If you didn't know stages......

Chrisp1986

How would you feel if you knew WHO was playing Glastonbury and on WHAT day but not the stage? Would you be happy to wait right up until the festival until you found out? Obviously not being able to figure out rough clashes or who you will see?

I don't mean even the exact stage times, just not knowing what stage?

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

How would you feel if you knew WHO was playing Glastonbury and on WHAT day but not the stage? Would you be happy to wait right up until the festival until you found out? Obviously not being able to figure out rough clashes or who you will see?

It would be even better if we knew nothing until arriving.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

How would you feel if you knew WHO was playing Glastonbury and on WHAT day but not the stage?

Conflicted.

On the one hand, it would be quite amazing to arrive at Glastonbury and only know who the headliners were and spend a day trying to plan the rest of the weekend / completely letting go and let the festival take you where it wants.

On the other, the obsessive side of me really needs to know what's on now, what's on later and what time I need to get there for.

Though I'm sure if it happened, I'd quite like it

I try to avoid knowing the lineup until after I know the shifts I’m working!

Theres nothing worse than building up an act then finding that they’re on when I’m working. 
There’s always plenty on that I can see. 

I love knowing as much as possible, as far ahead as possible - I am a "planner" so to speak.

That said, I do think there would be enormous value in announcing the "big 5" stages as late as possible in the runup.   If we knew all of the smaller stages now, people would be listening to acts they'd never heard of, even planning to go to see some of them - some of those people would stick with that plan, even once the bigger names were revealed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

It was horrible at Secret Garden Party. Do not recommend.

I'm on team Clashfinder and I have a system for finding new music, which I enjoy doing as each poster drops, reading these threads for names that keep cropping up too.

That being said, I'll only choose a few definites for each day, and depending on my mood and other variables, I'll happily wander around. 

But I still like knowing who's who, when, and where.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Absolute insanity.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nah, i enjoy the build up, planning, researching bands I not fully acquainted with, looking at clashfinders, checking current setlists, formulating a plan, having a back up plan

and then everything changing when we get there, and it’s always fantastic! 😊😉

This....

My first couple of years was a little like a military campaign, charging backwards and forwards across site... but that isnt sustainable..

Then a few years of maybe 3 acts a day that are 'must see' and then a bigger bunch of 'wouldnt mind' acts..

Now my knees are shot to pieces, this year I am hoping to find at least 1 day where i can stay within the Avalon/ Croissant Neuf/West Holts (and maybe) Acoustic axis.. (I am in CV East)

Regardless, I also enjoy the research and love the recommendations on here  

4 hours ago, MJP said:

It was horrible at Secret Garden Party. Do not recommend.

if thats last year wasn't that more due to all the issues lol

they did release it on the day anyway i thought?

I quite like the idea, preferably how Boomtown do it so a few days before the fest its announced

Sounds terrible.

Imagine turning up, thinking you're going to see, I dunno Radiohead* and The Flaming Lips that festival, only to find out at the last minute that you had to choose.

I'm all for a good bimble and following instincts and all that, but being told you can't see two of your favourite bands after all? Fuck that.

*Cue people saying they left Radiohead and saw the Lips because they were shit yada yada.

5 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I also like the build up and planning. Don't want to put loads of precious time into discovering album tracks by a band i like sound of to find they clash with another must see 

It's what Bearded Theory have decided to do this year.

They said today they were going to announce stage splits as soon as they can.  It's easier there anyway as there are fewer stages and it's so compact to get from one to another.