Vodafone

Crazyfool01

Just now, MJP said:

This is sort of surprising - it’s a massive decision and risk to change comms infrastructure supplier.

I wonder if EE backed out of it to focus on other things.

Contract was probably up and they offered it to the highest bidder. Of course, Vodafone would have needed to prove they can match the previous service before GFL committed. Don't think we'll see any difference, just a splash of red instead of turquoise.

No doubt the biggest queues over the entire weekend will be for the charging tent!

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Contract was probably up and they offered it to the highest bidder. Of course, Vodafone would have needed to prove they can match the previous service before GFL committed. Don't think we'll see any difference, just a splash of red instead of turquoise.

No doubt the biggest queues over the entire weekend will be for the charging tent!

There isn’t a lot of cash floating around the business right now (it’s currently seeking £3bn savings) so you’re right that they probably made a poorer offer.

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Don’t these contracts run in terms of spells … so just presume that the EE one has run it’s cause and that vodaphone have come in with a better offer 

I wonder if company ethics, environmental policy and impact, and even political donations, could also play a part?

cell towers are cell towers, and the backbone fibre that links from the site to the wider world will still be there , so in -theory- this is like changing your broadband provider, everyone should still get the capacity of the infrastructure, just a different logo on the guides.

Though if they rate limit non voda sims, that'll be a bit shit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Wont make any meaningful difference i dont think

at least the festival only does sponsorship for stuff it absolutely has to, like mobile infrastructure and booze. 

It makes a huge amount of difference. If you were on EE you’d be guaranteed good connectivity for most of the weekend.

Gutted, I'm EE.

My husband has always been Vodafone and his service is always absolutely SHOCKING! Don't know why he stays, can't be bothered to change I suppose.So this does fill me with a little bit of dread...

Main change is the app, EE one is years tried and tested so would just need tweaks. Coming up with a whole new one which is better...May take some time 😬 but then if its about investment like you're saying then maybe Vodafone are the ones with the dollar to pull it out of the bag...

I won't be changing that's for sure!! I've always got better signal than my husband so even with Vodafone sponsorship I'll probably still have better service on the farm with EE 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Been a Vodafone customer for years and can barely get a signal in central London.

I’ve lived in a few houses in Bristol and Vodafone are the only network I can get a signal indoors with. It’s the only thing that’s made up for the shocking customer services over the years.

Just now, dondo said:

So do we assume that Vodafone will put up temporary masts like EE did?

probably cos more than ee put in temporary masts, i know cos i once got told off for saying "only" ee (or orange as it was) put in temporary masts.

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

I’ve lived in a few houses in Bristol and Vodafone are the only network I can get a signal indoors with. It’s the only thing that’s made up for the shocking customer services over the years.

i get good ee signal.

Edited by Neil

53 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

And what’s the exclusive tickets thing about on the video ? 

51 minutes ago, mikegday said:

They say ‘exclusive tickets’ not a fan of that - unless it’s a small competition? Did EE give tickets out?

48 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yes, there was always an EE ticket competition. 

EE gave out tickets but the competition was open to all, not just ee customers. 

That video feels a lot more "sponsorshipy" than anything I remember EE doing (but maybe I didn't see their stuff). 

Edited by Leyrulion

2 minutes ago, dondo said:

So do we assume that Vodafone will put up temporary masts like EE did?

there have been a number of temporary masts backstage of the pyramid for a number of years, so its not just one network with temporary masts.... maybe vodaphone have had temporary mast, but still a crap service.

3 minutes ago, danssol said:

most recent phones will let you add another SIM. I'm on EE with an ESIM so I will get a PAYG sim from a provider on the Vodafone network. Then let the phone use the best network. Can't see anything going wrong

Worth sharing that I was recently abroad and had a foreign eSIM and UK eSIM live at the same time - absolutely nuked my iPhone 14 Pro battery. Suggest turning off whichever the worst signal is when you get to the farm.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MJP said:

It makes a huge amount of difference. If you were on EE you’d be guaranteed good connectivity for most of the weekend.

How do you know you wont get the same? We’ll see.

there is a separate argument about how much one needs to use their phone at the festival anyway

Firstly as of December 2021, no networks are allowed to sell locked phones, according to regulations set out by Ofcom. 

Here's some lebara deals, which use the same network, also 5g and roam to 42 countries...please note they have done cheaper and may do again before June... 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-5g-sim-no-contract-3gb-at-99p-pm-for-6-mth-5gb-at-ps149-pm-for-6-mth-12gb-at-ps299-pm-for-6-mth-at-mse-lebara-4079988

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-mobile-15gb-unlimited-texts-and-mins-ps278-for-3months-4053719

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-21gb-data-unlimited-mintext-eu-roaming-100-international-min-ps318pm-for-3-months-ps12-tcb-possible-at-uswitchlebara-4081874