Other Opener 2023

Superscally

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I can't say with certainty but I'm confident we knew about The Vaccines in advance? I'm sure I remember discussing them on here. May be wrong though!

We definitely knew about them before the festival itself, but I’m not sure if we knew they were doing the Other opener slot before we got the full lineup, which will probably be the case with whoever does it this year too outside of something leaking. 

Yeah I’m sure The Vaccines were announced as the opener early on as I made my over there about 11:00 to get a good spot.  Got on the barrier next to a guy who had the brightest Hawaiian shirt I’d ever seen and we got leathered on his homemade rum punch - it was an awesome start to festival 

Shed Seven would be incredible as I’m hoping Suede pop up elsewhere as their new album is banging 

Yeah don’t think they’ve kept it a secret for a couple of years now right? The Charlatans did a shit job of keeping their set a secret in ‘15 and then James were on the first poster in ‘16, and I think they’ve all been announced on the full lineup since unless I’m totally misremembering. 

12 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2018/lowther-deer-park-penrith-england-7beb2ea0.html this one was a bit of a tough one for the first 20 minutes or so!! Think they were pissed off they had to play before Catfish and the Bottlemen after headlining the festival 3 years earlier

Opening with one of their best songs mind.

Didn't, "The Other Opener on The Friday", used to be a bit of a surprise occasionally?

There's a named opener, but then get there, and there's a surprise, earlier opener? That The BBC are never up early enough to film?

Or is it that Auntie Beeb never film any of The Other Openers on The Friday?  Because they're too lazy or partied out on The Thursday. Or both?

Hence there's no evidence that this is true.

Or not.

I'm sure I had a point here.

The Hives and Beady Eye spring to mind.

___

Loving the era of the bands suggested. My kind of age group.

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Didn't, "The Other Opener on The Friday", used to be a bit of a surprise occasionally?

There's a named opener, but then get there, and there's a surprise, earlier opener? That The BBC are never up early enough to film?

Or is it that Auntie Beeb never film any of The Other Openers on The Friday?  Because they're too lazy or partied out on The Thursday. Or both?

Or not.

___

When will The Hives be back?  They were absolutely ace that day and one of the best sets of the weekend for me.  Perfect antidote to Beady Eye, who were/are dogshit.

5 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Got to be fairly likely this year given they're touring with Arctics

Let's hope so.  TBH, I think AM choosing The Hives as support is a massive own goal.  The stellar drop in energy levels from the support act to the main event can only disappoint, surely?

6 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Let's hope so.  TBH, I think AM choosing The Hives as support is a massive own goal.  The stellar drop in energy levels from the support act to the main event can only disappoint, surely?

I saw the Hives support ACDC and there was an energy drop even there!!

10 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Or not.

___

The BBC don't tend to film anything (on any of the "big 5" stages), until about 2pm in any case.  That also included Vampire Weekend opening The Park on the Saturday in 2019.

The Other Stage opener being a surprise act only actually happened twice:
2013: Beady Eye
2014: Kaiser Chiefs

Can't think why they stopped it 🤨

Since then the act has been announced:
2015: The Charlatans
2016: James
2017: The Pretenders
2019: The Vaccines
2022: The Libertines

Back before these heady days, 2011 was opened by Chipmunk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

The Other Stage opener being a surprise act only actually happened twice:
2013: Beady Eye
2014: Kaiser Chiefs

Can't think why they stopped it 🤨

Since then the act has been announced:
2015: The Charlatans
2016: James
2017: The Pretenders
2019: The Vaccines
2022: The Libertines

Back before these heady days, 2011 was opened by Chipmunk

Bloc Party, Suede and Manics all fit the mould 

33 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Bloc Party, Suede and Manics all fit the mould 

Bloc Party would be perfect. I'm still surprised they weren't featured on the poster, seemed to line up nicely for them this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

Bloc Party would be perfect. I'm still surprised they weren't featured on the poster, seemed to line up nicely for them this year.

I'd love it to be them, Silent Alarm is one of my all time fave albums.