williams green ... carhenge

Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Opposite Williams Green is the Meeting Place Bar.  This is the first year (to my knowledge) it has appeared on the lineup.

There was always some DJs and stuff going on there, but looks like there's some recognisable names now.

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2023/?stage#themeetingplacebar

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I don't think your a dance music fan, apologies if wrong.

Cutting SH budget would have been lunacy. They would have reduced/got rid of one the late night alternatives to SE corner. What they have done in revamping SH is the correct decision.

You’ve absolutely proved the point incident was making 

Really feeling the loss of William's Green now when trying to sort out my plans for the weekend. Always had some interesting options for bands who were not "unsigned" or "introducing".

The main stages not being as good for me as usual compounding it!

Edited by briddj

On 5/30/2023 at 5:26 PM, mr mister said:

the Hive doesn't look like a replacment to me..

I mean, just look at who's played Williams Green recently..

Porridge Radio, Yard Act, Nilifur Yanya, HorseGirl, Jane Weaver, Mannequin Pussy, Amyl & The Sniffers, Black Midi, Fountaines DC, Shame, Jessica Hoop, Sorry.. 

this is in the last two years of the festival alone!

It was the go to for some of the most exciting bands of the moment.. supporting and showcasing them before a few of have inevitably exploded...

Major ball drop by getting rid of IMO. A bit of Glastonbury's edge and creditability going with it.   

Hard agree.

Ben

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

interesting .... wonder whats going in those mounts ? 🙂 would they fit upright cars ? 

Almost certainly for the cars going across the top of them. It looks interesting on those pics, bigger than I was expecting. 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Almost certainly for the cars going across the top of them. It looks interesting on those pics, bigger than I was expecting. 

I saw some horizontal ones on Thurs that were separate from the main ring that had the henge on them ... obviously documented now .... its really quite imposing when on site 

On 6/2/2023 at 6:07 PM, briddj said:

Really feeling the loss of William's Green now when trying to sort out my plans for the weekend. Always had some interesting options for bands who were not "unsigned" or "introducing".

The main stages not being as good for me as usual compounding it!

Can we have an efests meet where we all look sad infront of the cars 

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

theyve got buggar all credibility left if they dont exist .... hopefully Williams Green or something similar makes a return next year when the finances are better . unfortunately they wont ever win when they cut back areas .

How much do we think the car sculpture and foundations etc. cost?

Is there a huge difference between building that and having music at it to a tent with bands that people want to see?

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

IMG_3115.thumb.jpeg.9252794e76be8908faaceca3c4838df9.jpeg

I feel the same as I do when I visit Turner Contemporary or Tate Modern. 

I just don't get it.  I wish I did and I try to, but I don't. 

Upright cars?  Tracey Emin's bed?   What a load of old sh*t. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Because for me, SH and the SE corner are the same thing - and I have absolutely no interest in them.

There is no other late night alternative, something that Williams Green provided in the past.

Yet again I will repeat

There are plenty of late night alternatives. I really can't be bothered going through them. I'm sure there's a topic somewhere on here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

There is no other late night alternative, something that Williams Green provided in the past.

The Green Futures field might be worth a look. They have the Lizard stage, Mandala stage and Toad Hall which all usually go on until the early hours. Granted its a different vibe to WG but its a good alternative to the other late night areas.

2 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Because for me, SH and the SE corner are the same thing - and I have absolutely no interest in them.

We were in the same line of thinking. Have had a look around and there is other stuff. One evening last year we had a fun two pint stop off at the Ridge and Furrow, there were good tunes, I think something on the stage next door. Up in the Park there’s a Guilty Pleasures set at some point. Also the pub in the Theatre bit opposite the Astrolabe was playing pretty good stuff. It will be fine 🙂

Just now, Cream Soda said:

The Green Futures field might be worth a look. They have the Lizard stage, Mandala stage and Toad Hall which all usually go on until the early hours. Granted its a different vibe to WG but its a good alternative to the other late night areas.

Have also done a nice midnight to 3am slot in there a few festivals ago, take your own beers. Usually 3 Daft Monkeys and some other fun stuff happening.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I just don't get it.  I wish I did and I try to, but I don't. 

Neither do I and was there for the original.

They'll never recreate the original in terms of appearance, vibe or anything.

They missed a trick here. Put it in Unfairground (which needs a revamp) with a stage and bands.