Areas that would benefit from a "revamp"

Skip997

On 2/2/2023 at 4:14 PM, BambooShanks said:

Losing The Blues aside, the revamp for SH was an improvement.  I would imagine it'll be an ongoing evolution so am quite excited to see that develop.

Arcadia definitely could do with a revamp, it's gutting that they weren't able to keep the crane so that will have completely scuppered their plans.  One can only hope that the blood money they made off going to Qatar will fund an exciting project for this years festival.  As much as I like the Spider, another year of it would be a little disappointing.

It'd be nice if most of the SEC gets a bit of an overhaul.  I'd imagine bloc9 will have a refresh after genosys rotting away and iicon being more established so I'd hope they'll have a bit of money/time to spend on that.

It's a shame  that shangri la has become a victim of it's own success.   I loved the microvenues and installations they used to have but it just isn't safe to do so with how popular it is.  

But as much as I moan, I can't wait to be back there and will have a great time regardless.

Bit late to this, but what happened with the crane then? Assumed they owned it?

Wasn't there last year but was it back to the spider?

I haven't been in Shangri-la properly for years really. Always seems too busy. We spent a fair bit of time at Block 9 in 2019. I like that you can actually have a bit of space to move there (I'm old).

On 2/2/2023 at 4:42 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hard agree

It would be great to see more queer spaces pop up. At Supernormal this year there was a little venue taken over by Birmingham based Queef Qult and it was a highlight of the festival. Would love to see stuff like that, having collectives take over programming for small venues (they may well have stuff like that I've missed though, to be fair!).

16 hours ago, e_p said:

The glade evolution was a massive step backwards.  Losing the smaller venues there and London Underground removed the best “club” venues in my mind. Maybe bar Downlow

For me The Glade Dome is the best "glade" venue they've ever had. Spaceport and the other one never really had a strong identity.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Bit late to this, but what happened with the crane then? Assumed they owned it?

Wasn't there last year but was it back to the spider?

I haven't been in Shangri-la properly for years really. Always seems too busy. We spent a fair bit of time at Block 9 in 2019. I like that you can actually have a bit of space to move there (I'm old).

Permanent planning permission for the base was refused, and it was prohibitively expensive to do a full build of the crane every year, so they had to demolish it.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For me The Glade Dome is the best "glade" venue they've ever had. Spaceport and the other one never really had a strong identity.

I really liked it too. The old glade was over subscribed past mid afternoon and I prefer it with room to dance! Keep the big names in the new glade tent I say.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

I echo the comments about the late night area "weirdness" that has been missing since about 2011.  The Trash City micro-venues, the oxygen bars, playing Dracula at ping pong for tequila shots, the "Dusk Til Dawn" bar they had with vampire dancers in.  I really miss that element.

Oh my god the oxygen bars! That's given me a major flashback to finishing our night with a little hit of oxygen a couple of times, confident that it will undo all the other damage!

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What kind of thing did they have on there?

House mostly, not too dissimilar to the old Beat Hotel but maybe less commercial/tech house.  Saw Daniel Avery and Jon Hopkins there Saturday I think. 

Just now, giantkatestacks said:

Was the bar that we all miss the Snake Pit or was it called something else? That was by far and away my favourite bar at Glastonbury ever, probably because of the procession beforehand which used to be so cool. I thought the Lonely Hearts in SH a lovely new venue though.

I used to love the Snake Pit but I feel like it's been gone a long while?

11 minutes ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

SH could be so much better if it was laid out like a rabbit warren with a few smaller venues thrown in. The wide, straight walkthrough is unnecessary for the size of the crowds that SH attracts.

I guess its like that for when something ends at JP and people are heading to other or vice versa - it is quite a key way round the site from other to the pyramid 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's also the main way into the heart of the site from Pedestrian Gate A.

image.png.e4d8aedfc784378e3d7c1294ab9a871e.png

Theres that BBC Introducing bypass anyway.

They could definitely reconfigure the area to make it works, maybe move everything towards one side and relocate introducing to the new path