Areas that would benefit from a "revamp"

Skip997

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Involvement in the Qatar World Cup aside (if we held firm to those principals, we'd have half a festival with hardly any punters), Arcadia definitely needs a retool. I think I'd prefer a hanger-style area dedicated to electronica over the same fire and lightning from the spider, crane or helicopter.

Are you advocating for Chesney Hawkes?

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Let’s hope so, but didn’t we lose the Blues last year? Which was the best part of SH anyway, so what with their new stage, net/net we’re still no further forward in making it an area with a bit more character. 

Blues and gully went I think … issues with getting workforce and scaffolders to do the safety checks … and probably budgets too 

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think they do own them, they have this cool one but not sure they'd want to bring too much as it would almost be like setting up a mini LSTD inside glasto and could hurt their own sales etc

image.jpeg.cd877e5827589d5e2a84dff8f57a5245.jpeg

Yeah that’s the one I was thinking off 🙂 could do it … see arcadia / valley fest 

Edited by Crazyfool01

47 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It also gives marginalised groups a safe space for free expression and creativity. It's not for everyone because it wasn't designed for everyone in mind. It's a Glastonbury staple, as important as anywhere on site, if the ethos of the festival is as true as is suggested. 

30 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Let's get some more queer spaces and leave NYC for the tourists. 

NYC Downlow is a very specific part of gay culture, and IMO is getting more and more dated. 

There's so much more that doesn't really get a look in- especially when you consider what's happening elsewhere in the country with queer house and techno. 

• Upvote 2

Losing The Blues aside, the revamp for SH was an improvement.  I would imagine it'll be an ongoing evolution so am quite excited to see that develop.

Arcadia definitely could do with a revamp, it's gutting that they weren't able to keep the crane so that will have completely scuppered their plans.  One can only hope that the blood money they made off going to Qatar will fund an exciting project for this years festival.  As much as I like the Spider, another year of it would be a little disappointing.

It'd be nice if most of the SEC gets a bit of an overhaul.  I'd imagine bloc9 will have a refresh after genosys rotting away and iicon being more established so I'd hope they'll have a bit of money/time to spend on that.

It's a shame  that shangri la has become a victim of it's own success.   I loved the microvenues and installations they used to have but it just isn't safe to do so with how popular it is.  

But as much as I moan, I can't wait to be back there and will have a great time regardless.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, gfa said:

SH - build a hanger or lets see what team love do, hopefully can get some big acts there to draw people over from the SE corner, it certainly has the space to get some decent crowds late night. Really liked the wow tent 🙂

22 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Gotta be honest, I was always amazed at Arcadia on TV, and I just remember it feeling like a let down when I actually got there. There's a distinct lack of atmosphere.

Get the Hanger up that parklife had a few years ago. I think creamfields use it now as the steelyard. 

e_30.jpg

Img_2023_02_02_16_17_38.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Just now, Leyrulion said:

Oh I've just remembered -isnt arcadia getting a helicopter this year? 

They posted that they bought a chopper in September but there's been nothing that I could see post that confirming what they are doing with it.

I'm assuming that following losing the crane and the money gained from qatar, that they'll be doing something with it but in efests tradition, that's just speculation 

9 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

It's a shame  that shangri la has become a victim of it's own success.   I loved the microvenues and installations they used to have but it just isn't safe to do so with how popular it is.  

This, and the media hype.

Far too many go there just to look at "the naughty corner", which in reality isn't that naughty at all.

I agree with what a lot of you have said. 

Silver Hayes is the first that comes to mind.  As others have said, occupies a lot of space, and I think should be a counterbalance to the SE Corner, but doesn't draw the numbers.  It needs more atmosphere.  With Blues gone, it feels like the least creative looking space of the whole festival.  

As much as I love Block9, it IS just a queue for the NYC Downlow these days.  Could definitely use a shakeup.  

I miss the tunnels at Shangri La, and the micro venues.  Maybe its a safety issue (the mud made the tunnels really difficult to walk through in 2011) but it's not a place where you can get lost anymore.  

4 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I agree with what a lot of you have said. 

Silver Hayes is the first that comes to mind.  As others have said, occupies a lot of space, and I think should be a counterbalance to the SE Corner, but doesn't draw the numbers.  It needs more atmosphere.  With Blues gone, it feels like the least creative looking space of the whole festival.  

As much as I love Block9, it IS just a queue for the NYC Downlow these days.  Could definitely use a shakeup.  

I miss the tunnels at Shangri La, and the micro venues.  Maybe its a safety issue (the mud made the tunnels really difficult to walk through in 2011) but it's not a place where you can get lost anymore.  

image.jpeg.408404afaa9fdf3c46b2c031527a7547.jpeg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Making SH focused on small micro areas (which rely less on the terrain) could work, then focus on bigger stages in the SE corner maybe?

Not a bad idea, as long as somehow it's hyped massively,  make it sound like it's the new Shangri La with the added bonus of no one-way system, easily accessible from The Pyramid and The Other Stage etc

Edited by Skip997

13 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

2011 was soooo slippy in there. I have a very vivid memory of stacking it, needing the help of a steward to stand up and then instantly slipping over again… this time instead of trying to stand up I thought the obvious thing to do was phone my mates to see where they were, turned out they were about 2m away and had been watching the whole thing laughing.

3 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I like IICON, but it's apples and oranges. 

They only have limited budget, once Genosys is sorted this year it will be back in a good condition. Theres about 3 other dance areas alone that could do with the money far more than Block9

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Making SH focused on small micro areas (which rely less on the terrain) could work, then focus on bigger stages in the SE corner maybe?

I think Glastonbury is just too big for microvenues like that now. Even the small ish ones in the park had queues outside of them.

The stewarding operation required would be significant. 

Edit- this is super sad btw, because the Boomtown microvenues were incredible.

Edited by Leyrulion

10 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I'd like Lost Vagueness to get a bit of space again.

It did need a reboot in it's last couple of years but I'm sure that a return would be spectacular. 

I could handle a bit of that

We need a bit of proper old school twistedness

• Upvote 1