Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

Although I’m totally one for silly long 3 hour sets, I feel like a GnR set is gonna benefit massively from being cut down a little and having some of the covers/lesser known stuff left out so we’ll get a tight 2 or so hour set of all bangers and singalongs. I’d love to hear the likes of Coma live, but Glastonbury isn’t the place for 10+ minute long deep cut dirges. 

• Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this. Had tickets for their postponed Glasgow show (probably cancelled now, just not official. Got a refund anyway)

Never seen them before. Download vid looks great, apart from the flat crowd. Who pissed on their chips? Weirdos.

Like others have said Prodigy clash would be a nightmare although I've seen them about 12 times over almost 30 years, and will always see them on tour. So GnR regardless for me.

Will they be the best live act playing at the time? No.

Will they have the best back catalogue of anyone playing at the time? In my opinion, probably.

Will they be the only band playing whose debut album cover I wore as a patch on a denim jacket when I was 10? Yes, damn right I’ll be there.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why the G show is the one to see.

See, I fear they'll be performing to a very large, but indifferent crowd, that will, alas, not include me . It will be acceptable, probably, but nothing like the most memorable Pyramid headline, because it's Guns and Roses, playing their songs, which are mostly dirge.

Elton and G&R are a result for me though. Means I can be relaxed elsewhere knowing I'm not missing anything good.

*Love shit Pyramid head-liners*

3 minutes ago, bamber said:

See, I fear they'll be performing to a very large, but indifferent crowd, that will, alas, not include me . It will be acceptable, probably, but nothing like the most memorable Pyramid headline, because it's Guns and Roses, playing their songs, which are mostly dirge.

Elton and G&R are a result for me though. Means I can be relaxed elsewhere knowing I'm not missing anything good.

*Love shit Pyramid head-liners*

You can see if Jessie j is on instead I guess 😂

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd expect the opposite - a smaller crowd but one that's up for it. What happened with Metallica, basically.

Fair point. That is likely the outcome, joy to those who'll be there.

Shades of G&R here also.

2 hours ago, DJL said:

Will they be the best live act playing at the time? No.

Will they have the best back catalogue of anyone playing at the time? In my opinion, probably.

Will they be the only band playing whose debut album cover I wore as a patch on a denim jacket when I was 10? Yes, damn right I’ll be there.

Which one? The cross with the skulls or the rapey robot one? At 10 I hope it was the former.

6 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I think they are much more mainstream than Metallica though both have obviously been used for mainstream media recently and therefore rediscovered without some of the baggage they had before. 

Metallica are a little different in that they’ve released a steady stream of albums since their inception, with like five of those being classics of the genre, and maintained a great live reputation.

GnR released one absolute classic, two bloated (albeit occasionally brilliant) messes, broke up, then Frankenstein’s monster’d back to life with a patchy live reputation at best, released one of the most long standing music punchline albums to a resounding ‘eh’, then got the old band kinda back together, but not really. I’m a fan, and I’d go see them, but I can totally understand why their booking is looked at as being a bit shit and out of left field. They were a bit of a joke for a lot longer than they were an actual working, touring, music making band. They just happened to have released one of the biggest ass kicking debut albums ever. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica are a little different in that they’ve released a steady stream of albums since their inception, with like five of those being classics of the genre, and maintained a great live reputation.

GnR released one absolute classic, two bloated (albeit occasionally brilliant) messes, broke up, then Frankenstein’s monster’d back to life with a patchy live reputation at best, released one of the most long standing music punchline albums to a resounding ‘eh’, then got the old band kinda back together, but not really. I’m a fan, and I’d go see them, but I can totally understand why their booking is looked at as being a bit shit and out of left field. They were a bit of a joke for a lot longer than they were an actual working, touring, music making band. They just happened to have released one of the biggest ass kicking debut albums ever. 

They never actually broke up. There was just long periods of inactivity and endless delays in making Chinese democracy 

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

They never actually broke up. There was just long periods of inactivity and endless delays in making Chinese democracy 

Without paying any particular attention, I've always got the impression that the band members in G&R don't really like each other very much, hence the preponderance of dirge.