It started with a stick 2.0

Sawdusty surfer

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

* I actually got an 'O' Level grade result of 'U' in woodwork. For those not familiar with the 'O' Level rating system, a 'U' stands for 'Unclassified'. Essentially that translates at being as thick as a plank (excuse pun), and possibly needing a bib, if anything woodwork is asked of me!

When does a plank become a beam?

I wasn't allowed to do either woodwork or art at school so didn't even manage to achieve a 'U' in the respective O Levels. I suspect that it may be because I wasn't prepared to be compliant in doing them in their 'correct' way. 

I can't remember the name of the art teacher but did email Fr Richard ffield OSB, the carpentry teacher, quite a few years ago to show him what I was up to. He remembered me well as be did teach me to sail. He was a good bloke, unlike many of his brethren. 

Having done a small amount of timber framing (I'm absolutely no expert), I suspect that a plank is a filling in bit, much wider than it is thick and a beam is there to support something. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

One of my friends said that at his school they used to throw the chisels up into the air towards the class ceiling, which may have been a suspended tile ceiling. I say this as the object of their chisel throwing mission was to get the chisels to stick into the ceiling product. he said there were loads of chisels stuck in the ceiling, and that every now and again one would come lose and fall down into the classroom. So their woodwork lessons were a little like playing Russian Roulette! 

17 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I wasn't allowed to do either woodwork or art at school so didn't even manage to achieve a 'U' in the respective O Levels. I suspect that it may be because I wasn't prepared to be compliant in doing them in their 'correct' way. 

To be fair, they probably weren't keen on the chainsaw

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Any progress @Sawdusty surfer

Actually yes. Cut first two sticks to length today and placed them upright ready to start work. Leaving the third in case the second largest one doesn't work. The smallest will work as I've done it before. Would be a massive waste to start on a stick as big as number three without proof of concept on two. Having said that, even if two works, three may not!

Just popped out to take a pic as I've only just seen your post. Sorry for the awful image quality. It's dark ATM.

IMG_20230327_213951.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Actually yes. Cut first two sticks to length today and placed them upright ready to start work. Leaving the third in case the second largest one doesn't work. The smallest will work as I've done it before. Would be a massive waste to start on a stick as big as number three without proof of concept on two. Having said that, even if two works, three may not!

Just popped out to take a pic as I've only just seen your post. Sorry for the awful image quality. It's dark ATM.

IMG_20230327_213951.jpg

The mystery deepens, even more. 

I haven't done a stroke on my 'piggy back' project. However, my neighbour actually gave me a chop saw today. I was surprised at this because he's a builder and thought he'd be using it often. It would appear that it works fine, but he just can't stand the sight of it. I didn't question any further. Anyway, it may (or may not) prove to be useful for the project. I've never used one, and it looks a bit scary, so will have to get him to show me the ropes with it. He has my chainsaw, which someone else gave me. I am far too scared to use that. In fact, now I've gone and got myself scared of the chop saw. I'm a bag of nerves tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I haven't done a stroke on my 'piggy back' project. However, my neighbour actually gave me a chop saw today. I was surprised at this because he's a builder and thought he'd be using it often. It would appear that it works fine, but he just can't stand the sight of it. I didn't question any further. Anyway, it may (or may not) prove to be useful for the project. I've never used one, and it looks a bit scary, so will have to get him to show me the ropes with it. He has my chainsaw, which someone else gave me. I am far too scared to use that. In fact, now I've gone and got myself scared of the chop saw. I'm a bag of nerves tonight. 

Mate, I'm with you there. Never used a chopsaw, wouldn't know which end to hold. Got a big hand held circular saw which I've had to use a few times. Fucking hate it. It feels... Well, just dangerous. Guess it's just what one's used to. Got a big router as well. Awful thing. Properly gives me the willies. Had it for years and maybe used it ten times. Probably should go on a course or something. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Better that than a bag of bits...

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Mate, I'm with you there. Never used a chopsaw, wouldn't know which end to hold. Got a big hand held circular saw which I've had to use a few times. Fucking hate it. It feels... Well, just dangerous. Guess it's just what one's used to. Got a big router as well. Awful thing. Properly gives me the willies. Had it for years and maybe used it ten times. Probably should go on a course or something. 

man alive.....

Chainsaw has never come out of the box and last week i bought a circular saw...

Now the flippin woodworking club tell me they cant use the things...because they are too dangerous 🙄

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

man alive.....

Chainsaw has never come out of the box and last week i bought a circular saw...

Now the flippin woodworking club tell me they cant use the things...because they are too dangerous 🙄

I have a circular saw too. And a small bench saw. And a biscuit joiner too. I haven't used any of them either. Oh, and I have a router too - yes, never used! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates. Been doing a bit, fitting it around my usual carving work. Made a fair bit of progress on #1 of three but still a way to go on it. 

This approach really won't do. #2 and #3 will each require considerably more work then each previous one so if I have any hope at all of getting everything finished in time I'm going to have to really pull my finger out and sideline my regular stuff. #2 and #3 haven't been done before. It will be a little embarrassing if they don't work for a reason that will probably become apparent. 

Will post a pic or two of progress of #1 tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Sorry about the lack of updates. Been doing a bit, fitting it around my usual carving work. Made a fair bit of progress on #1 of three but still a way to go on it. 

This approach really won't do. #2 and #3 will each require considerably more work then each previous one so if I have any hope at all of getting everything finished in time I'm going to have to really pull my finger out and sideline my regular stuff. #2 and #3 haven't been done before. It will be a little embarrassing if they don't work for a reason that will probably become apparent. 

Will post a pic or two of progress of #1 tomorrow. 

According to IKEA #2 should only take 2 people 4 hours 👍🤣

IMG_20230517_224145.jpg

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Oh, and I've recently bought a new bit of kit. Quite specialized, had to import it from Germany. I've fitted it to one of my very high revving saws. Only had a couple of quick plays with it so far, but hopefully it will speed up the creation of large concaves. It is very hungry for wood.

IMG-20230502-WA0019.jpg

I've gone a little adrift with my own woodwork project. By 'adrift' I mean that no wood has been involved in my latest 'creation'

IMG_2292.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

#1 getting close to completion.

#2 and #3 currently just sticks and are a development of the concept of #1. Never been done before. 

If you've ever had an idea that seems stupid but thought fuck it, going to give it a go...well that kind of sums it up. If #2 doesn't work then it's pointless even attempting #3 as it's stretching the #2 idea.

Going to get properly stuck in in the next couple of days so hopefully will update progress here. 

A couple of pics of #1. Needs another 15 or 20 hours I think.

Don't actually know if they will work but going to be finding out very soon

IMG_20230521_215536.jpg

IMG_20230521_215622.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:47 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Oh, and I've recently bought a new bit of kit. Quite specialized, had to import it from Germany. I've fitted it to one of my very high revving saws. Only had a couple of quick plays with it so far, but hopefully it will speed up the creation of large concaves. It is very hungry for wood.

IMG-20230502-WA0019.jpg

For more detailed stuff have you ever tried using a carbide disk on an angle grinder? I’ve done a lot of lovely carvings that way, eats through wood if you let it, but incredibly easy to control.