it.

It still hasn’t been made clear why Guns n Roses, who would  headline anywhere on Earth and are notoriously prickly would ever consider taking a fourth down slot. And no, I doubt they would consider it a fourth headliner.

5 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Having GnR as the ‘legend’ would effectively render the slot obsolete, it would just be a big act who could also headline playing in the afternoon. 

Are kylie  and Diana Ross not big acts? Seem to remember kylie was booked to headline in the 00s

Edited by tigger123

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The legends slot has been known in recent years as a big camp pop party, and the most successful acts - Dolly, Lionel, Kylie have got that and leant into it. Guns and Roses are by any metric a terrible fit for that slot.

There are still plenty more acts in the pool to come - the likes of Duran Duran and Bryan Adams would be much better fits if they want to look at more guitary acts. If they want to stay pop then they’ll move into the 90’s and look to likes of Robbie and the Spice Girls. Then there are acts like Cher and Celene Dion who could still do it.

It still hasn’t been made clear why Guns n Roses, who would  headline anywhere on Earth and are notoriously prickly would ever consider taking a fourth down slot. And no, I doubt they would consider it a fourth headliner.

I would argue the legends slot is about singalong rather than camp. I wouldn’t say Ray Davies is camp.

GnR have loads of singalong hits and as I said are cheesy rock, so would therefore fit the bill given the cheese element of their music 

• Upvote 1

Just now, tigger123 said:

I would argue the legends slot is about singalong rather than camp. I wouldn’t say Ray Davies is camp.

GnR have loads of singalong hits and as I said are cheesy rock, so would therefore fit the bill given the cheese element of their music 

Ray Davies was 12 years ago. Since then Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, Barry Gibb, Kylie Minogue and Diana Ross have done it. Fair to say the slot has evolved somewhat since then.

Ray Davies was 12 years ago. Since then Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, Barry Gibb, Kylie Minogue and Diana Ross have done it. Fair to say the slot has evolved somewhat since then.

And it will evolve again! The fact it’s evolved already gives greater weight to my argument it will evolve now!

3 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Are kylie  and Diana Ross not big acts? Seem to remember kylie was booked to headline in the 00s

It’s a Sunday afternoon slot, the legend is generally an act that suits that timing and which Dianna and Kylie did perfectly. Of course there is a bit of crossover, for example Stevie Wonder headlined but would’ve also made a great legend if booked in that slot.

GnR are a big rock band, put them in the legends slot and the slot effectively just becomes ‘anybody big’.

Answer the question rather than deflecting 

I have. Several times.

We’ll have to agree to disagree here. Personally I think the idea of GnR playing the legends slot is utter insanity and will never happen.

If they ever do I’ll meet you at the Cider Bus before and buy you a pint.

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

It’s a Sunday afternoon slot, the legend is generally an act that suits that timing and which Dianna and Kylie did perfectly. Of course there is a bit of crossover, for example Stevie Wonder headlined but would’ve also made a great legend if booked in that slot.

GnR are a big rock band, put them in the legends slot and the slot effectively just becomes ‘anybody big’.

They’re hardly Metallica are they? They are cheesy rock. If any rock or metal head said my fave band is GnR they would be laughed at by people from that scene

I have. Several times.

We’ll have to agree to disagree here. Personally I think the idea of GnR playing the legends slot is utter insanity and will never happen.

If they ever do I’ll meet you at the Cider Bus before and buy you a pint.

Agreed. To reiterate again, I’m not trying to be difficult here, more trying to say that actually if you think about it they are a possibility for the slot and would go down a storm may I add.

as I said before, I agree it’s not likely, more I am arguing we shouldn’t immediately discount them being the legends as a possibility given the evidence I’ve given and given that there a few solid rumours for headliners this year. By having GnR as legends allows a greater accommodation of artists rumoured to be on the lineup.

Have really enjoyed the to and fro though. Enjoy rest of your Saturday x

Just now, tigger123 said:

Agreed. To reiterate again, I’m not trying to be difficult here, more trying to say that actually if you think about it they are a possibility for the slot and would go down a storm may I add.

as I said before, I agree it’s not likely, more I am arguing we shouldn’t immediately discount them being the legends as a possibility given the evidence I’ve given and given that there a few solid rumours for headliners this year. By having GnR as legends allows a greater accommodation of artists rumoured to be on the lineup.

Have really enjoyed the to and fro though. Enjoy rest of your Saturday x

Indeed pal. Have a good one.