Avalon 2023

stuie

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

That is genuinely a tricky one now.  Get the feeling VT would be amazing fun in an enclosed stage like Avalon.  I think GnR is going to be one of those ones where I'm undecided right up to the last minute.

As much as they are good live, I never listen to them apart from if they are on an upcoming festival, the music hasn't stuck with me. So yeah, you'd have a great time but I'm sure the opportunity to see them again will crop up. Whereas GnR, it could well be a car crash but it could be the last time to see them without shelling out wads of cash.

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Not able to message you directly, Far From Saints still listed as a strong rumour as well as a second listing with them confirmed for Avalon Cafe, should be Avalon Stage

Thanks I must do better,will fix in a bit.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

As much as they are good live, I never listen to them apart from if they are on an upcoming festival, the music hasn't stuck with me. So yeah, you'd have a great time but I'm sure the opportunity to see them again will crop up. Whereas GnR, it could well be a car crash but it could be the last time to see them without shelling out wads of cash.

Indeed.  At the moment I'm erring on the side of tagging along with you & (not so) Mini Gnom to get me some dirty rock n roll.

53 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

VT: They’re about a 5/10 for recorded music, 10/10 live. Also now in a quandary, I haven’t seen GNR before so I may have to. Are we sure VT will be headlining?

8 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

VT: They’re about a 5/10 for recorded music, 10/10 live. Also now in a quandary, I haven’t seen GNR before so I may have to. Are we sure VT will be headlining?

If they are it should be pretty easy to watch nearly the first hour of GnR and decide whether it's a car crash or not, Avalon headliner would start quite a bit later.  If they're subbing then I guess you need to decide whether you want to see VT and then the rest of GnR.  I know some people hate splitting themselves or seeing only part sets - I'm really up for seeing GnR but have massive doubts that I can take 2hrs of Axel's voice.

Edit: halvin currently has the clashfinder as Jake Shears into Mel C on Avalon Sat night

Edited by p.pete

25 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Bit harsh!  I'll admit that some of their album tracks are a bit derivative and don't linger in the memory too long but I'd go higher than that!

I was really hoping there'd be no bad clashes against GnR as I realistically can't pass up what will be my only chance to see them.  I know in my heart I'd have more fun watching VT in a tent than Axl screeching along and Slash's multiple 10 minute guitar solos.  If VT are headlining, it's a real toughie.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Not certain, as it's not been confirmed - but they did headline last time and I can't see why they'd have dropped or who would get the nod ahead of them.

Bear in mind that with the later curfew Avalon headliners start at about 11, so there'll be plenty of time to start with GnR and then take a decision. Assuming GnR arrive on stage approximately on time of course.

4 hours ago, p.pete said:

If they are it should be pretty easy to watch nearly the first hour of GnR and decide whether it's a car crash or not, Avalon headliner would start quite a bit later.  If they're subbing then I guess you need to decide whether you want to see VT and then the rest of GnR.  I know some people hate splitting themselves or seeing only part sets - I'm really up for seeing GnR but have massive doubts that I can take 2hrs of Axel's voice.

Edit: halvin currently has the clashfinder as Jake Shears into Mel C on Avalon Sat night

Just taking the opportunity to salute the legend that is @halvin

8 hours ago, p.pete said:

IEdit: halvin currently has the clashfinder as Jake Shears into Mel C on Avalon Sat night

To be clear: Anyone can edit the Glastonbury clashfinder at this point and it can be wildly inaccurate. Halvin typically steps in when the full schedule is announced at the end of May. The additions you mention were made by a user called goonerben, for example.

That said, it is based on social media posts by the two artists saying the day and (rough) time they are playing. We won't know how accurate it all is until the official timetable comes out.

9 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

That said, it is based on social media posts by the two artists saying the day and (rough) time they are playing. We won't know how accurate it all is until the official timetable comes out.

Albeit the person has put Jake Shears down at 9:30 (sub slot), when his Tweet said 8pm (3rd from top)

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Albeit the person has put Jake Shears down at 9:30 (sub slot), when his Tweet said 8pm (3rd from top)

Thus proving my point about accuracy. I don't think there's been any indication about the start time for Guns n Roses either. Basically, don't start worrying about clashes yet.

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Good advice. Half an hour of GnR is fine for me, then off to Avalon. 

Yes, we’ve been discussing that as well. See what GnR are like then move on elsewhere especially if there’s something we really want to see. The Avalon seems a safe bet but there might be others, as usual!  Mrs C won’t take much convincing but I love a bit of heavy rock, though prefer another band, AC/DC would be my pick  , 😉

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Any idea what day / time Gabriel Aplin is likely to get?  

It feels like she's been bouncing back and forth between Avalon & Acoustic for years now, but she actually managed to get to the Other stage in 2017 (Sat opener) and since her last appearance (2019, Acoustic mid-order) she's actually released two pretty decent albums...

Looking at her monthly spotify listens she seems to dwarf most others on the Avalon lineup (e.g. 2.3m vs Mel C's 900k).  Rubbish comparison, as most of Mel C's draw is for the couple of Spice Girls songs she might play, same with Jake Shears, and Elvana don't have much on spotify.  So any ideas very welcome 🙂 

21 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Any idea what day / time Gabriel Aplin is likely to get?  

It feels like she's been bouncing back and forth between Avalon & Acoustic for years now, but she actually managed to get to the Other stage in 2017 (Sat opener) and since her last appearance (2019, Acoustic mid-order) she's actually released two pretty decent albums...

Looking at her monthly spotify listens she seems to dwarf most others on the Avalon lineup (e.g. 2.3m vs Mel C's 900k).  Rubbish comparison, as most of Mel C's draw is for the couple of Spice Girls songs she might play, same with Jake Shears, and Elvana don't have much on spotify.  So any ideas very welcome 🙂 

She said on Instagram that she'll be on the Saturday - no idea what time though

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2023 at 6:42 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What exactly are you gonna do if they choose not to keep a low profile? Belittle them in the crowd? Fight them?

Tories should pop up the Green Fields Leftfield or Strummerville with their Conservative Party T Shirt on. It would be for the best so they can get the reception they richly deserve. 

I refuse to not deride and take the piss out of people who have presided over the destruction of this country for 13 years. It’s *precisely* because Glasto is about love and peace and society that they jar. They are more of an hate and war and everyone for themselves kind of party. Fuck them. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JudgeGrumpy said:

Tories should pop up the Green Fields Leftfield or Strummerville with their Conservative Party T Shirt on. It would be for the best so they can get the reception they richly deserve. 

I refuse to not deride and take the piss out of people who have presided over the destruction of this country for 13 years. It’s *precisely* because Glasto is about love and peace and society that they jar. They are more of an hate and war and everyone for themselves kind of party. Fuck them. 

I would love it if any visiting Tory voter headed up to Leftfield and listened to what's being said, but I would hope they are allowed to go there and not feel pressured or threatened or intimidated in any way. And also, I've been to Leftfield before, heard some discussions, and come away not agreeing with it all. Some of it's total bullshit if I'm honest, but I'm still mostly a Labour/Lib Dem voter. It's okay to disagree, that's why we live in a democracy. Heck, I watched Corbyn's speech before Run the Jewels back in 2017. It was awful populist crap. He had no self-awareness, especially when talking about Trump's plan to build a wall... at a music festival with a ruddy huge wall around it to keep out illegal entrants and criminals 🤣 And I told my friends this afterwards, I didn't care if anyone heard me, but what you're saying is that basically I should have kept my mouth shut and just nodded along like a good little drone?

People saying that Glasto "isn't a festival of peace and love, it's a Left-wing festival" or "Tories should keep their heads down" just boggles my mind. Basically saying "It's okay for us to hate."

And if it's okay for you to hate based on whatever you choose (and let's be clear, I'm not talking about extremists here like Nazis or Communists) then everyone else is allowed to hate too and then suddenly we're in anarchy because we've lost tolerance of others and we're all just hating one another for anything.

If Glasto isn't meant to be one of the most tolerant places, a place that cherishes peace, love, and the best of humanity, I'm stumped, because if we lose ourselves to hatred at Glasto, then the country really is fucked.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 3

Theres a big difference between what were fairly moderate tories say 20 years ago and what they are now since their massive lurch to the right and openly scapegoating asylum seekers, not to mention taking us out of the EU screwing youth opportunity and taking the country backwards. Then the absolute cronyism and stealing millions from the public purse throughout covid. None of this meets with the approval of even the most tolerant glastonbury goer. They have made us a laughing stock internationally and are a joke domestically so no, they dont deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone who would openly support them at this stage should be derided as such. 

i saw something quite funny the other day, liz truss is plotting her comeback apparently and someone said “Does nobody just go into exile anymore?”

For the record I dont think most people who vote tory are actually hate filled rather they just think they’ll get lower taxes and a “stronger economy” and are prepared to overlook the multitudes of complete cronyism and xenophobia when they vote for them.

End of the day if you can look yourself in the mirror and feel good about supporting the likes of priti patel and suella braverman then frankly i feel sorry for you, but not as sorry as i feel for genuine asylum seekers.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Theres a big difference between what were fairly moderate tories say 20 years ago and what they are now since their massive lurch to the right and openly scapegoating asylum seekers, not to mention taking us out of the EU screwing youth opportunity and taking the country backwards. Then the absolute cronyism and stealing millions from the public purse throughout covid. None of this meets with the approval of even the most tolerant glastonbury goer. They have made us a laughing stock internationally and are a joke domestically so no, they dont deserve the benefit of the doubt and anyone who would openly support them at this stage should be derided as such. 

i saw something quite funny the other day, liz truss is plotting her comeback apparently and someone said “Does nobody just go into exile anymore?”

For the record I dont think most people who vote tory are actually hate filled rather they just think they’ll get lower taxes and a “stronger economy” and are prepared to overlook the multitudes of complete cronyism and xenophobia when they vote for them.

Derided how? Like, openly jeered or have fish thrown at them? Get rid of Avalon and bring out the stocks?

And like I said before, I'm not defending any policies, I'm just trying to keep Glastonbury civil.

I mean, I'm an atheist, am I allowed to find anyone in the crowd who supports organised religions and have a go at them as well? Or start a chant "Fuck Catholics/Muslims/Jews?"

Like I said in an earlier post, if you're opening up to acceptable hate, then everyone's gonna start doing it and I think we should avoid that.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Derided how? Like, openly jeered or have fish thrown at them? Get rid of Avalon and bring out the stocks?

And like I said before, I'm not defending any policies, I'm just trying to keep Glastonbury civil.

I mean, I'm an atheist, am I allowed to find anyone in the crowd who supports organised religions and have a go at them as well? Or start a chant "Fuck Catholics/Muslims/Jews?"

Like I said in an earlier post, if you're opening up to accepted hate, then everyone's gonna start doing it and I think we should avoid that.

For me this debate is who hated first…. Tories hated first with their disgusting policies and behaviour. So “they started it” !! As childish as that is.

In reality no i am not going to be going round tory bashing at the festival but you’d think they’d have the good sense to keep quiet about their political views at the festival anyway, knowing its history.