Football 2023/24

charlierc

1 hour ago, thetime said:

When you think where you've been for a decade, 7th is a great season. Think we've discussed before, it's going to be incredibly difficult for Newcastle to do a chelsea/city.

Personally think you are just 10 years to late to have any major impact going for titles. Europa and the occasional top 4, when the likes of Liverpool are off it, is your level. 

It's about building it up imo. I was surprised we got 4th last season but I'm under no illusions of yet being in a place to demand it year-in year-out. It's a harder project than Man City/Chelsea because of FFP and there being a rich 6 to play against, so the main thing is ultimately about needing a few years to try to build up a top-6 level income as much as anything. Won't be easy ofc.

Certainly it's one of the few reasons why there's a merit in tickets being only for members paying £40 a go, much as I hate it as it makes it much harder for someone like me who lives down south and can only go to 2/3 games a year to go.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

Off titles yes. I'd like to think winning a cup might be doable before that.

Given some of the names who have won cups since the 1969 Fairs Cup title Newcastle won, I'd like to think it could've been doable before now. But it's worth trying to get one in. After all, the floodgates opened for Man City by winning the FA Cup in 2011 while there's that thing of going "If Blackburn, Birmingham, Swansea or Wigan can do it..."

Edited by charlierc

23 hours ago, Neil said:

ratcliffe talking about man utd quitting old trafford, and trying to get the govt to pay for the new stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68361025

It's quite something how quickly some people went from seeing him as Man Utd's saviour to now thinking he might not be all that was cracked up to be. Being on the fence on the Mason Greenwood case didn't exactly endear him to people either.

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It's quite something how quickly some people went from seeing him as Man Utd's saviour to now thinking he might not be all that was cracked up to be. Being on the fence on the Mason Greenwood case didn't exactly endear him to people either.

richest club in the country and richest tax avoider want govt hand_out - its not a good look????

55 minutes ago, Neil said:

richest club in the country and richest tax avoider want govt hand_out - its not a good look????

The i paper is reporting the government said no to public money for this exercise. So they'll have to - heaven forfend - pay for it themselves.

Same, presumably, with the Dan Ashworth case, given they seemed to think Newcastle would just hand him over. Imo a deal is there to be done for him, but it's gonna require more than just "Be a shame to have him do nothing for two years"

On 2/22/2024 at 6:01 PM, charlierc said:

I dont know any utd fan who saw him as a saviour, online or offline. Just a better alternative to sport washing or the glazers. 

Which not many could argue with really. 

I don't think I fully registered that Sven Botman played on for 2 games with ACL damage and refused surgery because it would've ended his season in September. Which may add another reason why our defence looks flimsy given he had a bit of a shocker yesterday. Plus the lack of an out-and-out holding midfielder doesn't help.

Quite something one of the few Newcastle players to get credit yesterday was Loris Karius, to the point where I've seen some suggest make him number one until Nick Pope returns.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:14 PM, thetime said:

I dont know any utd fan who saw him as a saviour, online or offline. Just a better alternative to sport washing or the glazers. 

Maybe it's the nature of the beast where you see certain things in Twixter's for you bollocks where it pops up.

Losing at home to Fulham and it being kinda deserved judging by the highlights indicates there's room for improvement.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Losing at home to Fulham and it being kinda deserved judging by the highlights indicates there's room for improvement.

Fulham more then deserved there win, Utd were dreadful. Lots of improvement, although the rumour of ross barkley signing does not bode well. 

On 2/23/2024 at 7:14 PM, thetime said:

He'll milk the club like the glazers. You Don't become the richest tax avoider by leaving profits in a company .

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Fulham more then deserved there win, Utd were dreadful. Lots of improvement, although the rumour of ross barkley signing does not bode well. 

Yeah that was quite an unexpected rumour. I know he's had an exceptional season at Luton in his first spell in the Premier League for a little while, and best run in the PL for even longer, but there's a difference between excelling there and at Old Trafford.

22 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yeah that was quite an unexpected rumour. I know he's had an exceptional season at Luton in his first spell in the Premier League for a little while, and best run in the PL for even longer, but there's a difference between excelling there and at Old Trafford.

must be easy to excel at OT the standards are so low.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Grudgingly that was top class by Liverpool today. 

I'm genuinely puzzled as to the disallowed goal for Liverpool. I understand the reason why, but I don't think Colwill was getting there or was van Dijk's marker (that was Chilwell, who was basically pulling on the shirt the whole way into the box).

Chelsea have themselves to blame as well. They missed a pretty astonishing amount of chances in the final 15 or so of the 90.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

everton penalty reduced to six points

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436

2 hours ago, Neil said:

looks like a stitch-up to me, to make sure only the right teams go down.

You say that, there's still a second charge looming for breaking these rules again that might get another deduction, with Nottingham Forest also waiting on a charge for this.

Although granted, this precedent hints they may have to recalculate things differently.

Although granted, this precedent hints they may have to recalculate things differently.

yeah - city are going to get let off.

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah - city are going to get let off.

That case is going to a hearing later this year so one way or another it will be resolved, but is being conducted under such a level of secrecy that not many people know the specifics. The process really needs to be more transparent but it's not being brushed away.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That case is going to a hearing later this year so one way or another it will be resolved, but is being conducted under such a level of secrecy that not many people know the specifics. The process really needs to be more transparent but it's not being brushed away.

Might not get resolved just like it hasn't been on the other occasions

22 hours ago, Neil said:

Might not get resolved just like it hasn't been on the other occasions

Well, this is the issue with how the case is set up. There's different apparatus clearly required to decide if a team broke the limit over a 3-year financial report cycle than if a team spent 10 years fundamentally breaking the rules. The Premier League really should've taken the lead of the EFL, who actually had a process set up for this, even if it just seems to be repeatedly punishing clubs as is being seen at Reading, who have just this week been docked points again. 

The Everton case is imo why I think the Premier League needs to lift its loss-limit for a 3 year cycle. I know I'll be accused of bias because FFP/PSR is what Newcastle were blaming for not buying any players in January despite a squad that's looked like its running out of steam needing a few reinforcements, but I think a limit unchanged since its introduction in 2015/16 has failed to keep up with inflation, both real-world and football-specific inflation where transfer fees & wages have exploded.

Though saying that, if they did lift the limit, agents would just try and get it into higher wages and commissions. So... pfft.

Well, this is the issue with how the case is set up. There's different apparatus clearly required to decide if a team broke the limit over a 3-year financial report cycle than if a team spent 10 years fundamentally breaking the rules. The Premier League really should've taken the lead of the EFL, who actually had a process set up for this, even if it just seems to be repeatedly punishing clubs as is being seen at Reading, who have just this week been docked points again. 

The Everton case is imo why I think the Premier League needs to lift its loss-limit for a 3 year cycle. I know I'll be accused of bias because FFP/PSR is what Newcastle were blaming for not buying any players in January despite a squad that's looked like its running out of steam needing a few reinforcements, but I think a limit unchanged since its introduction in 2015/16 has failed to keep up with inflation, both real-world and football-specific inflation where transfer fees & wages have exploded.

Though saying that, if they did lift the limit, agents would just try and get it into higher wages and commissions. So... pfft.

Yep totally biased. 😉