Football 2023/24

charlierc

Genuinely not sure which of the Liverpool equaliser at Arsenal or Arsenal's second goal yesterday was the worse blunder.

Makes for an interesting title race now though. I think Man City are still favourites but a March that contains a Manchester derby, Liverpool away, Brighton away and Arsenal is a pivotal one.

Meanwhile, Chelsea losing 4-2 at home to Wolves - ouch.

3 hours ago, lost said:

blue cards / sin bins to be tried apparently?

They've been talking about sin bins as an idea for years. Though it is interesting how this has moved in fairness given once upon a time it was seen as a genuinely good idea and now a lot of against modern football types are calling sin bins the work of the devil.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

They've been talking about sin bins as an idea for years. Though it is interesting how this has moved in fairness given once upon a time it was seen as a genuinely good idea and now a lot of against modern football types are calling sin bins the work of the devil.

first team to fill the bin will be leeds!

i quite like the thing in rugby, of a ten minute sin bin with a video ref then deciding if its a red card offence and being able to upgrade it. Can only imagine the shouts of bribery and corruption when the first couple of upgrades happen in a high profile fixture in the prem 😄

On 2/8/2024 at 7:28 PM, charlierc said:

all jokes aside, i can see far fewer yellow cards, and much fewer reds for two yellows. seema a bit pointless to weaken the current sanctions.

23 hours ago, balti-pie said:

i quite like the thing in rugby, of a ten minute sin bin with a video ref then deciding if its a red card offence and being able to upgrade it. Can only imagine the shouts of bribery and corruption when the first couple of upgrades happen in a high profile fixture in the prem 😄

That happens every week anyway so it wouldn't be that hard to imagine.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

all jokes aside, i can see far fewer yellow cards, and much fewer reds for two yellows. seema a bit pointless to weaken the current sanctions.

I guess there's the argument as to whether this will really discourage people talking back to the referees any more than just giving out zero tolerance more yellow cards for it. Though they were meant to be doing that this season and it doesn't seem quite as frequent as it did in the opening weeks of the campaign.

It's odd tbf because there's certainly been people hypothesising for years on so-called "orange card" fouls that are worse than a yellow but not quite red.

if everton finish in the bottom three they should be saved from relegation cos thry could have been given a punishment of relegation, but weren't.

When Harry Kane to Bayern Munich was confirmed, many people thought it was Kane going for an easy trophy due to Bayern's Bundesliga domination.

And yet, here we are, with Munich having just been thrashed 3-0 by a still-unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen who are now 5 points clear.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

if everton finish in the bottom three they should be saved from relegation cos thry could have been given a punishment of relegation, but weren't.

But that's now how that works. Last season Reading had 6 points deducted in the Championship and that proved pivotal in sending them down, as it was for Sheffield Wednesday a few years earlier.

I will say that it's shaping up differently to how people thought it would go. Many thought that this was a season for Everton to take the 10 point hit due to the newly promoted clubs being below the usual standard, but Luton suddenly having a run over Xmas/NY (admittedly halted yesterday by Sheffield Utd) has thrown that into question.

I do think it would be a bit much for the Premier League to give Everton another deduction though.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

When Harry Kane to Bayern Munich was confirmed, many people thought it was Kane going for an easy trophy due to Bayern's Bundesliga domination.

And yet, here we are, with Munich having just been thrashed 3-0 by a still-unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen who are now 5 points clear.

You can take the boy out of Tottenham

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I even saw someone suggesting England's best chances at this summer's Euros could be to leave Kane at home, such is the feeling some have of him being a curse.

lmao. I don't in the slightest bit believe that, but that's legit hilarious.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

the funniest thing ever would be if Spurs win the Premier league

less funny than you thinking they might. 😛 

Two headlines from today. Man Utd are competing with the most expensive squad ever assembled £1.2 billion, and Wolves as far as I can see a very well run club will still need to sell Pedro Neto to meet FFP obligations. I know I keep saying it but the rules are not right somewhere.

7 hours ago, lost said:

Two headlines from today. Man Utd are competing with the most expensive squad ever assembled £1.2 billion, and Wolves as far as I can see a very well run club will still need to sell Pedro Neto to meet FFP obligations. I know I keep saying it but the rules are not right somewhere.

I dont see how it relates to united to be honest. Wolves obviously were over spending for the size of club they are.

The previous 5 seasons they have spent around 600m and a net spend of around 400m. They had to sell big last sumner, need to do so again. 

On 2/12/2024 at 7:03 PM, kaosmark2 said:

lmao. I don't in the slightest bit believe that, but that's legit hilarious.

Guessing the fact that Bayern Munich lost the first leg of their Champions League tie to Lazio last night doesn't help that impression.

27 minutes ago, thetime said:

I dont see how it relates to united to be honest. Wolves obviously were over spending for the size of club they are.

The previous 5 seasons they have spent around 600m and a net spend of around 400m. They had to sell big last sumner, need to do so again. 

Talking of Man Utd and their monies, I find it puzzling the new joint regime at Old Trafford is willing to spend £10M+ on Newcastle's Director of Football. I would not be so snooty as to say he must stay at all costs, more that other DoFs with a decent track record and no club are currently available and that it's odd to think English football has now gone from seeing that position as a bit of a joke to now thinking that one is worth that much. But maybe it'll help with the Toon's FFP or something.

Admittedly I'd have been more desperate to say he must stay at all costs had we not had a summer where imo our business didn't really work. Though this could just be me being pouty given Callum Wilson being out for 3 months just adds to our comically bad injury problems.

Wolves' situation is something if I wonder has to do with Fosun pulling their spending as much as anything. Though I expected Pedro Neto to leave anyway as he's clearly been playing at an exceptional level and Wolves are probably not going to be in Europe next season.

Edited by charlierc

48 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Talking of Man Utd and their monies, I find it puzzling the new joint regime at Old Trafford is willing to spend £10M+ on Newcastle's Director of Football. I would not be so snooty as to say he must stay at all costs, more that other DoFs with a decent track record and no club are currently available and that it's odd to think English football has now gone from seeing that position as a bit of a joke to now thinking that one is worth that much. But maybe it'll help with the Toon's FFP or something.

Admittedly I'd have been more desperate to say he must stay at all costs had we not had a summer where imo our business didn't really work. Though this could just be me being pouty given Callum Wilson being out for 3 months just adds to our comically bad injury problems.

Wolves' situation is something if I wonder has to do with Fosun pulling their spending as much as anything. Though I expected Pedro Neto to leave anyway as he's clearly been playing at an exceptional level and Wolves are probably not going to be in Europe next season.

I think it's literally just they're realised they're throwing money away and seeing if they can find a different way to do it.

53 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't really follow director of footballs, but its a position united have been crying out for. If Man Utd come calling, he will go there thats for sure. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Wolves obviously were over spending for the size of club they are.

Wolves broke the british transfer record in 1979 when they signed Andy Gray from Villa.