Faithless 2002

Boomtowner

Just watching this on Youtube and getting myself in the mood. It was my first festival and I credit this set as changing my life. What I'd heard of Faithless on the radio I hadn't liked, I was at Glastonbury under duress, and was only near the front to get a good spot for Coldplay! But f**k me, what a performance, what a set, I was blown away.

Now 20+ years later and many festivals later, I look back on that evening with amazing fondness.

So my questions are;

1) Who was there?

2) Anyone had another band (that they weren't a fan of) blow them truly out of the water

3) Maxi put in an awesome performance that night, so much energy. Which artist do you think gave it there all on the Pyramid?

7 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

Just watching this on Youtube and getting myself in the mood. It was my first festival and I credit this set as changing my life. What I'd heard of Faithless on the radio I hadn't liked, I was at Glastonbury under duress, and was only near the front to get a good spot for Coldplay! But f**k me, what a performance, what a set, I was blown away.

Now 20+ years later and many festivals later, I look back on that evening with amazing fondness.

So my questions are;

1) Who was there?

2) Anyone had another band (that they weren't a fan of) blow them truly out of the water

3) Maxi put in an awesome performance that night, so much energy. Which artist do you think gave it there all on the Pyramid?

Maxi was great at making you feel it.

Jazzworld was '98 in the downpour with a small crowd and in '99 with perfect weather and a packed field. I was at the '99 one, I'd been listening to their albums but wasn't expecting them to be that good. Perfect festival band. 

Orbital headlined Jazzworld the night after, only heard one Orbital song before that but been a fan ever since. 

Yep, I was there, pretty close to the front. It was also my first festival. 21 years and many festivals on, this still sits up there as one of my favourite sets. Obviously there will have been a lot of attendees there for a decent spot for Coldplay, but I’d say a lot of folk walked away with a new found love of Maxi et al.

1 minute ago, Control Shift Delete said:

Yep, I was there, pretty close to the front. It was also my first festival. 21 years and many festivals on, this still sits up there as one of my favourite sets. Obviously there will have been a lot of attendees there for a decent spot for Coldplay, but I’d say a lot of folk walked away with a new found love of Maxi et al.

That was definitely me, loved the Coldplay performance, but the one etched in my memory is that performance. 

For those that were there (I was a little pissed when I posted and I forgot to ask my original question). What time did they come on, as my distinct memory was of the sun setting over the Pyramid, but that time of year, that's not until after 10. Were the subs on later back in the day?

I was there - my first Glastonbury (having done Reading plenty of times before that).  I was also in the Pyramid field mainly to get a decent spot for Coldplay.   Loved the Faithless set - not as life-changing as it obviously was for you, but definitely a lesson that "most things are better live vs the recorded version"!

Also - Glastonbury 2002 - how EMPTY was it, compared with now.  First year of the superfence, virtually no gatecrashers - I think they only sold around 60,000 tickets that year!