Williams Green

4AssedMonkey

11 hours ago, august1 said:

The Thursday stuff was stupid but I liked the stage and what they put on over the weekend, probably under attended though.

I reckon it will become a food/bar area that entire section,  I think Worthy Pastures might have given them the idea to have that as a chill place throw in the madness of Thursday last year..

Yeah when WG first launched there was much ado made about it having a "food court" area - it's become a bit subsumed by the stage in recent years.

I can see them dropping the stage and opening it up a bit. Maybe the tent and line-up moves to where Arcadia is if they don't get invited back?

17 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I can see them dropping the stage and opening it up a bit. Maybe the tent and line-up moves to where Arcadia is if they don't get invited back?

There's no information to suggest Arcadia won't be in their field but even if they don't come back the hole that would need filling is electronic music playing to 10-20K people every night.  I can't see WG being anything to do with it. 

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

There's no information to suggest Arcadia won't be in their field but even if they don't come back the hole that would need filling is electronic music playing to 10-20K people every night.  I can't see WG being anything to do with it. 

I think the spider will be back with a new project in 2024 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I think the spider will be back with a new project in 2024 

They bought a royal navy helicopter didn't they but I'm not sure that idea is a goer to be honest!  Combined with Arcadia's propane fireballs and sounds it might be a little too war zone like.

39 minutes ago, stuie said:

would be quite funny if they were stuck with the chopper haha

I reckon the chopper will be ready this year

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I agree, but it will be exciting for first timers.

It's us some of us old timers that find it boring.

You’ve still got to change things up though, by that logic you’d never have to change anything, because it would be great for first timers.

Lets not forget it was also used at the blood World Cup, so I’m not sure why anyone would want it back anyway.

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

You’ve still got to change things up though, by that logic you’d never have to change anything, because it would be great for first timers.

Lets not forget it was also used at the blood World Cup, so I’m not sure why anyone would want it back anyway.

Again I totally agree with you. Several areas have gone stale IMO; Shangri La is massively overdue a shake up, it could be reconfigured to allow more space, Unfairground is very stale.

I'm also with you on the blood world cup thing, as a result I'd rather they were binned.

13 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

They tried, it didn't work out, they will try again. 

14 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

If that's the logic we're applying then we'll need a whole new national team too.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

They tried, it didn't work out, they will try again. 

If that's the logic we're applying then we'll need a whole new national team too.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I think playing in a competition that you’re obligated to as part of your profession Vs actively profiting from it as a business is very different. Plus this is a festival forum, not the England football team forum. I’m not saying we don’t need a new national team, but they wouldn’t be relevant to a conversation about Arcadia.

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I think playing in a competition that you’re obligated to as part of your profession Vs actively profiting from it as a business is very different. Plus this is a festival forum, not the England football team forum. I’m not saying we don’t need a new national team, but they wouldn’t be relevant to a conversation about Arcadia.

...in a thread about Williams Green.  Let's leave it there 😆

Just now, Jose Pose said:

its changing ... it might be this year it might be next depends how quickly Arcadia manage to get the ideas together and develop them .... if its not ready they wont launch it and the spider will come in for another year fill in ... I think thats fair enough tbh 

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Again I totally agree with you. Several areas have gone stale IMO; Shangri La is massively overdue a shake up, it could be reconfigured to allow more space, Unfairground is very stale.

I'm also with you on the blood world cup thing, as a result I'd rather they were binned.

Although I don't think the festival is beyond critique (there are those that think everything they touch turns to gold), they generally get it right in most areas, every year. However, I think you have a point in that they've arguably let two or three areas become a little tired all at the same time. The issue is, I would imagine that time, resources, creative thought or most importantly budget isn't there to be able to address them all at once. Upheaving all areas that could do with a creative rethink at the same time would be a massive undertaking. 

Caveat: of course the festival is still a wonderous place, the highlight of the year, far exceeding any other festival experience in the UK, but I do think there's scope for new ideas in certain areas. Of course last year, the fallout of COVID had an impact on the organisation, but I'm really interested to see what they have in store in 2023 to keep things fresh and innovative...

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

That’s surely down to booking acts like Calvin Harris.

The instillation itself is now dull and well and truly past it’s sell by date.

Put a pig pen in its place and it would still have the same amount of people there for an act like Calvin Harris.

completely -change is on the way anyway

its in a far better state than several other areas 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its changing ... it might be this year it might be next depends how quickly Arcadia manage to get the ideas together and develop them .... if its not ready they wont launch it and the spider will come in for another year fill in ... I think thats fair enough tbh 

Fair, maybe, but considering it wasn’t even meant to be back last year, it would still be disappointing if they end up trotting it out again this year, especially after appearing in Qatar.

Just now, Jose Pose said:

Fair, maybe, but considering it wasn’t even meant to be back last year, it would still be disappointing if they end up trotting it out again this year, especially after appearing in Qatar.

dont really disagree ... although I think it'll return anyway as the dust settles