Avalon 2023

stuie

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Politics isn't and shouldn't be about nailing your colours to a mast and hating the other side and always voting one way no matter what. Politics is malleable. It changes depending on the situation. There's nuance to it based on a changing set of variables.

I completely agree with this, however we have essentially ended up with a 2 party system so in reality, this isn’t practicable.

One of those parties prioritises wealth over the well-being of its citizens, demonises poor people and foreign people and is run by nepotistic millionaires. So fuck them and anyone who votes for them.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean no … but you need to go there on the understanding it’s the way the festival / it’s owners lean and if that’s uncomfortable there might be more suitable festivals out there that fit peoples ethos 

And I've got no problem with it being a clearly left-leaning festival. That's what I mean about the conflation of ideas in this thread. 

My point is that Glasto should hold all the discussions and debates it wants aimed at making society better, but if there are Tory voters there at the festival they shouldn't be made to feel intimidated in a field of screaming people that they should go away or "keep their heads down" etc.

• Upvote 4

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

I completely agree with this, however we have essentially ended up with a 2 party system so in reality, this isn’t practicable.

One of those parties prioritises wealth over the well-being of its citizens, demonises poor people and foreign people and is run by nepotistic millionaires. So fuck them and anyone who votes for them.

Yeah, there is that element to it. We're a 2-party country, perhaps 3 at best depending which way the wind is blowing.

But I would rather use intelligent and open dialogue with anyone I disagree with, than simply screaming epithets, which does two things:

a) makes everyone sound hateful; the opposite of which I thought Glasto should be about

b) doesn't help persuade anyone to their arguments/way of thinking

Relating it back to Avalon … if you go in that tent you will absolutely get that political message from that band …they could make the lyrics more soft but they get their message across in a very clear and concise manner . Now at any point on any stage you are very clearly going to get political messaging from the artists .just look at the damage the Tory’s have done and understand the reason people use those lyrics 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

And I've got no problem with it being a clearly left-leaning festival. That's what I mean about the conflation of ideas in this thread. 

My point is that Glasto should hold all the discussions and debates it wants aimed at making society better, but if there are Tory voters there at the festival they shouldn't be made to feel intimidated in a field of screaming people that they should go away or "keep their heads down" etc.

Broadly agree  Glastonbury by who it has speaking and its support for CND etc is political and left leaning but I don't see any need or desire for it to be in any way explicitly party political whereby people outside of that feel uncomfortable. There will be Tory voters there, I'd like them to have a nice time and I'm well to the left of any mainstream party, including what was Corbyn's Labour. 

43 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Relating it back to Avalon … if you go in that tent you will absolutely get that political message from that band …they could make the lyrics more soft but they get their message across in a very clear and concise manner . Now at any point on any stage you are very clearly going to get political messaging from the artists .just look at the damage the Tory’s have done and understand the reason people use those lyrics 

Absolutely. Music a fantastic way of getting across a message or a way of handling feelings. It also starts a conversation, which is a great starting point for progress.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Absolutely. Music a fantastic way of getting across a message or a way of handling feelings. It also starts a conversation, which is a great starting point for progress.

Are you confusing ‘fuck the Tories’ with ‘fuck anyone who voted Tory’? I reserve the right to hate the tories, who have fucked us beyond belief for the last 13 years. 

On Brexit referendum day, when bands and singers were all saying things about the result, should they not have said anything in case they made the leave voters in the crowd feel bad? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Making people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome isn't what Glasto should be about. And it's on them to not feel intimidated when they're in a crowd of thousands and everyone would shout at them if they admitted they voted Tory?

Saying that it's "on them", I mean, would you say the same if the BNP go up and scream "Go home" at immigrants?

Hate shouldn't have a home at Glastonbury.

People who vote for refugees to be treated like objects to be moved around? People who vote for our democracy to be weakened? People who siphon billions away from healthcare and pump it towards their mates? 

How about Nazis? Should we be cautious about offending them? If so Glasto has changed from a counter culture haven of free thinking into a vacuous love-in. 

We should probably have some of the stuff said in Leftfield cancelled too, I guess. 

Anyone who thinks Glasto is apolitical can’t ever have been. 

Even Tory MPs have changed their Twitter bios so you can’t tell they are Tory. Nobody would be offended by the chant because they’ve gone so far nobody admits it anymore. 

• Upvote 3

Imagine Glasto, but as right leaning as it's now left leaning.

Coachella, but 300 cash registers and no overseas acts, let alone spanish or korean speaking.

Wizkid headlining Rwanda stage.

Bag checks between every area.

Half of the Pyramid field fenced off for VIPs.

West Holts renamed to Barclays, Park to BP.

Exclusive camping for £20k in Big Ground and Oxlyers.

Dynamic pricing for tickets.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Are you confusing ‘fuck the Tories’ with ‘fuck anyone who voted Tory’? I reserve the right to hate the tories, who have fucked us beyond belief for the last 13 years. 

On Brexit referendum day, when bands and singers were all saying things about the result, should they not have said anything in case they made the leave voters in the crowd feel bad? 

Then you have misunderstood my point from the very beginning. I thought I'd made it clear...

I was replying to a different comment from someone else, who said that Tory supporters at Glasto need a reminder to keep their heads down/keep a low profile. I never had a problem with the song (I'm very pro free-speech and hate censoring art) or the fact its a left-leaning festival. I also said this to other users a couple of times now. I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Then you have misunderstood my point from the very beginning. I thought I'd made it clear...

I was replying to a different comment from someone else, who said that Tory supporters at Glasto need a reminder to keep their heads down/keep a low profile. I never had a problem with the song (I'm very pro free-speech and hate censoring art) or the fact its a left-leaning festival. I also said this to other users a couple of times now. I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick.

I just replied to where you quoted me. I think we’re essentially saying the same thing then. 

As I said, if someone feels bad because they voted Tory and they hear fuck the Tories, that’s on them.  Singling anyone out though is not cool, but I doubt anyone will be wearing their i heart Tories T-shirt tbh 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JudgeGrumpy said:

People who vote for refugees to be treated like objects to be moved around? People who vote for our democracy to be weakened? People who siphon billions away from healthcare and pump it towards their mates? 

How about Nazis? Should we be cautious about offending them? If so Glasto has changed from a counter culture haven of free thinking into a vacuous love-in. 

We should probably have some of the stuff said in Leftfield cancelled too, I guess. 

Anyone who thinks Glasto is apolitical can’t ever have been. 

Even Tory MPs have changed their Twitter bios so you can’t tell they are Tory. Nobody would be offended by the chant because they’ve gone so far nobody admits it anymore. 

Ummm, I'm not defending their policies, where in the actual Sam-hell have you gotten that idea?

But whether I like the Tories or not, I certainly don't support your comment that Tory voters at the festival need "reminders" that they should "keep a low profile."

What exactly are you gonna do if they choose not to keep a low profile? Belittle them in the crowd? Fight them? Chant something childish at them? Send them a snowflake meme?

Whatever form of intimidation you think fit, a) doesn't help the situation, b) won't change their views on how they vote, c) makes you out like a bully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, stuie said:

I just replied to where you quoted me. I think we’re essentially saying the same thing then. 

As I said, if someone feels bad because they voted Tory and they hear fuck the Tories, that’s on them.  Singling anyone out though is not cool, but I doubt anyone will be wearing their i heart Tories T-shirt tbh 

Yeah, I couldn't really care less about the song or the chant. I bet some Tories probably even liked the idea that they were present watching it all unfold and laughing internally at those who were chanting.

But where I think a chant expressing dislike at a political idea turns ugly is when people think that it should be used to silence or intimidate people into keeping a low profile. But I see we agree on that now 👍

• Upvote 1