2023 - hopefully not as busy as 2022?

youngfathers

23 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Some of the Recycling Crew had the QR codes on their wristbands so they were just scanned in and out

I think most crews have had them for the last 2 festivals.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Yea I camp in the Dragon field

That explains it

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think you must have been camping inside the fence then?  

There’s no need for someone camping inside to have one as it would only be useful for those camping outside and coming and going through the gates all the time I think

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

We didn't

here's a generic 2022 crew wristband

For sale on ebay for £50 😵

s-l1600.jpg

That's exactly the wristband I had. No QR code, camped just outside the fence. Had to use the pass-out system every time, which is a mild inconvenience. You'd think in 2023 all wristbands could be QR coded. Would anyone like to hazard a guess on how many people sneaked in last year? I know of half a dozen plus met a further 5 or 6 who either jumped the fence of bagged/paid their way in. That's one way of controlling the numbers, by reducing those who get in without a ticket 

48 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess on how many people sneaked in last year? I know of half a dozen plus met a further 5 or 6 who either jumped the fence of bagged/paid their way in. That's one way of controlling the numbers, by reducing those who get in without a ticket 

I know about 10 who got in without a ticket.

A security manager told us the bigger crowds were mainly due to the festival selling surplus performer passes as general tickets, so although total numbers were as per the licence the numbers actively around the festival’s public areas was much more. He suggested 10,000. No idea if he really knew…

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

A security manager told us the bigger crowds were mainly due to the festival selling surplus performer passes as general tickets, so although total numbers were as per the licence the numbers actively around the festival’s public areas was much more. He suggested 10,000. No idea if he really knew…

That’s against the conditions of the licence so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t just chatting breeze tbh.  

59 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

They can't do that, the public tickets are fixed at 140kish. 

I think a lot of those other 60,000 will have stayed on site for the weekend rather than pack up after their day was done. 

The stories of sneaking in do worry me slightly, it's a trickle right now but it doesn't take much for word to get out over a number of years and it becomes something closer to 2000 levels. 

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

They can't do that, the public tickets are fixed at 140kish. 

I think a lot of those other 60,000 will have stayed on site for the weekend rather than pack up after their day was done. 

The stories of sneaking in do worry me slightly, it's a trickle right now but it doesn't take much for word to get out over a number of years and it becomes something closer to 2000 levels. 

Based on the crowds last year I don’t think it was a trickle last year. Whatever they fixed about people sneaking in previous years was very broken this past year, I think. 

7 hours ago, assorted said:

Based on the crowds last year I don’t think it was a trickle last year. Whatever they fixed about people sneaking in previous years was very broken this past year, I think. 

I still feel it was more to do with programming and weak clashes to be honest. But the flash points have been noted and we know that the festival have it on their radar. 

• Upvote 1

Overcrowding and difficulties with crowd movement happened due to very popular acts on smaller stages attracting big audiences. The park for wet leg and a couple of times at the Avalon were particularly busy. Could have been a lot worse if the weather had been bad. I’m sure that will be looked at this year as it was noted in the council report.  

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

6) Possibly more food vendors will come back to the scene after having done a year and being able to pay Glastonburys fees so the queues might be a little shorter at stalls.

That's interesting - was there a known shortage of food vendors last year? I tend to avoid the worst of the queues by buying my food at 'off peak' times, and I don't drink coffee so I avoid some of the worst queues at the few venues which actually sell a decent brew.

I've also heard that the pandemic saw a certain degree of staff churn mid-festival and the incoming ones weren't terribly competent.

Sounds to me like a perfect storm of being out of practice (both the fest and the punters), a moderate increase in ticket numbers, a desire to experience absolutely everything, and poor stage placements for several acts.

Hopefully next year we can all just caaaaaaalm dooooooown. We've all had a Covid.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Overcrowding and difficulties with crowd movement happened due to very popular acts on smaller stages attracting big audiences. The park for wet leg and a couple of times at the Avalon were particularly busy. Could have been a lot worse if the weather had been bad. I’m sure that will be looked at this year as it was noted in the council report.  

If the weather was bad people would be trying to moving around the site less / performers leaving early which could actually help i think

14 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

It did save people the trouble of carrying around their ticket with them

Last year recycling crew didn't get the EPO ones which meant that if you wanted to go outside the fence you needed your ticket and a pass out.

In previous years we've had QR codes but was never aware of them being scanned.  That said as I camp inside the fence I don't normally go back out once I'm in.