Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

5 minutes ago, moogster said:

I am really wondering if not liking the merch is an unpopular opinion. Does anyone actually like the design?

I love me some merch.

I have never even considered buying the GF merch.

Make of that what you will.

26 minutes ago, moogster said:

I am really wondering if not liking the merch is an unpopular opinion. Does anyone actually like the design?

I've got quite a few, but it marks a highpoint of my year. 

Whether I'd enjoy it more with another design I can't say. 

6 hours ago, sadimmock said:

They also used to play the party tunes at number 11, so it was one of the relatively few places you could have a big old dance on a Thursday. Absolute dross now though. 

This plus the fact they used to sell Festival strength cider at 7% was the main draw in the 90s/early 2000s IMHO. Many folk going back as it’s their traditional meeting spot/first pint I think. 

They sent me 30 beer vouchers one year (2009) so I have a soft spot for them. The 2l bottle thing was a fiasco though. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Breeze said:

This plus the fact they used to sell Festival strength cider at 7% was the main draw in the 90s/early 2000s IMHO. Many folk going back as it’s their traditional meeting spot/first pint I think. 

They sent me 30 beer vouchers one year (2009) so I have a soft spot for them. The 2l bottle thing was a fiasco though. 

The disc tokens ? Had a few of them … how did you manage to get 30 though ? 

Most of the opinions so far are popular opinions on this forum. 

If I had someone setting up my tent for me and picking me up, I’d happily arrive Friday morning and leave Sunday night. Arriving Wednesday makes it far too long, especially in bad weather.

Stop making a fuss about straws and then covering yourself in plastic face gems, glitter, polyester mermaid leggings and a plastic flower crown.

Flags are fine, unless you’re in the front you can see bugger all anyway, and I’m 6’7.

Trolleys/ carts should be banned unless you have mobility issues, makes the queue take way longer than required, it’s a festival not a house move, it’s less effort to do a couple of pleasant trips to the car rather than one mega trip, getting in everyone’s way, wheel falls off, trolley is stuck in the mud. 

Children being carted around all day in the aforementioned carts are too young to be there and are in the way for 90% of the time. Go to a smaller festival

Wellies are better than walking boots, if it’s dry enough for boots you can get away with a decent pair of trainers. 

It’s way too big

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Most of the opinions so far are popular opinions on this forum. 

If I had someone setting up my tent for me and picking me up, I’d happily arrive Friday morning and leave Sunday night. Arriving Wednesday makes it far too long, especially in bad weather.

The Saturday before, which is when I arrive, is the best bit.

21 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Stop making a fuss about straws and then covering yourself in plastic face gems, glitter, polyester mermaid leggings and a plastic flower crown.

Flags are fine, unless you’re in the front you can see bugger all anyway, and I’m 6’7.

Agree with point one. Re point two, flags are only good for marking your tent.

23 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Trolleys/ carts should be banned unless you have mobility issues.

Again agree.

24 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Children being carted around all day in the aforementioned carts are too young to be there and are in the way for 90% of the time. Go to a smaller festival

Kind of agree, but some exceptions have to made. Some people there are just carrying on with their normal life and Glastonbury is a part of their work.

31 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Wellies are better than walking boots, if it’s dry enough for boots you can get away with a decent pair of trainers.

100% agree

31 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

It’s way too big

This is obvious. Increasing the capacity last year was a huge mistake.

Stop providing camper van/ caravan places and replace the space with more car parking.

I speak as someone who has attended every Glastonbury since 2003 and half of them in my van but in my (unpopular) opinion, camping outside the fence is a lesser experience and encourages too many old biffers to keep coming. The festival should be something you fully participate in rather than attend/observe. Whenever I've taken my tent in, and I last camped inside the fence in 2019, it's been a more immersive experience and I've contributed more to the place.

Go into the camper van fields and it feels more like a caravan club rally than a festival with neatly pegged awnings, gas barbecues, satellite tv dishes out and moaning oldies going to bed at 10pm. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, RedSZ said:

Go into the camper van fields and it feels more like a caravan club rally than a festival with neatly pegged awnings, gas barbecues, satellite tv dishes out and moaning oldies going to bed at 10pm. 

This is superb.

Well played!

I've never been in the CV fields, but have seen photos. It's looks like a holiday camp at Minehead. Generic white vans laid out in neat rows.

Re the "moaning oldies going to bed at 10pm.". You have to ask why they're even there.

9 minutes ago, RedSZ said:

The festival should be something you fully participate in rather than attend/observe. Whenever I've taken my tent in, and I last camped inside the fence in 2019, it's been a more immersive experience and I've contributed more to the place.

Agree here, saw a vlog of some people in a campervan at Bath and west Showground having to get a bus in and out every morning/night, totally dead campsite, made me cringe.

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

This argument will never die I appreciate but I have to disagree with this one.

2016 is the perfect example. Wellies were utterly shite, all over the site were just wellies stuck in the mud. Get some waterproof waling boots coupled with sealskinz socks and your footwear stays on your feet (and it's a lot easier to walk in) and your feet stay just as dry as the would in wellies.

I am aware there are about 1000 arguments for either side of this debate but I am firmly in the walking boots camp - having previously been team wellies.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, RedSZ said:

camping outside the fence is a lesser experience and encourages too many old biffers to keep coming. The festival should be something you fully participate in rather than attend/observe. Whenever I've taken my tent in, and I last camped inside the fence in 2019, it's been a more immersive experience and I've contributed more to the place.

/\ this

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Quark said:

It's quite a niche response, but I'll see that and raise you the old-school heavy cotton rugby jerseys that we played in back in my yoot. By the gods they gained some weight in the rain. @blutarsky might still fit in the bracket of remembering those things.

Horrible things! They got so heavy and made your nipples sore 😂😂

7 hours ago, JamieKThomas said:

I cant stand the people who attend the festival every single year without fail, yet spend most of their time moaning about "the good old days" and how the festival is shit today in comparison. Surprise surprise, going to the same place every year without fail gets a bit more boring. Rose tinted glasses are in full effect.

Also the overall branding and marketing of the festival is pretty terrible and could do with a massive overhaul - especially the website and the merch. 

Disagree.

If you like it still it really doesn’t! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

Horrible things! They got so heavy and made your nipples sore 😂😂

Our uni first team jerseys had double thickness shoulders stitched in, presumably because they made us look bigger. They weighed an absolute fucking ton.

1 hour ago, RedSZ said:

Stop providing camper van/ caravan places and replace the space with more car parking.

I speak as someone who has attended every Glastonbury since 2003 and half of them in my van but in my (unpopular) opinion, camping outside the fence is a lesser experience and encourages too many old biffers to keep coming. The festival should be something you fully participate in rather than attend/observe. Whenever I've taken my tent in, and I last camped inside the fence in 2019, it's been a more immersive experience and I've contributed more to the place.

Iam hoping the weather is good so I only need to take 1 solar panel to keep the leisure battery charged enough to power my tv if the forecast is cloudy I'll take 2 x 100watt panels but itll be a struggle fitting everything in my van...also it can be a bit distracting hearing the Pyramid crowd and then having a slight delay on my TV 😞

• Upvote 1