Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

It does feel like more and more people are arriving on Wednesday, and by Thursday evening it seems like virtually everyone is there. In that context, it's almost impossible to handle 80-90% of the festival's capacity watching acts when at least five of the largest stages aren't available due to licensing. You will end up with severe congestion in at least one location, and probably several. The two obvious solutions would either be to limit early arrivals or extend the depth of Thursday schedules in terms of the number of stages and popularity of the acts. Doing neither, which seems to be what's happening, just leaves you in a cycle of removing problematic stages and forcing the issue to reoccur somewhere else next year.

• Upvote 1

That's all totally true.

But as a punter you have a choice as well, which basically amounts to twiggging where the busy areas are likely to be and giving them a swerve.

Last year some of my group were set on seeing Camelphat on the Thursday night. I did the 'I wouldn't' bit and then left them to it. I stayed and watched Nova Twins and Pongo on the Truth Stage - both of which were pleasantly busy vibes but still roomy enough - and watched second hand on WhatsApp as they got engulfed in a shitshow.

1 hour ago, FrankieX said:

It does feel like more and more people are arriving on Wednesday, and by Thursday evening it seems like virtually everyone is there. In that context, it's almost impossible to handle 80-90% of the festival's capacity watching acts when at least five of the largest stages aren't available due to licensing. You will end up with severe congestion in at least one location, and probably several. The two obvious solutions would either be to limit early arrivals or extend the depth of Thursday schedules in terms of the number of stages and popularity of the acts. Doing neither, which seems to be what's happening, just leaves you in a cycle of removing problematic stages and forcing the issue to reoccur somewhere else next year.

On Wednesday and Thursday it’s just a matter of sussing out which areas are rammed and best avoided. There’s always something to be discovered, plenty bars open, traders and it’s the ideal time to just wander. A stroll up to Strummerville is one place we always try and visit. 

3 hours ago, sedra said:

1984 and 1986 ( the red one) 

613079EF-E733-43CF-BF0F-92EA6A6AA6C1.jpeg

F7D249C6-168C-44CD-B39F-28E6F873022C.jpeg

It's funny, those maps are tiny compared to the modern festival, but in reality, the 1986 festival was objectively huge. Compare that to, say Park Life or Blue Dot, which although they're not exactly big festivals, they are actual festivals and Glastonbury in the 80s was already absolutely massive in comparison.

12 hours ago, FrankieX said:

The early arrivals were originally allowed to spread the arrival traffic out over 3 days instead of everyone arriving at the same time.

Even with a much smaller capacity back in the 90’s you used to have hours stuck in traffic as everyone used to try to arrive for the gates opening. It used to be absolute carnage. 

Like many others have said most people used to pitch their tent and build a fire and chill in the campsites. Without wanting to sound like an old fossil we could make our own entertainment given copious amounts of booze and pharmaceuticals. 

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all totally true.

But as a punter you have a choice as well, which basically amounts to twiggging where the busy areas are likely to be and giving them a swerve.

Last year some of my group were set on seeing Camelphat on the Thursday night. I did the 'I wouldn't' bit and then left them to it. I stayed and watched Nova Twins and Pongo on the Truth Stage - both of which were pleasantly busy vibes but still roomy enough - and watched second hand on WhatsApp as they got engulfed in a shitshow.

We went to watch Nova Twins too and spent a few hours wandering around the SEC, it was great as there was plenty going on but nowhere was totally rammed so we actually got to see stuff properly.

17 minutes ago, Franky said:

Gotta have something going on Wed and Thu?

I think you'll see more music and entertainment that's not on a schedule or published anywhere. 

Like last year, Arcadia's bug playing in The Gas Tower on Weds night, side venues in The Common with DJ's playing etc. 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

I think you'll see more music and entertainment that's not on a schedule or published anywhere. 

Like last year, Arcadia's bug playing in The Gas Tower on Weds night, side venues in The Common with DJ's playing etc. 

This bugs me immensely. I try and listen to every act playing through the five days, and not publishing the schedules for Wednesday means that I'm unable to do this for smaller acts on the day when there's least chance of clashes leading me elsewhere. Which is admittedly the point, to prevent overcrowding, but still incredibly annoying. I normally spend Wednesday (and a lot of Thursday) in the Green Futures fields, where most of the stages are open. Only the two cinemas (Cinarmageddon and Pilton Palais) were actually included in the official Glastonbury timetables for Wednesday, but I definitely saw acts at Small World, Toad Hall, Mandala and the Croissant Neuf Bandstand last year.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That JP get thing is a worry .... wonder what Glastonbury would do ..... are there any tents of similar size available in the Uk ? 

Wish I'd read this post earlier. I've just been talking to Michael and Emily (not much more than pleasantries) so I could have asked them.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That JP get thing is a worry .... wonder what Glastonbury would do ..... are there any tents of similar size available in the Uk ? 

There are other suppliers and it wouldn't be the first time that company has had a name change 😉

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It shouldn't be a worry.

It's difficult to say exactly what is and isn't out there because we won't know what else may be tied up elsewhere, but most of the large big top suppliers in the UK use modular systems that can scale to that kind of size (or bigger)

Even if the company goes down, chances are that the assets would be bought - either by a competitor, or it wouldn't be a surprise if it was the same owner via a pre-pack administration.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:09 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all totally true.

That’s one thing I took from last year’s festival - that strategy is important. For example, getting somewhere earlier than you normally would if you want a good position. Or thinking of different ways of enjoying something (for example, watching the fireworks from the Arcadia field, or buying food at off-peak times). 

I’m expecting it to be just as crazy this year, numbers wise, and for the masses to congregate in similar ways. Just got to get a bit smart about it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That’s one thing I took from last year’s festival - that strategy is important. For example, getting somewhere earlier than you normally would if you want a good position. Or thinking of different ways of enjoying something (for example, watching the fireworks from the Arcadia field, or buying food at off-peak times). 

I’m expecting it to be just as crazy this year, numbers wise, and for the masses to congregate in similar ways. Just got to get a bit smart about it. 

I'm hoping for major changes to the Arcadia/Park walkways in the site so that they remove the conflicting traffic. I think that was the actual worst bit last year. If that's fixed then I'm hoping the worst of the issues will be resolved.

Food wise I agree, in 2019 I skipped a sub to get food before a headliner. Need to do that again.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm hoping for major changes to the Arcadia/Park walkways in the site so that they remove the conflicting traffic. I think that was the actual worst bit last year. If that's fixed then I'm hoping the worst of the issues will be resolved.

Food wise I agree, in 2019 I skipped a sub to get food before a headliner. Need to do that again.

i cant quite work out where the Arcadia issues happened ... a friend camped nearby had to stop people trampling her tent .... when I went there the approaches seemed quite free flowing 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

i cant quite work out where the Arcadia issues happened ... a friend camped nearby had to stop people trampling her tent .... when I went there the approaches seemed quite free flowing 

I've camped in that area since 2015...was the first year I've seen real problems, I can only put it down to all those extra people that weren't actually on site....! 😉