Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

20 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Everything Everything were amazing there a few years ago. A real glasto moment for me 

I was there and caught Spector after (or before?) as well. Great times and will miss it if it's completely gone!

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Williams Green was a good place to chill out I thought when the main stages were on, have a beer, have some food and then go and get back in the thick of it.

I think a lot of people used the general area for that but didn't necessarily venture in to the tent to watch the bands.

I will definitely miss WGs but I can cope with it going if the acts it would normally book are able to play on alternative stages.

16 minutes ago, august1 said:

I seen a comment saying why is a music festival replacing a music stage so someone can have a mess around with some cars. No way would the festival allow a newbie to come up with the idea but an old long standing friend of the festival gets away with it..

Don't agree entirely but not far off 

Its not just a music festival though is it. Its a festival of contemporary arts so that encompasses dicking about with cars as well.

27 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I was wondering if they might move Arcadia to where Cinermarmageddon (or however you spell it) was to get rid of the bottleneck at the bottom of The Park

Would that put it too close to any local villages though? I thought that was why there was minimal stuff to the West?

I've seen some good bands in this tent over the years, including during the main Fri-Sun days - Gaz Coombes, Girlray, Boy Azooga, Van Goffey, Jimbob after watching JayZ - although was that Leftfield back then? Some great Thurs eve sets as well including EE as mentioned above, and the Levellers were great - 2008?...Leftfield then perhaps...?

There were major issues on Thursdays around there - think we struggled to get into Deptford Northern Soul Club one year! One gripe I did have was inside, the stage was on the side of the tent rather than the end - therefore always felt difficult to get a great spot as the posts or mixing desk seemed to be in the way!

Interested to see what they do with the area - interesting points above and hope it is somewhere you want to revisit - will definitely be passing the area more than once each day....

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I hope some of the food stalls are still there - it was a great place to nip to get some food when the Pyramid was busy

When it first started it was pitched as a bit of a food festival and had some, for the time, unique food traders. Maybe try and recreate that in the new John Peel area, with a WG replacement tent for smaller acts. Make a destination…. 

If the problem with WG was the Thursday overcrowding then providing alternatives in other bars and areas might alleviate it especially if well publicised. I do get the idea of car henge, a homage to the counterculture that was a cornerstone of the early days of the festival. WG is great for just wandering about,  enjoying the walkabout characters, grabbing some food and just chilling out. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

A lot of the people who like WG and those who think it needs an overhaul are actually on opposite sides of the same coin, I feel. Both agree the crowds are not big enough/the band's would get lost on bigger stages.

Isn't the ideal thing to save money on an area that's not delivering and have those bands maybe on a smaller tent, somewhere else?

I still feel like Woodsies will be bigger than just the Woodsies tent and the Woods, so maybe there.

Due to the location, I don’t think they’d have a stage over there with amplified music on Thursday.

52 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I might be making this up but I'm sure I heard something about creating more capacity in the Pyramid field by cutting back Row Mead - I wonder if this could be offset by more camping space where Cineremageddon was?

seems like the cinema is going to be camping .... 

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

I might be making this up but I'm sure I heard something about creating more capacity in the Pyramid field by cutting back Row Mead - I wonder if this could be offset by more camping space where Cineremageddon was?

Those at the back will need binoculars to be able to see the stage

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Those at the back will need binoculars to be able to see the stage

Or BBC iPlayer on their phones 🙂 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Someone on our crew watched Macca on iPlayer in his caravan in the Dragon Field.

A couple I know that take their kids have one night out each (fri to sun) and on the other night they both go back to their camper with their kids and watch the coverage together!  Seems fair enough to me but I don't have kids! 🙂 

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

A couple I know that take their kids have one night out each (fri to sun) and on the other night they both go back to their camper with their kids and watch the coverage together!  Seems fair enough to me but I don't have kids! 🙂 

On the Saturday2014 early evening I arranged to watch the manics and then the pixies with some friends who were camped near me….I walked to their camp en route and found them lying in their tent watching a World Cup match on an iPad 😂

I would say that the atmosphere is what it is because of the added effort Glastonbury makes with art installations, decorations, flags, it's part and parcel of the festival, as well as the great/eclectic line-up. Take one or the other away and the festival would lose half it's charm.

Which makes me think that the people at Glasto HQ aren't just going to pile up a bunch of cars and leave it at that, there must be something else going on, surely they're not that short-sighted to think a giant Car Henge with no music or entertainment would please the thousands who congregated in WG in the past.

Let's give them some credit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This absolutely reeks of a budget cutting exercise. Get rid of the cost of:

- hiring a large cinema screen

- the rights money to show the films 

- hiring a tent/stage/sound desk/PA

- 4 days of acts/DJ’s booked and the crew

Then pile the cars you already have into an “art installation” to fill the gap.  It may be necessary but in all honesty it’s pretty disappointing.

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

It may be necessary but in all honesty it’s pretty disappointing.

Could be great, depends what they do with the "pound shop carhenge"

Really they should have put it in Unfairground, got hold of Wango Rilley's traveling stage and booked a load of old school festival staples.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This absolutely reeks of a budget cutting exercise. Get rid of the cost of:

- hiring a large cinema screen

- the rights money to show the films 

- hiring a tent/stage/sound desk/PA

- 4 days of acts/DJ’s booked and the crew

Then pile the cars you already have into an “art installation” to fill the gap.  It may be necessary but in all honesty it’s pretty disappointing.

If budgets are the reason it’s still Slightly less disappointing than scrapping the lot.

Edited by Yeo-vile idiot