Football 2023/24

charlierc

On 11/2/2023 at 5:33 AM, thetime said:

It's more about players turning on the manager, than fans. 

Isn't this contrasting with this:

20 hours ago, thetime said:

The only season we've had successive top 4 finishes was in covid times and no crowds, so doesn't really count. 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

I don't think so, just shows how little character united players have more than anything. Majority of fans know where the issues are, rather than the manager(s). 

I realise that as someone who only encounters armchair fans and internet fans I'm mostly seeing the worst and most entitled section of glory fans, but my experience is very much that the fans still keep on blaming managers as well.

49 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I realise that as someone who only encounters armchair fans and internet fans I'm mostly seeing the worst and most entitled section of glory fans, but my experience is very much that the fans still keep on blaming managers as well.

I would say ten hag is getting away with a few dodgy decisions and quotes, due to previous managers and the ownership.

Dropping varane for evans for they city game, was obsurd state of affairs. 

Ten Hag will be gone, that's how it works at united. 

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

How long do you give him?

I would say by Christmas if it does not improve, more likely Easter. Losing 7 out of the last 12 games, scraping wins against the bottom 2. Big month which should be winnable games, goes well and it is stabilised and through to the knock out stages of the champions league. Goes badly, then he could be gone at the end of the month. 

League  Fulham, luton and everton.

champions league - Copenhagen and Galatasaray away. 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

I would say by Christmas if it does not improve, more likely Easter. Losing 7 out of the last 12 games, scraping wins against the bottom 2. Big month which should be winnable games, goes well and it is stabilised and through to the knock out stages of the champions league. Goes badly, then he could be gone at the end of the month. 

I think Fulham might take points off them, they’ll beat Luton and then an Everton win confirms his fate. Is Galatasaray away still a ‘Welcome to Hell’ trip?

15 hours ago, thetime said:

Certainly a home loss to Luton wouldn't exactly help. Even if Fulham and Copenhagen away precede it. But it does feel like the pressure is rising in an unsustainable manner.

12 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I think Fulham might take points off them, they’ll beat Luton and then an Everton win confirms his fate. Is Galatasaray away still a ‘Welcome to Hell’ trip?

Well they lost at home to Galatasaray a few weeks ago, so it's not as if it's going to be easy.

Swindon 4-7 Aldershot sounded like more fun than the Newcastle v Arsenal game, which seemed at times like the two teams wanted to kick the sh*t out of one another.

Naturally gonna take the W ofc. Not an easy game and the goal was both super scrappy and one VAR really seemed to have its work cut out for. But hey. 7 unbeaten, beat a top 4 chaser, we roll with it.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Swindon 4-7 Aldershot sounded like more fun than the Newcastle v Arsenal game, which seemed at times like the two teams wanted to kick the sh*t out of one another.

Naturally gonna take the W ofc. Not an easy game and the goal was both super scrappy and one VAR really seemed to have its work cut out for. But hey. 7 unbeaten, beat a top 4 chaser, we roll with it.

We were 7-0 up in that match! Obviously result of the day and an amazing achievement but that late flurry of Swindon goals irks a little.

7 hours ago, Neil said:

glad to see the Aldershot chat? not often they're worth talking about.

We’ve been an embarrassment the past five years. One of our last managers only had proper experience working with youth and got very defensive at a fans’ forum when challenged on the dour, negative, defeat-driven football, saying he should be ‘managing England’ with his qualifications.

He got those on a management course with Steven Gerrard.

11 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

We were 7-0 up in that match! Obviously result of the day and an amazing achievement but that late flurry of Swindon goals irks a little.

It's quite wild tbf. I noted as well that Swindon picked more or less the same team that had played in the league the previous weekend, so to be 7-0 up against that is quite magnificent, even with the faintly ridiculous linear sequence of it being followed by 4 Swindon goals. Had they started a few minutes earlier they might even have cut further into such a deficit.

More VAR saga, haha:

Mikel Arteta after Liverpool FC had a legitimate goal rulled out by a massive VAR mistake against Tottenham: "They are trying to make the best decisions. We need to understand that mistakes happen." (October 2023)

Mikel Arteta after Newcastle United scored a controversial goal against his Arsenal team and was not ruled out by VAR: "It’s embarrassing, It’s a disgrace, that’s what it is, a disgrace."

4 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

More VAR saga, haha:

Mikel Arteta after Liverpool FC had a legitimate goal rulled out by a massive VAR mistake against Tottenham: "They are trying to make the best decisions. We need to understand that mistakes happen." (October 2023)

Mikel Arteta after Newcastle United scored a controversial goal against his Arsenal team and was not ruled out by VAR: "It’s embarrassing, It’s a disgrace, that’s what it is, a disgrace."

That's football though isn't it? Everyone will use whatever stick they can do to complain when it suits them, and Arteta has a reputation of being a strong complainer.

I thought last night's game was very difficult to officiate. Havertz's tackle on Longstaff was idiotic and I suspect if it had been shown a red at first that it wouldn't have been overturned, Bruno was very lucky that VAR opted against punishing his forearm smash on Jorginho, both of those two then committed even more offences in a good effort to get sent off, and ofc there was the goal.

My view is that the Gabriel foul was the likeliest of the three that would've seen it called off - it may have just stayed in but there was no good camera angle to show for sure, and it looks like Gordon was behind the ball when it came to him. There's a case it could've been a shove although Gabriel's awkward positioning may have been a contributory factor as to why it's ruled Joelinton didn't foul him. It certainly deflects from Arsenal totally switching off when the move came.

Indeed as I was writing this last post, Arsenal put out a club statement saying they backed Arteta's statements after yesterday's game complaining about everything. So clearly they're doubling down.

There does seem to be a constituency moreso than usual of the aggrieved tbf. Liverpool's anger after what happened at Spurs has been very well documented while Wolves seem to have a lot of reasons for complaints for at least 4 debatable calls.

17 hours ago, thetime said:

Arteta and klopps reactions are quite embarrassing. Dodgy decisions, but it happens. 

Get over it.

Tbf at least Liverpool had legitimate grievances over VAR f**king something up with that goal, even if they took it a step or three too far. Ironically Arsenal did against Brentford last season when the VAR forgot to draw the lines.

It may be best for all too move on. And given the Champions League is on this week we are going to be moving on quickly enough. Already more noting to see if we can get something at Dortmund, or at least hope they're still fragile after getting demolished by Kane and the gang at the weekend.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

Tbf at least Liverpool had legitimate grievances over VAR f**king something up with that goal, even if they took it a step or three too far. Ironically Arsenal did against Brentford last season when the VAR forgot to draw the lines.

It may be best for all too move on. And given the Champions League is on this week we are going to be moving on quickly enough. Already more noting to see if we can get something at Dortmund, or at least hope they're still fragile after getting demolished by Kane and the gang at the weekend.

I'm fearing a backlash right now, particularly with our injuries. We're absolutely f**ked if Gordon and Almiron get tired in this upcoming stint of games.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

soon we'll have ai making the decisions.