Why so difficult to get tickets!!

Kazual

Have been 11 times in 12 possible festivals (one was missed due to backpacking and another I worked for Oxfam).

I do think it is having as many people try for you as possible. The issue is those idiots who don't IMMEDIATELY let everyone they know trying know their ticket is secured.

Are there actually any secrets to getting a ticket? Or is it just luck? I see forums where they say if you have multiple devices on an IP address try, that can block. 

Maybe it is simply a case of overthinking...

22 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

what is this please

I think for the resale this year they had a different system where you didn’t have to pay for the tickets immediately or something? Like once you were through there your ticket was secured. So there’d be no issue with failed payments etc. Someone more knowledgable than me can confirm 

This was my first Glasto and I've definitely caught the bug. I was the one who got through to get the tickets in the general sale and it really was just pure luck. I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact I probably won't get there again next year as I don't have the massive numbers that some people seem to be able to get to help them. Although if I can at least get a group of 6 together there may be a small chance. 

One thing this new system is really likely to catch out is those who have someone in their group that is double dipping between groups. Because of the increased velocity of the sale, it feels like it's going to be harder to recover from an error, like someone in your group already having a ticket against their registration.

23 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Isn't it actually the case that he allows those charities to operate at the festival.  I don't believe he or glastonbury Ltd make contributions?

You not knowing they give two million quid a year to charity would certainly explain you not thinking they give a lot to charity. 

If they keep the new system and don’t artificially slow the sale down you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think it will be significantly harder. With the old system even with a 30 minute sale many people will start to lose interest after 10 minutes if they’ve had no joy, I’m sure we’ve all had idiots in our own groups turning to Whatssap and messaging they’ve had no luck when instead they could be refreshing. That rewards anyone who keeps focus which makes it easier if you’re prepared and have common sense. Payment problems also created an opportunity, even if it happened to you earlier on, if you know what you’re doing you would still have another shot yourself anyway, but it happening to other people created an opportunity for you. Also, I’m sure we’ve all had the white screen of death initially, but eventually got on to the site ok.

Get the white screen of death this year? Curtains, they’ll be sold out before you can get on. No chance for anyone to lose interest and give you a chance for persisting for 20/30 minutes, they’ll be sold out before anyone has a chance to lose interest. No chance of refreshing after it’s supposedly sold out and getting tickets that have popped up through payment failures, that will now be impossible.

There is absolutely no way in hell the new system (without being throttled) wouldn’t essentially become a pseudo ballot. 

Edited by Jose Pose

On 6/28/2023 at 7:51 PM, Barry Fish said:

Didn't he only start doing this stuff when things where out hand and the festival was under threat of being closed down?

Build the wall, keep out the ticket less and all that.

when  the festival was at risk of being closed down he started to take the need to comply with the licence very seriously.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 11:53 PM, mikeyb123 said:

I think the BBC’s coverage of the festival aids this. The coverage is in general, excellent, with so many acts you can watch and enjoy. The camera work is brilliant and there seems to have been a shift in the last few years to focus more on the crowd living every minute.  It creates this utopia that you can only feel envious of whilst watching on the tv, and then when you realise that’s not even half of what’s going on, then that creates the demand. So many must watch it and say they want to go again, or for the first time. Who wouldn’t? The biggest party on earth for 5 days. Helped the weathers been amazing the last few festivals. 

Every year a whole lot of friends ask me after watching the BBC coverage how you get to go.  I explain, tell them to register etc.  None of them ever follow through come October, but I guess there are also people who do, and so the number of people who want to go increases year after year.  That, and the last muddy year was 2016, if memory serves me right.