Buy tent on site

shaneymac77

Hi all, 

A couple in our group are travelling over from Oz... Yes, really... We're actually all travelling from abroad so bringing tents is a bit tricky esp long haul. Anyway, we asked the help email on the Glasto website if there will be camping equipment (incl tents) available to buy on the Glasto site itself - remembering in past years Cosy Campers were there but they weren't last year. 

Got a reply that there will be camping equipment to buy on the site but they can't disclose the name of the company. Not ideal as they want to prebook a tent rather than relying on buying one when they arrive in Pilton. 

Anyone know which company will be on site this year so I can contact them beforehand? 

23 minutes ago, shaneymac77 said:

Hi all, 

A couple in our group are travelling over from Oz... Yes, really... We're actually all travelling from abroad so bringing tents is a bit tricky esp long haul. Anyway, we asked the help email on the Glasto website if there will be camping equipment (incl tents) available to buy on the Glasto site itself - remembering in past years Cosy Campers were there but they weren't last year. 

Got a reply that there will be camping equipment to buy on the site but they can't disclose the name of the company. Not ideal as they want to prebook a tent rather than relying on buying one when they arrive in Pilton. 

Anyone know which company will be on site this year so I can contact them beforehand? 

There is a few, and they have plenty of stock, won't be a problem.

HOWEVER, if you were planning to take the tents back with you (or if the weather is looking grim) I strongly recommend you work out a way of buying one in the UK before the festival. As the tents they were selling looked more like beach shelters!!!

Not really answering your exact question, but I think they are lessening the amount of camping gear for sale on site to avoid things being left behind at the end.  The thinking being, if you can't carry it in, you won't carry it out.  But, that said, as I've never been in the market for camping gear so don't know for sure.

Thanks everyone... I agree that a low quality tent isn't the way to go esp if there's an odd thunderstorm. 

The rest of the group are bringing their own tents and so pre pitch option isn't really the way to go. 

I understand that the festival wants to avoid folk just buying stuff on site and then leaving it behind. I guess what we'd do is pack way the tent and donate it at the end rather than just leaving it. 

Anyway, was hoping to see the tent range that would be on sale beforehand rather than being disappointed on site... If anyone knows then would be great? 

4 minutes ago, shaneymac77 said:

Thanks everyone... I agree that a low quality tent isn't the way to go esp if there's an odd thunderstorm. 

The rest of the group are bringing their own tents and so pre pitch option isn't really the way to go. 

I understand that the festival wants to avoid folk just buying stuff on site and then leaving it behind. I guess what we'd do is pack way the tent and donate it at the end rather than just leaving it. 

Anyway, was hoping to see the tent range that would be on sale beforehand rather than being disappointed on site... If anyone knows then would be great? 

sadly there is no donation facility unless you can find someone onsite happy to take it from you 

4 minutes ago, shaneymac77 said:

Depending on which route you're coming to the festival, you could always stop at a Decathlon or Millets store on the way? 

Thanks for the ideas... The thing is that folk are getting in on flights then heading straight to the festival either v early in the morn or late at night. Trying to avoid the folks on the shorter haul flight having to carry an extra tent/s but looks like that may be the best option. 

27 minutes ago, shaneymac77 said:

Thanks for the ideas... The thing is that folk are getting in on flights then heading straight to the festival either v early in the morn or late at night. Trying to avoid the folks on the shorter haul flight having to carry an extra tent/s but looks like that may be the best option. 

How are you getting from the airport to the festival? 

As others have said, the amount of "big" stuff (tents, sleeping bags, etc) available to buy on site, seems to be reducing - presumably to reduce waste.  I also wouldn't want to rely on something definitely being available, or having any decent choice.

if you are getting a train from a London-area airport to the festival, you will most likely go through Reading.  You could do an online order for all you need, from Blacks or Decathlon (both of which have stores in Reading, within 10mins walk of the station) - and get them delivered for in store pickup.

@ shaneymac77 - You and your mates sound like your going the extra mile (literally!) to get to Glastonbury. Mind you, there's some barmy bloke up in Scotland trying to do a St. Patrick with snakes, in his efforts to get to the festival prepared, so you do have stiff competition. 

Just wondering, would it be 2 No two person tents that you would require? 

51 minutes ago, shaneymac77 said:

Thanks for your help again... It's a taxi from Bristol Airport via the back roads to Bath and West where get the shuttle bus... Alth taxi does stop in Tesco in Shepton Mallet for booze stockpile 

You could order a tent from decathlon and have it delivered to an asda and then also grab your booze  

1 hour ago, shaneymac77 said:

Thanks for your help again... It's a taxi from Bristol Airport via the back roads to Bath and West where get the shuttle bus... Alth taxi does stop in Tesco in Shepton Mallet for booze stockpile 

Right, looks like there's an Argos nextdoor to Shepton Mallet Tesco. Order for collection and you can do booze and tent run in one go. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/sports-and-leisure/camping-and-caravanning/tents/c:30505/

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 2

Instead of leaving your tent when finished, I will happily take it if still in good shape. The kids want one to have their friends sleep in the garden but I haven't wanted to shell out for one. Stick it in a lockup for us and we'll collect 👍🏼

So I bought one on site last year (my friend overbooked his large tent with too many of our friends)

Bought one on site for £40 and it did the job, think it was 4 man for myself. it would not have survived heavy rain though. There was pricier ones than that but I took my chances and it was fine thankfully.

Edited by Mark Greensmith

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:51 PM, shaneymac77 said:

They will be f**king shite single skin abominations. Don't do it. I don't blame anyone who chooses to burn them, the shop who sold them and their families homes, you'll hate your life that much by the end.

P.s. take the burning thing as a joke, but the point stands.

Not to open another topic with a related question - we're looking at picking up some air beds and camping chairs (nothing fancy or special) in Bristol the day before the festival. We don't need to worry about GO Outdoors' stock being depleted, right? I mean I can order and then collect, just not sure if I need to bother with that.

7 minutes ago, clasher said:

Not to open another topic with a related question - we're looking at picking up some air beds and camping chairs (nothing fancy or special) in Bristol the day before the festival. We don't need to worry about GO Outdoors' stock being depleted, right? I mean I can order and then collect, just not sure if I need to bother with that.

If you’re in Bristol, they also have an Argos in the centre and also Wilko do a few bits like air beds too if you get stuck as well as Sports Direct. I’m sure Both of these are in Shepton Mallet too if you’re coming in from that side of the festival. If you’re coming in from Glastonbury side, we also have Clark’s Village in Street too that have places to buy these. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clasher said:

I worked the festival in 2019 and was required on site on the Tuesday from a coach that departed Bristol early in the morning....Monday afternoon I took a train to Bristol and booked into a hotel ahead of the early departure to site.

It was only when I checked into my room (and then rang my girlfriend at home) that I realised I had left my sleeping bag in our hallway! 

This was at about 4pm....I managed to race to this Cotswold Outdoor shop ( https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/stores/bristol-new-broadmead.html  ) who had everything you needed, and tbh you wouldn't have even known Glastonbury was on that weekend, everything was in full stock.

• Thanks 1