Vodafone

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, MJP said:

Worth sharing that I was recently abroad and had a foreign eSIM and UK eSIM live at the same time - absolutely nuked my iPhone 14 Pro battery. Suggest turning off whichever the worst signal is when you get to the farm.

Strange, am currently in India with my Smarty UK SIM and Vodafone Idea Local eSIM and have not noticed any battery drain and been here 3 months! 

54 minutes ago, Big durbs said:

I'm sure Voda used to provide the masts for Glasto back in the day , a friend of mine used to put the mast up on site ( he hates it as mostly wading through mud back in the day )

it will be interesting as i am on Voda , and have always had good signal on site , even under EE

Orange were definetly the sponsor/provider back in 2003, I was the security supervisor for the towers/orange recharge points for a few weeks over the festival build/break.

These temporary masts are not provided by the actual networks, most of the networks use a dedicated company such as Dael Telecom, who install and maintain the temporary masts on site. 
Also the masts can be used for more than one network provider and are not solely for say Vodafone.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Yes, usually the differences are related to some providers not having 5g, or roaming or other things - but those are easy to check before signing up. 

I've seen quite a few discussions about MVNOs and never seen speed being the issue. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/piggybacking/

Some things aren't easy to check - for example, on EE it's been established that most of the MVNOs (including BT and PlusNet, who are part of the same group of companies) either didn't or in some cases still don't have access to the 800mhz band. This will definitely impact on speeds in some situations - such as a congested area like Glastonbury.

Edited by incident

52 minutes ago, incident said:

Some things aren't easy to check - for example, on EE it's been established that most of the MVNOs (including BT and PlusNet, who are part of the same group of companies) either didn't or in some cases still don't have access to the 800mhz band. This will definitely impact on speeds in some situations - such as a congested area like Glastonbury.

That's six years old and a lot has changed since then. 

I'm just wary of people signing up for contracts which are in some cases far more expensive when the key aspects of service are either (by most accounts) as good, or stated explicitly, namely - 

Do they do WiFi calling, do they do 5g,what roaming do they support. 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

That's six years old and a lot has changed since then.

And a lot hasn't.

Plusnet still don't have access to the 800mhz bands for example (nor wifi/5g calling, they're not a good option for anyone).

4 hours ago, dondo said:

I'm looking at Talkmobile as they offer EU roaming.  1 month with 100gb for £12.95 and £20 cashback through topcashback.co.uk 

Thanks for that. They have some great deals with low data. (20gb for 7.95 is my sweet spot.) I really mostly use my phone for IM with a few texts when I'm at Glastonbury, so don't need a lot of data. I had been looking at ASDA as well but would prefer not for a number of reasons.

Pity about the switch. I got an EE SIM last year for a Wifi hotspot and had it with me at the Festival. I think after Thursday I took my 3 Sim out of the phone as it was useless and replaced it with my EE sim. I had a flawless connection after that. I used O2 years back and was getting texts 2-3 days after the festival, but I'd hope they've improved since 2009.

50 minutes ago, incident said:

And a lot hasn't.

Plusnet still don't have access to the 800mhz bands for example (nor wifi/5g calling, they're not a good option for anyone).

No, I found this out after switching to them. They are meant to be getting WiFi calling this month but I switched back to Vodafone and will be staying now…

30 minutes ago, t0paz said:

No, I found this out after switching to them. They are meant to be getting WiFi calling this month but I switched back to Vodafone and will be staying now…

I have no connection to lebara, but have been an avid VF user in the past and was very loyal. 

The reason I'm a bit of a convert to the benefits of MVNOs is that I know someone who was paying about twenty quid a month who switched to this (now expired). 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-15gb-data-for-ps149-for-first-six-months-at-mse-lebara-4043967

Also had WiFi calling, also 5g, 42 country roaming. They've never complained about coverage, speed or service and I genuinely can't fathom how some of those operators can afford to sell it for that. 

26 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I have no connection to lebara, but have been an avid VF user in the past and was very loyal. 

The reason I'm a bit of a convert to the benefits of MVNOs is that I know someone who was paying about twenty quid a month who switched to this (now expired). 

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lebara-15gb-data-for-ps149-for-first-six-months-at-mse-lebara-4043967

Also had WiFi calling, also 5g, 42 country roaming. They've never complained about coverage, speed or service and I genuinely can't fathom how some of those operators can afford to sell it for that. 

Theres still some really really good offers on it

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only/lebara/

i'm a big lebara advocating, worked well for me last year at glasto and its dirt cheap

I've recently changed provider from Virgin to Tesco Mobile on my iPhone, is it relatively easy for me to pick up a sim card and put it in for just the festival, and then go back to my current plan with Tesco? I'm not great with this sort of tech stuff😂

9 minutes ago, stanh said:

I've recently changed provider from Virgin to Tesco Mobile on my iPhone, is it relatively easy for me to pick up a sim card and put it in for just the festival, and then go back to my current plan with Tesco? I'm not great with this sort of tech stuff😂

If it’s a recent iPhone it operates with 2 sims … one a physical and one esim … which work by scanning a qr code I think but should be pretty simple 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

If it’s a recent iPhone it operates with 2 sims … one a physical and one esim … which work by scanning a qr code I think but should be pretty simple 

Oh sweet, cheers! Didn't realise it was that easy. 

3 minutes ago, Jack The Stripper said:

Dual SIM on iPhone can be a faff if it’s temporary. If your phone is unlocked, which it likely is if it’s under a couple of years old, you can just switch the SIM over for the weekend, then back when you get home.

Mine I have ee setup as main and 02 as secondary … I can switch between them in settings or run both … my o2 / gif gaff will get switched and I’ll run vodaphone as an esim 

25 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

My phone will take two sim cards, I'm on EE. 

If I stuff a Vodaphone sim card into it, will any Vodaphone use be on another number or can it stay on the primary sim number? 

If you put another sim into the spare slot youll get a new number with that sim and whatever allowance is included for that new sim - I think......

iam going to do this aswell and thats what I expect to happen

Edited by gazzared

6 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

My phone will take two sim cards, I'm on EE. 

If I stuff a Vodaphone sim card into it, will any Vodaphone use be on another number or can it stay on the primary sim number? 

In the phone settings, you can choose defaults for outgoing stuff - so for example set it so that voice calls use sim 1, texts use sim 1, data uses sim 2. And obviously change those up as needed.

In terms of incoming stuff, both sim cards / numbers will be live simultaneously.

2 hours ago, deschwah said:

Crew had massive comms issues last year

wouldn't if they used EE, ee was fantastic last year acessible all the time from everywhere i went on site.