What does your first hour at Glastonbury look like?

Jacko45

17 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

I am interested by this talk of "air tents".

i had actually been looking at them recently (i'm forever getting suckered in by all the go outdoors etc emails)

but my concern would be how do they hold up at Glastonbury (as opposed to a nice calm family camping trip).

after the 100th mashed passer by has fallen into your tent you maybe unlucky enough to have a bent tent-pole or something to deal with in a normal tent, but what happens if the air part of the air tent get damaged?

are they really robust?

genuinely interested to know as, like i say, i have been having a look at them.

Its robust as. I think the weight of them makes em a bit more stable in high winds etc as well, they keep their shape really well. Nobody has farted around with my erected air poles as of yet, but its a 1 min job attaching the pump and re-erecting them - and there is a repair kit if it does happen to somehow spring a leak. Theyre extra thick and sort of gummed, the air poles, so i dont anticipate them leaking any time soon - mine is about four years old now and has been used for well over a month - probably six weeks - in total, without a single problem.

i really cant recommend them higher, theyre so good for so many reasons - the blackout, the ease of erection, the oversized bag to roll them back up into, literally the only possible issue is  with the weight and if you've a semi decent trolley then youre golden. i park only a couple of hundred yards from the campsite so its just not a problem for me - if i had to lug it onsite then it might get a bit wearing, but i think id stick it over my shoulders or repack it into a little backpack, and just crack on. 

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Parking up the CV Tuesday morning, then can’t resist a trip to the top of the Hill of Death, firstly to measure the distance we have to go to get to Gate C, but mainly to look over the festival site and just go ‘wow’, it never fails to get me, that first view. 

Yep 😊

11 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Parking up the CV Tuesday morning, then can’t resist a trip to the top of the Hill of Death, firstly to measure the distance we have to go to get to Gate C, but mainly to look over the festival site and just go ‘wow’, it never fails to get me, that first view. 

@Avalon_Fields This is abit off-topic, but just easier than starting a new thread lol. 

What facilities are in the campervan fields, I assume it places to ditch the Campervan waste?

27 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Saw you at the hill last year Tuesday afternoon/evening. Shouted over but you didn't hear me. Maybe catch you this year 😄 

12 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

@Avalon_Fields This is abit off-topic, but just easier than starting a new thread lol. 

What facilities are in the campervan fields, I assume it places to ditch the Campervan waste?

Yes. There’s water pipes, waste disposal and some toilets. There’s a couple of food and drink vans near the Hill of Death, that’s all I think. 

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Park up, head to recycling wristbanding, encounter a Bit of a Queue, help random people in wrong queue. Stagger through gate, reach Tom's Field. Watch husband put up tent after brief rowette about perfect site. Get out the chairs. Have a sit down with a cold coke from the crew bar (if sunny). Make tea in crew tent (if rainy).

Very similar to me but will be solo.  

After registering etc. up to Tom's Field.  Decide what is good spot to camp- balance between being handy for loos/ crew catering but not so close you hear the banging of long drop doors.  Put tent up- like @Crazyfool01I have an inflatable tent so easy job.  Crack open beer whilst unpacking.  Then off for a wander to see if I bump into anyone I know.

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

I am interested by this talk of "air tents".

i had actually been looking at them recently (i'm forever getting suckered in by all the go outdoors etc emails)

but my concern would be how do they hold up at Glastonbury (as opposed to a nice calm family camping trip).

after the 100th mashed passer by has fallen into your tent you maybe unlucky enough to have a bent tent-pole or something to deal with in a normal tent, but what happens if the air part of the air tent get damaged?

are they really robust?

genuinely interested to know as, like i say, i have been having a look at them.

I love mine, to be fair I haven't actually used it at a festival, but the air poles are really solid. 

I think they would hold up better than a tent pole if someone fell into it, probably a bit more give than if they bend a pole the wrong way

As others have said, that solidness comes at a price of being fairly hefty which surprised me as well

1 hour ago, dondo said:

Very similar to me but will be solo.  

After registering etc. up to Tom's Field.  Decide what is good spot to camp- balance between being handy for loos/ crew catering but not so close you hear the banging of long drop doors.  Put tent up- like @Crazyfool01I have an inflatable tent so easy job.  Crack open beer whilst unpacking.  Then off for a wander to see if I bump into anyone I know.

I'm going much earlier this year if you're around for a drink.

4 hours ago, rwoo said:

What’s it like putting it down though? I’ve got a blackout three man so not too big, the blackout bit is essential these days. It’s normally the carrying everything in heat/rain that gets me in the tantrum 😂 

I admit the packing of said tent was stressful the first time way back in 2009 but I always make sure to watch a YouTube vid to refresh the memory and practice in the garden when I clean and air it out. But now I'd never go back to a "normal" one.

13 hours ago, rwoo said:

Definitely echo the mini tantrum feels. But when the tents up and the first cider is cracked then that all goes. I’ll generally sit down at the camp, roll a zoot, crack a can of cider and have a chat with the gang around who we’re looking forward to seeing. Can almost taste the cider already!! 

Ahhhhh the old "Zoot" 😂

Numero Uno 💯

9:30 coach from Bristol usually sees me clear Gate A by 12:00, then fast walk down to Pylon, pitch tent.  Grab a few tins and make my way through SH, The Other Stage and up through the park to the Glastonbury sign.  Take loads of photos of the same view I’ve taken for years and just chill out for a few hours watching the site fill up. 

Arrive Sticklinch/Worthy View Thursday mid-morning, well rested and relaxed. Walk the 500m from the car park to my tent, set my sleeping bag and mat out. Go fetch the beer from the car, hopefully meet one of the guys with the barrows to help carry it. Walk into site to have a look around.

• Upvote 1